My town elected a dead guy yesterday

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 7:41 am

I kid you not. <Here> is the link. I'm very aware that if somebody dies after being put on the ballot then they are stuck there. I also know that sometimes it happens by accident, that the dead guy wins.

Now I want you to think about this for a second ok? I live in a small town, surrounded by a few other widely spaced small towns, in a rural county. Folks tend to know when somebody dies. It's not like in a city where you don't know who the people are four streets over. We not only know who they are, but we know all their dirty laundry because everybody in this town talks. Everybody in all the towns talk. I could go to Six Mile and tell somebody's secret and by nightfall they would know it up in Brookwood. That is yet another reason most folks knew he was dead.

My point in that last paragraph is that at least 90% of the people who voted for him knew he was dead and voted for him anyway.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 7:59 am

as einstein said:

Quote:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

enjoy the world we live in, and don't worry who is given the ultimate power... :?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

We voted for a dead guy yesterday too for City Council. Everyone had to know he was dead because his death was well publicized in the local news. I just think that people are probably did not care for the opponent and wanted a new slate and that was how to get it. After all, would you run again if you could not beat a dead person in the polls?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 8:42 am

Maybe they saw "Weekend At Bernies" one too many times :lol:

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:08 am

In Chicago the dead vote early and often.

ruveyn

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 9:55 am

It's all part of what makes America trully great and scares the s**t out of the rest of the world. :lol:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:01 am

I bet he got the Tea Party vote.

The Tea Party likes small, hands-off government... A dead guy seems perfect for that.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 10:55 am

A lot of people just quickly look at whichever candidate is in the political-party they support when filling out their ballot especially for local/state positions. In this case a lot of them must've just very quickly looked who the republican candidate was without looking at his name closely when voting.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 11:20 am

And they will defend their god-given right to vote for dead people! ;)

Does that mean the person with the second most votes wins? or do they have to put it on the ballot again?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 11:49 am

GoonSquad wrote:
I bet he got the Tea Party vote.

The Tea Party likes small, hands-off government... A dead guy seems perfect for that.

Hear hear!! ! A vote for Thomas Jefferson is a vote for liberty (if you happen to be White).

ruveyn

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 12:19 pm

In Minnesota, it means a special election with new candidates. Not sure in Georgia. I remember in Missouri, a dead man won the seat for US House a couple of years back and his wife was allowed to serve his place. Election laws are really state level rules so one cannot say.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 2:40 pm

Something else funny about our county election,last election we voted for a new jail to be built,it was BUT we voted against any new tax revenue to actually run the jail,so the jail has set empty and useless.Criminals have to be taken to the county above us and housed.Well this year again on the ballot ,taxes to run the new jail,again it failed.So we have a brand spanking new jail that just sits there.
We almost got the medical marijuana,lost by about 5,000 votes,if only those stoners could remember what day election day is we may have passed it. :lol:

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 3:54 pm

There was a dead guy on my county's ballot a few years ago, as he was running for reelection to the sheriff's position when he died before election day. I think what might have happened if he won is that the county supervisors would have appointed someone to take that position, but the person who was alive on election day won instead.

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

Your town...

Needs a permanent thread here.

I would be a faithful reader :nerdy:

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 5:45 pm

demeus wrote:
I remember in Missouri, a dead man won the seat for US House a couple of years back and his wife was allowed to serve his place. Election laws are really state level rules so one cannot say.
That was for the Senate seat in 2000 and the governor appointed the widow to serve his place. But she only served for 2 years as that was the protocol for a governor's appointment until the next 2-year election cycle.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 6:27 pm

this reminded me of the movie I saw when I was a kid
The Distinguished Gentleman (1992)