Scorecard: Attorney Priviledge by President

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 6:38 am

Longshanks wrote:
I too have had statistics and as a federal investigator broke one of the biggest government fraud cases in history - so yes, I do know a little about what I'm doing.

*cough* BS *cough*

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Longshanks I was essentially agreeing with you, and pointing out the outlier comment was rather ridiculous.
So you think the sample size and the simplistic counting of instances without consideration of reason or context are both meaningful?
Oh please.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jun 2012, 10:49 am

Longshanks wrote:
[to visagrunt] you're a liberal and liberals are selective and self-serving. No need to admit it. You posts say it all.
Longshanks wrote:
[to visagrunt] I only see the bias and prejudice that has appeared in your previous posts manifesting itself. You just won't admit it.

Longshanks wrote:
I'll end this post with a parting thought from Proverbs: A man's sins will be shouted from the rooftops.
I think this is much more relevant to this thread: Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 26:12

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Cornflake wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
[to visagrunt] you're a liberal and liberals are selective and self-serving. No need to admit it. You posts say it all.
Longshanks wrote:
[to visagrunt] I only see the bias and prejudice that has appeared in your previous posts manifesting itself. You just won't admit it.

Longshanks wrote:
I'll end this post with a parting thought from Proverbs: A man's sins will be shouted from the rooftops.
I think this is much more relevant to this thread: Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 26:12
I think this one would work better here: "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

Longshanks wrote:
Reagan = 3
Bush I = 1
Clinton = 14
Bush II = 6
Obama = 3 and still counting

Repubs = 10 Dems = 19

Question: Somebody seeing a pattern here? Who really has more to hide?

Longshanks

Shouldn't the tally for Obama be 1 and still counting?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

snapcap wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Reagan = 3
Bush I = 1
Clinton = 14
Bush II = 6

Repubs = 10 Dems = 19

Longshanks

If you had been paying attention these past few years snapcap, you would know this isn't the first time Obama has used executive privilege, in fact I'm wondering if Longshanks missed a few.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:38 am

Inuyasha wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Reagan = 3
Bush I = 1
Clinton = 14
Bush II = 6

Repubs = 10 Dems = 19

Longshanks

If you had been paying attention these past few years snapcap, you would know this isn't the first time Obama has used executive privilege, in fact I'm wondering if Longshanks missed a few.

Link?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Longshanks wrote:
I see no difference. I only see the bias and prejudice that has appeared in your previous posts manifesting itself. You just won't admit it.

I readily admit my biases and prejudices. However, I will leave it to an objective observer to determine whether and to what degree they are manifest in my postings.

Quote:
Obviously you are from a different state than I'm from and go to a school way different than mine. When you put your own interests before that of your client, it becomes a conflict of interest and then it's time to get out of the case - period! In my corner of the world, your conscience only dictates to you whether or not you represent the client at all and that you should do so both legally and ethically - (although it has been my observation that what I see as being ethical goes out the window once lawyers get their license). If not, you have no business practicing. After that, you represent your client legally and zealously - but HONESTLY. Obama should have remembered that before being forced to surrender his license in 2008 for lying - and I recall that Clinton lost his license for perjury.

I may have been ambiguous in my reference ot conscience, for which I will apologize. Your characterization of a reference to conscience is consistent with mine. Your conscience may properly guide you to a decision of whether or not to take on a matter, and (subject to the rules of professional conduct) may always guide you to a decision to withdraw. But I in no way meant to suggest that a lawyer's interests were elevated by that.

Now, I note your statement: "represent your client legally and zealously." Legally--you are I are in agreement here; the interests of the law come before the interests of the client. The lawyer's duty to the law (and to the court of which the lawyer is an officer) takes precedence over the lawyer's duty to the client. Always. And that, incidentally, is the reason that solicitor-client privilege exists in Anglo-American law--because it is the only way in which the lawyer's higher duty to the court can be reconciled with the interests of the client. The law carves out a special place into which the courts are prohibited from intruding in order that the hierarchy of duties can be maintained.

Quote:
But I also think that common sense should come into it - and yes, I think Obama is as guilty as hell. You don't have to agree with it. Whether you do or not is your perrogative. But Brian Terry's family suffered great loss as a result of a man who thinks he is above the law and is now being called on it. And I'll quote the beloved Rev. Wright on this one: "The chickens are coming home to roost!" I've worked on stuff more classified than what you do. And I've investigated for the DoD for four years - so I know a bunko game when I see it. A law enforcement sting like this in no way represents any vital threat to national security - and if it does, why has it not been adequately explained? However - when someone like a sitting president has alterior motives? Like - gun control, maybe? Give me a break. This guy has to go. Just like Nixon had to go. Just like Clinton should have gone. And don't tell me that your so altruistic as to not know that every lawyer is taught how to use the process to "obstruct - obstruct - obstruct" when they need to buy time - which is exactly what Obama is doing. This joker has something to hide - and it's time we found out what it is.

I'll end this post with a parting thought from Proverbs: A man's sins will be shouted from the rooftops."

Longshanks

I don't think that you are wrong here--you have reasonable grounds to believe all of the things that you have said here. My only objection comes when we elevate inference (which can give rise to a reasonable grounds for belief) to the level of evidence (which can support a conclusion on the balance of probabilities).

