Ohio, Chardon High School shooting, 3 dead.

Page 6 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
I don't think anyone or everyone is capable of such a crime. Most people probably not or we would have an awful lot of dead people. Just be careful who you bully because you never know if that person is capable of giving it back to you in a very lethal way.

I would argue that most people could be pushed to the point they would do horrible things.

Most people feel like it, but no, most people probably aren't capable of going the distance to do something like that. As I said, there would be an awful lot more of these crimes if that were true.

I think suicide and homocide are the two things anyone could be pushed to commit for the most part......of course under the right conditions. Some people simply never experience the conditions that allow for it, some people do but for whatever reason have enough control not to act on it some people don't have that control...then of course there are the rare individuals who enjoy causing pain and misery for others, or maybe not so rare who knows.

But there is no way for me to prove it so it certainly remains open to debate.

I have experienced the conditions in the worst way, more than once, so I know what I'm talking about. We should just speak for ourselves then and that way there will be no arguments. I'm speaking for myself and based on that your statement isn't true.

Well that is why I said for the most part, I can't prove it really its just my opinion based on the knowledge I have. Also the conditions that drive people to these kinds of things can vary quite a bit. But I cannot tell someone how they feel or if they've ever felt like doing something so horrible. I can just say in my experience I've had thoughts and did not act on them at least when it came to harming others.

Feeling like doing something and actually being able to do it is very different. I have had those feelings too. I just know from experience I can't be pushed to go there.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:16 pm

skylat: you are making the same point I am...

Speaking as someone who has had a complete psychotic break, not everyone is capable of it... When I was beyond all reasoning, the cognitive dissonance of doing something so completely against my own personal ethos actually snapped me out of it and brought me back to reason...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

eigerpere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
eigerpere wrote:
I don't think anyone or everyone is capable of such a crime. Most people probably not or we would have an awful lot of dead people. Just be careful who you bully because you never know if that person is capable of giving it back to you in a very lethal way.

I would argue that most people could be pushed to the point they would do horrible things.

Most people feel like it, but no, most people probably aren't capable of going the distance to do something like that. As I said, there would be an awful lot more of these crimes if that were true.

I think suicide and homocide are the two things anyone could be pushed to commit for the most part......of course under the right conditions. Some people simply never experience the conditions that allow for it, some people do but for whatever reason have enough control not to act on it some people don't have that control...then of course there are the rare individuals who enjoy causing pain and misery for others, or maybe not so rare who knows.

But there is no way for me to prove it so it certainly remains open to debate.

I have experienced the conditions in the worst way, more than once, so I know what I'm talking about. We should just speak for ourselves then and that way there will be no arguments. I'm speaking for myself and based on that your statement isn't true.

Well that is why I said for the most part, I can't prove it really its just my opinion based on the knowledge I have. Also the conditions that drive people to these kinds of things can vary quite a bit. But I cannot tell someone how they feel or if they've ever felt like doing something so horrible. I can just say in my experience I've had thoughts and did not act on them at least when it came to harming others.

Feeling like doing something and actually being able to do it is very different. I have had those feelings too. I just know from experience I can't be pushed to go there.

I actually don't know for sure what would have happened had I actually had access to a gun or bomb materials. And don't particularly like thinking about it...but then again the wanting to stick to my beliefs about not causing harm to people might have been enough in that case as well I can't say for sure. And I don't know what goes on in everyone's mind so I certainly cannot say every single person who ever exists could be pushed to do that the only way to prove it would be to make everyone's life pure hell and see if they resort to killing someone or maybe their self and that would be cruel so I don't think its going to happen.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 7:47 pm

In a report I read, the bullying has been disputed. The fact that one of the "random" victims was dating one of the shooters ex-girlfriends was mentioned by a friend of the victim, but not determined as a motivation for the crime.

Hunting is big in my area, and it's a part of life from a very young age. There are arsenals of weapons within many homes, that are fully accessible to the youth of the household. The youth are taught responsible measures in respecting the firearms, I think, for the most part.

I read in a report that a number of guns were found in relatives homes. If this child was troubled in the past, easy access to firearms, was not a good idea in relatives homes. And, from a latest report below it appears that he may have taken the Gun from his grandfather's barn.

No one can say, at this point, whether or not the crime would have happened if the guns weren't accessible in the relative's homes, but it certainly would have reduced the potential; particularly if it was a result of an emotional disturbance. Having easy access to guns, certainly didn't help the situation.

Locking guns up doesn't prevent much for the ones that have access, but it can definitely prevent those that don't need access, from misusing guns.

It appears that as a society that we are fairly desensitized to the danger of the frailities of the human mind as opposed to the consequences of pulling a trigger.

The greatest numbers of deaths caused by guns are through domestic violence and suicide; Sure people can find other methods, but nothing quite as easy as pulling a trigger. It is a dangerous proposition for an adult or child with a history of psychological difficulties, to have easy access to one.

And, probably a harder proposition for an individual to understand that they no longer should have access to one, if they start to experience problems.

We have the freedom to defend ourselves, but there is an inherent danger in that freedom, that most anyone can succumb to under the proper circumstances, because of the fraility of the human condition.

