Does anyone learn anything from news, besides itself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

So... in other words, do we get up-to-date with the news just because we're curious of the current affairs, or do we learn something from it as we could learn in a lecture?

(I'm thinking, for example, with regards to economics due to the downturn.)

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

It depends on the way you look at the news.

Some people pay attention to the news over time to pick out patterns and shifts in society. They can make fairly decent predictions about future actions based on what has already happened. Of course, when news is censored or not covered it can hamper this prediction-making.

Most of the time, for myself, news is a jumping-off point for learning about new things. I read an article and go Google about the subject to find out more.

Duncan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

The news can be a starting point for learning, for example the news may give you an overview of the latest scientific discoveries. However you may want to learn more else whether it be the internet, school, or tv documentaries etc. Quite often broadcasters will promote a documentary on the related news piece.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 5:25 am

Frequently, on the local news, I learn that there are numerous persons who need their driving licenses taken away.
Permanently.
If they actually have one.

Sylkat

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 9:15 am

Sylkat wrote:
Frequently, on the local news, I learn that there are numerous persons who need their driving licenses taken away.
Permanently.
If they actually have one.

Sylkat

I can learn this by driving or walking down the street too.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 9:51 am

The news frequently teaches me that I am correct to be deeply pessimistic and cynical about humanity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:10 pm

Absolutely. Legitimate news sources (which doesn't include Fox) keep me informed about politics and current events that without which I'd be left in ignorance. I like to think this makes me a more responsible voter and overall citizen. Otherwise, I might be left thinking that Saddam Hussein had attacked the World Trade Center on 9/11, and that President Obama is a foreign born Muslim who wants to kill old people.
Nah, I'd never believe anything that stupid.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:27 pm

I've learned to be disgusted by what counts as "news" these days.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)