Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:38 pm

I went and voted and damn! C'thulu lost anyway.

ruveyn

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:43 pm

Wow, I know a lot of people don't like Mitt Romney, but calling him C'thulu is harsh. :lol:

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

Don't feel bad, I wrote in Godzilla on my ballot and he wasn't even mentioned in the results.

It's my 666th... the devil's post. 8O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Are you familiar with the works of H.P. Lovecraft?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Are you familiar with the works of H.P. Lovecraft?

Not all of them. But C'thulu I know. I am just plain tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. So I wrote in C'thuilu's name for President. I did not help very much.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm

But voting just has to work!

It has to, has to, has to!

Wait ... why is it getting dark in here?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 11:03 pm

Until corporations stop controlling out country then we will never have a true democracy.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 3:40 am

LaPierre
Cox
'16

(w/Alan Gura for AG and Ted Nugent for Secretary of State)

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:18 am

The dysfunction and dissatisfaction with elections in the United States stems precisely from this counterproductive attitude.

Why is voting futile? Because people who think voting is futile don't bother voting, or waste their votes, which means that decisions are made not by the people who care about the importance of their vote, but by people who are motivated to maintain the status quo ante.

If you believe that voting is futile, then you are part of the problem.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:58 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
Until corporations stop controlling out country then we will never have a true democracy.

You wouldn't want "true democracy" Under "true democracy" your rights would be gone inside of a year. Speech which offended the majority would be outlawed.

You are better off living in a Republic, rather than a Democracy.

Under Athenian "Democracy" Socrates was sentenced to death because he p*ssed a lot of his fellow Athenian off. Is that what you want, really?

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 09 Nov 2012, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 12:24 pm

visagrunt wrote:
The dysfunction and dissatisfaction with elections in the United States stems precisely from this counterproductive attitude.

Why is voting futile? Because people who think voting is futile don't bother voting, or waste their votes, which means that decisions are made not by the people who care about the importance of their vote, but by people who are motivated to maintain the status quo ante.

Yeah. Tell the heroic souls who braved the cold for five or six hours to vote on election day that voting is futile.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 3:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

You wouldn't want "true democracy" Under "true democracy" your rights would be gone inside of a year. Speech which offended the majority would be outlaws.

Under Athenian "Democracy" Socrates was sentenced to death because he p*ssed a lot of his fellow Athenian off. Is that what you want, really?

ruveyn

Rome was a republic, and look at their sick entertainment and the level of corruption they had.

I doubt many would be treated like Socrates in a true democracy. Is this pre- or post-Renaiscance?

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:47 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

You wouldn't want "true democracy" Under "true democracy" your rights would be gone inside of a year. Speech which offended the majority would be outlaws.

ruveyn

Rome was a republic, and look at their sick entertainment and the level of corruption they had.

I doubt many would be treated like Socrates in a true democracy. Is this pre- or post-Renaiscance?

Pre. Long before the Renaissance.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 4:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

ruveyn

Pre. Long before the Renaissance.

And there ya have it. It would work far better now.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 5:06 pm

visagrunt wrote:

Part of the problem yes, but not nearly all of it.

The reality is there are two all controlling party machines, and the candidates they spit out are inceasingly polarized party creatures who only represent specific segments of society, and somehow neither includes me. :roll:

I didn't really write in Godzilla btw. I think Godzilla probably would not accept the job if elected anyway.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Part of the problem yes, but not nearly all of it.

The reality is there are two all controlling party machines, and the candidates they spit out are inceasingly polarized party creatures who only represent specific segments of society, and somehow neither includes me. :roll:

I didn't really write in Godzilla btw. I think Godzilla probably would not accept the job if elected anyway.

But ask yourself, why do those machines work that way, and why do they spit out the candidates that they do? Because these are the mechanisms and candidates that succeed with those who bother voting.

So it all comes back to the electorate. If the electorate demanded better, parties would be forced to respond to that demand. But so long as more than 40% of people sit on their hands, the parties have no need to change.