Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Appleisbetter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2012, 1:39 am

Hi all, I heard on the news the other day that Facebook is claiming it has 1 billion users , this means one in seven people, I find this hard to believe considering the amount of people that are starving or in aged care or those who are very young or the illiterate or those that have no access to the Internet due to location or many other reasons. Am I the only non believer ? Is this possible or is it an attempt to sure up there falling stock prices?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 2:37 am

I refuse to use Facebook.

If I want to post something, I post it on my web page where I have full control and without all the stupid "like" buttons.

Appleisbetter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2012, 2:57 am

Me too, that's my point most of the people I know don't either. So how can they claim that one in every seven people on the planet does?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 3:28 am

There are probably lots of people with multiple accounts and if it is anything like this site nearly half the "members" are spammers anyway with fake accounts just to promote some cruddy product or have URLs linking to such products.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

Don't forget the people who "closed" their account. Facebook doesn't do deleting, and you are still regarded as a user AFAIK.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:48 am

Appleisbetter wrote:
Hi all, I heard on the news the other day that Facebook is claiming it has 1 billion users , this means one in seven people, I find this hard to believe considering the amount of people that are starving or in aged care or those who are very young or the illiterate or those that have no access to the Internet due to location or many other reasons. Am I the only non believer ? Is this possible or is it an attempt to sure up there falling stock prices?
It does not surprise me in the least that one billion separate logins and / or registrations have taken place.

Think about it. About 300,000,000 Chinese live in their big cities. About the same number of people in India. Then there is Western Europe with over 400,000,000 people to say nothing of the big cities in South and Central America.

Whether there are one billion steady users, that is a different question.

ruveyn

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/new ... edtvlfhmql