Israel severs ties with UN Human Rights Council

Page 9 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 10:33 am

Billybones wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Here is my opinion on the subject: When two Palestinian mothers talk about their sons, I could imagine that at some point, one says to the other "they blow up so quickly, don't they?"

And American mothers can do the same over their sons & daughters in Iraq. We HONOR our fighters who died in Middle East wars; shouldn't they? War is war. The U.S. & Israel are not morally superior to the Palestinians, who have a legitimate right to resist occupation. Besides, this isn't exactly a fair fight. We deliver our explosives (through our Israeli proxies) to the Palestinian Arabs with bomber jets & guided missiles. They deliver theirs through suicide bombers & homemade rockets. Always there are many times more casualties on their side than ours. To lift a phrase from Donald Rumsfeld, "you fight with the army you have, not the one you wish you had".

I am always an advocate for peace & understanding. But to end this conflict, it has to be a just peace, not domination of one side over the other.

Suicide bombers that that target Israeli civilians and rockets that target civilian areas. As long as they target Israeli civilians, Israel has a right to defend itself. As far as the occupation goes, maybe if they stop attacking Israelis, then they'll stop losing land. Israel does attack them for no reason, it's usually in reaction to rocket fire in civilian areas or suicide bombers. They got control of the occupied territories during the 1967 after several Arab states attacked them first.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:51 am

Jono wrote:
Billybones wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
Here is my opinion on the subject: When two Palestinian mothers talk about their sons, I could imagine that at some point, one says to the other "they blow up so quickly, don't they?"

And American mothers can do the same over their sons & daughters in Iraq. We HONOR our fighters who died in Middle East wars; shouldn't they? War is war. The U.S. & Israel are not morally superior to the Palestinians, who have a legitimate right to resist occupation. Besides, this isn't exactly a fair fight. We deliver our explosives (through our Israeli proxies) to the Palestinian Arabs with bomber jets & guided missiles. They deliver theirs through suicide bombers & homemade rockets. Always there are many times more casualties on their side than ours. To lift a phrase from Donald Rumsfeld, "you fight with the army you have, not the one you wish you had".

I am always an advocate for peace & understanding. But to end this conflict, it has to be a just peace, not domination of one side over the other.

Suicide bombers that that target Israeli civilians and rockets that target civilian areas. As long as they target Israeli civilians, Israel has a right to defend itself.

A right to defend itself or shoot rockets at civilian areas? regardless of how many civilians are in the area?

As far as the occupation goes, maybe if they stop attacking Israelis, then they'll stop losing land. Israel does attack them for no reason, it's usually in reaction to rocket fire in civilian areas or suicide bombers. They got control of the occupied territories during the 1967 after several Arab states attacked them first.

Also maybe if Israel would quit taking land by force the palastinians might not be so pissed off about that and feel the need to resort to extremes like terrorism. Israel is not justified in everything it does anymore than the Palestinian terrorists are.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also maybe if Israel would quit taking land by force the palastinians might not be so pissed off about that and feel the need to resort to extremes like terrorism.

The extremists don't want peace. They want hate and violence and fear and terror and to keep the conflict going. The Israelis would be happy to give the Palestinians their own state but they have refused peace numerous times.

And I hope you're not trying to excuse Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians - i.e. normal people here?

How would you like it if someone claimed that murdering people in support of a right-wing political cause like anti-abortionism was justified?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:06 pm

Tequila wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Also maybe if Israel would quit taking land by force the palastinians might not be so pissed off about that and feel the need to resort to extremes like terrorism.

The extremists don't want peace. They want hate and violence and fear and terror and to keep the conflict going. The Israelis would be happy to give the Palestinians their own state but they have refused peace numerous times.

And I hope you're not trying to excuse Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians - i.e. normal people here?

How would you like it if someone claimed that murdering people in support of a right-wing political cause like anti-abortionism was justified?

Well clearly Israel doesn't want peace either. also where did I claim it's ok to murder anyone?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

I would argue that Israel wants peace--but she only wants a durable, sustainable peace.

It is pointless to buy off the Palestinians with land and cash only to have the Palestinians descend into a frenzy of internecine fighting that will necessarily spill over into Israel.

Israel's interest lie in a stable, democratic Palestine with a government that has sufficient popular support and credibility to police her own people. And only the most blinkered observer would suggest that we are anywhere close to that, today.