Autistic man survives 3 week ordeal in Utah desert

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

My god the comments on the CNN article are just disgusting.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 5:32 am

Some of those comments show a lot of ignorance, such as people saying "if he can use a phone he can get a job".

What made them think that from the article? Because he called his father? I can call my mother but that doesn't mean I don't have a lot of problems calling people I don't know and avoid it as much as possible.

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2012, 7:21 am

LennytheWicked wrote:
Fogman wrote:
Since it appears that he is experienced with mountain survival, it appears that he knew one thing that is true for all survival when you are lost, --namely that if you follow a watercourse, you will eventually come across human habitation. This is especially true in the desert.

I know. I was really bothered by the fact that they didn't give the guy credit for doing as well as he did. Utah's quite a barren state and they seem to be giving the credit to the policeman who found him rather than W. LaFever for actually surviving as long as he did in an unfamiliar [and very inhospitable] environment.

Maybe you should focus more on criticizing the guy for marching into a desert without food or water.

Quote:
I find the hateful and ignorant comments on that blog depressing and it reminds me why I stay at home and barely ever socialize.

Being on the internet is socialization. And you'll hear a lot more things that you don't like on the internet than in real life.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2012, 6:23 pm

BreezeGod wrote:
Maybe you should focus more on criticizing the guy for marching into a desert without food or water.

We could also yell at the father for not saying, "Wait wait wait...you got robbed?" and planning where to go from there.

We could also yell at the sister for waiting a month to call for help.

Also, the article seems to have been revised. It doesn't really bother me anymore. [The sentence about autistic people being drawn to water...um...what?]

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
BreezeGod wrote:

We could also yell at the father for not saying, "Wait wait wait...you got robbed?" and planning where to go from there.

Sure, as long as you're not praising people for making horrible decisions.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

BreezeGod wrote:
LennytheWicked wrote:
BreezeGod wrote:

Sure, as long as you're not praising people for making horrible decisions.

I wouldn't advise anyone go out like that, but most people would have been dead within a week. That he survived a month like that is astounding, especially considering he had no gear, was out of his element, and really didn't have anywhere to go [since his dad didn't jump at the opportunity to help. I find that worrisome].

But saying, "Thank you cop for finding this guy" is a little awkward when his reasoning is that autistic people are drawn to water [what?] rather than the guy saying he would hike the river.

Yes, good job cop, for checking where the guy said he was going. :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2012, 11:30 pm

It's amazing that he was able to survive, and I think that he would also be another great person for me to look up to. :)