Oregon Board of Education Bans Native American Mascots

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 8:57 pm

My kids school is the "Fighting Choctaws" and they have tomahawks painted in the parking lot to point which way to go, and they have a big statue of an Indian Chief right inside the doors of the high school.

Most people in Alabama are part Cherokee, Creek or Choctaw. Why is it offensive to someone else to use a mascot that almost everybody has part of? Probably 90% of the people in Alabama who have been here since at least the 20's or 30's (and thats a whole lot of us) have at least one full blood Indian in our ancestry. Since most of us are part Indian, I don't think any outside group has the right to come in and tell us that we cannot use it.

I think it's ridiculous to get upset over sports team mascots. Mascots are all over the top anyway. No more Indians as mascots. No more ethnic groups at all as mascots because it's offensive. No more animals as mascots because it takes away from the dignity of the animals and violates their rights (I bet PETA would jump on that bandwagon), so what are we going to use as mascots??

The Washington Lamps
The Florida Brooms
The Atlanta Picture Frames
The New York Pillows

Eventually we will be reduced to using objects as mascots.

Please folks, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't care if they called a team The Rednecks, or The Crackers, or The Housewives, etc etc etc. People who have nothing better to get upset about than a sports mascot obviously have good, easy lives, because most people have a lot more to get upset over. Real stuff.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 10:07 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
White people will never see get insulted by sports teams that use their names?

Not really I mean I don't see what it insulting about Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Spartans, Trojans, or any other white ethnic group cause when your white their isn't anything racist you can say about a white person.

White people are impervious to racism?

:lol:

White people are the majority in the USA. The majority can't be marginalized and discriminated against by a small minority.

Or, as Louis CK sarcastically put it: "Oh no, that ruined my day. Boy, he shouldn't have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people. What a drag." :D

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 11:41 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Not really I mean I don't see what it insulting about Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Spartans, Trojans, or any other white ethnic group cause when your white their isn't anything racist you can say about a white person.

White people are the majority in the USA. The majority can't be marginalized and discriminated against by a small minority.

Or, as Louis CK sarcastically put it: "Oh no, that ruined my day. Boy, he shouldn't have called me a cracker, bringing me back to owning land and people. What a drag." :D

That's his experience.

Louis CK isn't the king of white people, and he doesn't dictate how others feel.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:59 am

snapcap wrote:
Will it ever come down to white people caring that their are sports teams with names like Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Spartans, Trojans, etc?

Political Correctness is never practiced in favor of white folks. Never, ever.

ruveyn

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 12:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Will it ever come down to white people caring that their are sports teams with names like Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Spartans, Trojans, etc?

Political Correctness is never practiced in favor of white folks. Never, ever.

ruveyn

Will they ever care, or show that they care?

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 3:09 pm

Did any native American tribe explicitly say they didn't want to be portrayed as a mascot? If the native Americans don't mind, we shouldn't either.

But it's not fair to use a tribe's image without their permission or consent. If it is a fictitious tribal group then I don't think anyone can complain.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 3:22 pm

snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Joker wrote:
snapcap wrote:

I don't think whites care about sport teams with those names.

The question wasn't "do they care about the names?", it was "will they ever care?"

Oh sorry about that I misread the questioin and my answer is no.

Why not?

Cause you really can't make a case against it.

Pretty much I mean what can you say racist to a white person that is offensive :?: also whites are attacked killed for being white by certin groups thats true but who the hell isn't :lol:

I think you need to reconsider your assumption.

Name one racial slur for a white person and I will. Oh and it is not a assumption me family all agree with this so it's a family opinon and I'm ginger white as a ghost with red hair. And of native america descent so I'll ask again what is a racial slur for some one that is white that is racist?

I don't have to. I'm white and I've been insulted by racial slurs.

8O

I think joker has a good point. Racial slurs do exist for white people, but they are not as strong.

I mean, come on, cracker vs the n-word? Gringo vs negro? Gringo and cracker are very weak compared to those two. When someone calls me those I can't take them seriously.

The worst I've ever been called was "nazi", because I have blond hair and blue eyes. But some of my closest friends, who have a darker complexion, have been called everything from the n-word to s--t face.

It is easy for white people to think something is not that big a deal but for those who are not as high in the social totem pole, it's like kicking them while they are down. This includes the story about the images of Native Americans possibly being exploited against their will.

What's the difference between the Celtics and the Native Americans as mascots? Celtics were not directly massacred by Americans. The native Americans were.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 3:36 pm

techn0teen wrote:
It is easy for white people to think something is not that big a deal but for those who are not as high in the social totem pole,

<snip>

Pun intended? ;-)

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:59 pm

techn0teen wrote:
I think joker has a good point. Racial slurs do exist for white people, but they are not as strong.

I mean, come on, cracker vs the n-word? Gringo vs negro? Gringo and cracker are very weak compared to those two. When someone calls me those I can't take them seriously.

The worst I've ever been called was "nazi", because I have blond hair and blue eyes. But some of my closest friends, who have a darker complexion, have been called everything from the n-word to s--t face.

It is easy for white people to think something is not that big a deal but for those who are not as high in the social totem pole, it's like kicking them while they are down. This includes the story about the images of Native Americans possibly being exploited against their will.

What's the difference between the Celtics and the Native Americans as mascots? Celtics were not directly massacred by Americans. The native Americans were.

What does it matter how strong they are? A racial slur is a racial slur. The only reason one word might be said to be worse than the next depends on the reaction to it.

Do you think white people should just accept being called slurs? A lot of white people don't react when called a racial slur, but should they? Why should they let other people get away with calling them a slur? Why should we tolerate a double standard?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:28 pm

jojobean wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Make up fictitious groups that happen to resemble Indians! :P

hmm well considering Orejon is a fictitious name for a real group...they may escape through a hidden loophole depending on how broadly it is enforced. So should the state of Oregon withold all state funding to the state of Oregon if its name is not changed to Jeremy in 5 years??

The irony is killing me.

Jojo

They could change their name to South Washington.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Also, the ACLU seems to have a bigger problem with Native American mascots than the tribes themselves.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 May 2012, 11:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
jojobean wrote:
John_Browning wrote:
Make up fictitious groups that happen to resemble Indians! :P

hmm well considering Orejon is a fictitious name for a real group...they may escape through a hidden loophole depending on how broadly it is enforced. So should the state of Oregon withold all state funding to the state of Oregon if its name is not changed to Jeremy in 5 years??

The irony is killing me.

Jojo

They could change their name to South Washington.

sounds like a plan :wink:
However due to political correctness, all states with native american names should change their name to some form of George Washington. We shall have no cultural exchanges due to fear of upsetting the pc sqadrons. We will "white"wash every aspect of life so diversity can be respected. :roll:

However...to keep with the conversation. I am part cherokee and the rest Irish and if some team wants to call them selves, the Indian Mutts, that would not bother me...where I come from, Oklahoma, everyone there is an Indian mixbreed. I think if a team named the Rabbis were a good team that kicked butt, I think it would be a more of a compliment than anything.

as for the white slurs....I been called white wh*re and white trash and a few other things along those lines which hits below the belt, not all white slurs are painless as cracker.

Jojo

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 May 2012, 11:34 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, the ACLU seems to have a bigger problem with Native American mascots than the tribes themselves.

There are some serious civil rights issues and constitutional rights issues perpitrated by our government...the ACLU basicly wags their finger at them but then Hounds schools about crap like this. I used to believe the ACLU had our best interest in mind, but now I see that they play games too by fighting shadow puppets while the big issues mostly get free range.
Thousands of people have wrote to ACLU about the TSA and all the violations of human decency caused by them. ACLU mentions it, talks about it and then promptly uses its legal muster to change the names of school mascots. WTF???

Jojo

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 12:59 am

Only one university in Texas had such an issue--Midwestern State University, in Wichita Falls. Until 2006, their team was the Indians, and had the official blessing of the Kiowa tribe. Nobody appeared to be offended, but the ACLU made them change it to the Mustangs.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 5:28 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

The ACLU's job is to get offended for other people if they think those people should be offended and just don't have enough sense/sensitivity to actually be offended. Their job is also to go after the offender whether the offense was intended or not.

That'll show em!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 6:44 pm

There was a documentary on TV about an Illinois school mascot being offensive to a tribe of Illinois Indians. A surprisingly moving and persuasive little independent film.

Before I saw it I was of the opinion that it was taking PC too far, and that we have White ethnic team names like the Montreal Canadiens, Nortre Dame's 'Fighting Irish', and countless schools using names like "Spartans", and 'Vikings" ( ancient warriors associated particular European ethnic groups). So whats the big deal?

But after seeing the film I not so sure.

Maybe its a matter of degree. The Atlanta "Braves" is no worse a name than the Minnesota "Vikings". But calling a team "the Washington Redskins" is a just a bit asinine in this day and age.