We know that he has claimed privilege, and we can properly infer that he is hiding something behind that privilege. But we cannot conclude that this is the case. So long as we hold that distinction clear, I will not presume to question your inferences or the beliefs that you have as a result.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
I see no difference. I only see the bias and prejudice that has appeared in your previous posts manifesting itself. You just won't admit it.

I readily admit my biases and prejudices. However, I will leave it to an objective observer to determine whether and to what degree they are manifest in my postings.

Quote:
Obviously you are from a different state than I'm from and go to a school way different than mine. When you put your own interests before that of your client, it becomes a conflict of interest and then it's time to get out of the case - period! In my corner of the world, your conscience only dictates to you whether or not you represent the client at all and that you should do so both legally and ethically - (although it has been my observation that what I see as being ethical goes out the window once lawyers get their license). If not, you have no business practicing. After that, you represent your client legally and zealously - but HONESTLY. Obama should have remembered that before being forced to surrender his license in 2008 for lying - and I recall that Clinton lost his license for perjury.

I may have been ambiguous in my reference ot conscience, for which I will apologize. Your characterization of a reference to conscience is consistent with mine. Your conscience may properly guide you to a decision of whether or not to take on a matter, and (subject to the rules of professional conduct) may always guide you to a decision to withdraw. But I in no way meant to suggest that a lawyer's interests were elevated by that.

Now, I note your statement: "represent your client legally and zealously." Legally--you are I are in agreement here; the interests of the law come before the interests of the client. The lawyer's duty to the law (and to the court of which the lawyer is an officer) takes precedence over the lawyer's duty to the client. Always. And that, incidentally, is the reason that solicitor-client privilege exists in Anglo-American law--because it is the only way in which the lawyer's higher duty to the court can be reconciled with the interests of the client. The law carves out a special place into which the courts are prohibited from intruding in order that the hierarchy of duties can be maintained.

Quote:
But I also think that common sense should come into it - and yes, I think Obama is as guilty as hell. You don't have to agree with it. Whether you do or not is your perrogative. But Brian Terry's family suffered great loss as a result of a man who thinks he is above the law and is now being called on it. And I'll quote the beloved Rev. Wright on this one: "The chickens are coming home to roost!" I've worked on stuff more classified than what you do. And I've investigated for the DoD for four years - so I know a bunko game when I see it. A law enforcement sting like this in no way represents any vital threat to national security - and if it does, why has it not been adequately explained? However - when someone like a sitting president has alterior motives? Like - gun control, maybe? Give me a break. This guy has to go. Just like Nixon had to go. Just like Clinton should have gone. And don't tell me that your so altruistic as to not know that every lawyer is taught how to use the process to "obstruct - obstruct - obstruct" when they need to buy time - which is exactly what Obama is doing. This joker has something to hide - and it's time we found out what it is.

I'll end this post with a parting thought from Proverbs: A man's sins will be shouted from the rooftops."

Longshanks

I don't think that you are wrong here--you have reasonable grounds to believe all of the things that you have said here. My only objection comes when we elevate inference (which can give rise to a reasonable grounds for belief) to the level of evidence (which can support a conclusion on the balance of probabilities).

We know that he has claimed privilege, and we can properly infer that he is hiding something behind that privilege. But we cannot conclude that this is the case. So long as we hold that distinction clear, I will not presume to question your inferences or the beliefs that you have as a result.

But, in my zealousness, I forgot to mention that there is one point that guides me from a prosecutor standpoint that many plain, everyday "lawyers" miss: Any good prosecutor, like any good investigator, only wants the truth. In my days with DoD, I managed to bring in some wicked convictions - never lost a case. But there are also people out there who will testify before God Himself that I worked equally as hard to exhonorate them. I never consider a conviction as a victory. I consider the finding of the truth, and doing so by honest means, a victory. And that trait is also what mad me good at intel with the military.

And as far as my Cousin Barry is concerned, along with Holder their examples in that area are, in my view, substantially lacking and limited in depth.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 3:42 pm

Longshanks wrote:
But, in my zealousness, I forgot to mention that there is one point that guides me from a prosecutor standpoint that many plain, everyday "lawyers" miss: Any good prosecutor, like any good investigator, only wants the truth. In my days with DoD, I managed to bring in some wicked convictions - never lost a case. But there are also people out there who will testify before God Himself that I worked equally as hard to exhonorate them. I never consider a conviction as a victory. I consider the finding of the truth, and doing so by honest means, a victory. And that trait is also what mad me good at intel with the military.

Statements in which I can wholeheartedly concur.

Quote:
And as far as my Cousin Barry is concerned, along with Holder their examples in that area are, in my view, substantially lacking and limited in depth.

Longshanks

A view with which I will not disagree.

We are, at long last, ad idem! 8)

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

snapcap wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
Reagan = 3
Bush I = 1
Clinton = 14
Bush II = 6

Repubs = 10 Dems = 19

Longshanks

There were 2 other requests by Congress concerning a couple of Obama's "Czars" that were refused, but were mooted because the "Czars" in question resigned. I still count those - just like I count John Adams' refusal which was also mooted because Adams eventually changed his mind and revealed the documents in a timely fashion. Due to my wife doing research for our daughter's upcoming wedding, my access to the computer has been limited. However, when I can get on it my research continues. I'm currently in the middle of the Cleveland Administration.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?