Responsible storage and respect for the extent of the danger of guns, can't hurt.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hXNMBiUqWrA7FcwVz2T_hSx18_Ug?docId=81560f25b3de4f428957bfc2b7e409fd

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

Maybe if I was equipped to cope and survive inside a prison system I would be inclined to pick up a weapon and seek revenge or retaliation in a heated moment. Somehow I seriously doubt it. I have a lot of control that some people I have experienced in my personal life severely lack. I have always been that way though even as a child, very restrained even in the most oppressive and extreme circumstances. Even my siblings didn't have that kind of control and we're related. It's a tough call with the weapons issue as well. There are other weapons available if someone is that raving mad, and I certainly have been many times. I guess a person only knows once they have been pushed to that level enough times whether or not they are capable of going through with it. I'm not, that much I do know.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

ghostar wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. This kid may be proof that, yes, the popular, over achieving, well liked and admired, intelligent, handsome member of the student body is quite capable of planning and executing a crime of this nature. He is not sick. His behavior should not be excused just because he was 'good' before.

But, since these facts might mean anyone is capable of this, not just the dark, maladjusted types or the loners or the lonely victims of bullies, these facts could very well be swept under the carpet. The truth about the inner monster is just too threatening, dangerous and damaging to the mainstream which seems to require a phantom boogeyman in order to feel safe from their own turbulent psyches.

This is a very insightful post in my opinion. Perhaps those that are unwilling to accept that they have a dark side are the ones in the most danger of having it take them over?

A lot of denial goes on.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 8:07 pm

I find it amusing too when people think they know you better than you know yourself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. This kid may be proof that, yes, the popular, over achieving, well liked and admired, intelligent, handsome member of the student body is quite capable of planning and executing a crime of this nature. He is not sick. His behavior should not be excused just because he was 'good' before.

But, since these facts might mean anyone is capable of this, not just the dark, maladjusted types or the loners or the lonely victims of bullies, these facts could very well be swept under the carpet. The truth about the inner monster is just too threatening, dangerous and damaging to the mainstream which seems to require a phantom boogeyman in order to feel safe from their own turbulent psyches.

We all have our own "inner monster". Given the right conditions, even the most kind and rational among us is capable of hoisting the black flag, picking up a razor, and slitting throats.

Quote:
... All that is required are: (1) The means to commit the crime; (2) Sufficient motivation to commit the crime; (3) The opportunities to commit the crime, or the victims to commit the crime against; and (4) The ability to hold and operate a firearm.

Most people are simply not sufficiently motivated.

:skull:

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

^ You really should just speak for yourself. Your views are all your own.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 8:18 pm

eigerpere wrote:

I am speaking for myself.

Why are you harassing me?

It would be better for all concerned if you were to just say that you disagree with me, instead of trying to limit what I can post.

Better yet, why not just ignore me?

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
eigerpere wrote:

Why are you harassing me?

It would be better for all concerned if you were to just say that you disagree with me, instead of trying to limit what I can post.

Better yet, why not just ignore me?

I disagree with you and wish you didn't say "everyone" and "most" so often when trying to say something. Those statements are offensive at times depending on what you're saying. I will definitely ignore you in the future.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

eigerpere wrote:
I find it amusing too when people think they know you better than you know yourself.

There is the potential for anyone's psychological state to change, to the point where they no longer know themselves very well. Alzeihmer's and dementia are extreme conditions for an example, but the self we know today, may not be the self we know tommorrow or decades from now.

We are animals, nothing more, nothing less, subject to the same rules of uncertainty. Many of the differences we see, are in large, part of an illusion. Most of us seek order, with that illusion; that too, is part of our nature.

Not likely that many people that own a gun, bought it with any idea, that they might use it on themselves or there current loved ones on a future date. World views change, and temporary problems can become permanent ones.

That has nothing to do with your current state of mind, just the general condition of being human. There are no guarantees, for the future, not even the ones we believe we own for ourselves, today.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

aghogday wrote:
eigerpere wrote:

There is the potential for anyone's psychological state to change, to the point where they no longer know themselves very well. Alzeihmer's and dementia are extreme conditions for an example, but the self we know today, may not be the self we know tommorrow or decades from now.

We are animals, nothing more, nothing less, subject to the same rules of uncertainty. Many of the differences we see, are in large, part of an illusion. Most of us seek order, with that illusion; that too, is part of our nature.

Not likely that many people that own a gun, bought it with any idea, that they might use it on themselves or there current loved ones on a future date. World views change, and temporary problems can become permanent ones.

That has nothing to do with your current state of mind, just the general condition of being human. There are no guarantees, for the future, not even the ones we believe we own for ourselves, today.

We're not also talking about the advent of a diseased brain. You are free to believe however you like and allow others to do the same.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm

Fnord wrote:

Not according to this:
Fnord wrote:
Given the right conditions, even the most kind and rational among us is capable of hoisting the black flag, picking up a razor, and slitting throats.

This statement is not about you. It is about others. You are arguing that all of us are capable of this kind of act. If you are speaking ONLY for yourself, then you need to choose words that reflect that.

Some of us have been pushed to the complete breaking point and learned that no - we are not capable of that crime. Cold blooded murder, I am not capable of, even in the midst of a full on psychotic break. I am sorry to disappoint you, but not all of us are capable of what you say we are.

I know, you will argue that I hadn't been pushed far enough, that I was not in the proper frame of mind, etc... but let me assure you, as one with rage issues... I was... At that point, it was a choice between continued cognitive dissonance (which was causing psychological damage) and murder. It was a rational choice (in the addled state) to commit murder. So, with rage backed by rational thought, it was decided... and i was not capable of it.

I will agree with you that MOST people are capable of it, but NOT ALL.

So... please, when speaking only for your self, only speak about yourself.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

29 Feb 2012, 11:02 pm

My calculus teacher graduated from that high school. People were calling her to see if she is OK.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm

I'm really surprised this made national news. Then again, when a coworker told me about a shooting on the east side of Cleveland I thought he was literally talking about east Cleveland, made me wonder why he was making a big deal out of it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin