NASA announces discovery of sand on Mars....

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 9:18 am

The suspense is over. NASA announced that probe Curiosity discovered sand on Mars...

How many billions of dollars did it cost to discover that.

ruveyn

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:25 am

Where are you getting your information?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Where are you getting your information?

Manchester Guardian news site.

ruveyn

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

Yeah, but....

but...

it's...

MARTIAN sand!! !! ! :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 2:37 pm

It is quite amazing how the wind has managed to sculpt the Martian sand though:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

Hey that's the insane asylum I (MrXxx) run there! ^^^^

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The suspense is over. NASA announced that probe Curiosity discovered sand on Mars...

ruveyn

Keep in mind that it was approved by our most brilliant minds in congress...which couldn't even keep a budget in the Command & Conquer game series.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 9:02 am

John_Browning wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Keep in mind that it was approved by our most brilliant minds in congress...which couldn't even keep a budget in the Command & Conquer game series.

Those dodos could not even manage a game of Monopoly (tm).

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:13 am

ruveyn wrote:
ruveyn

that is amazing! there is also sand on earth, so we truly are sister planets after all.

the thing is however.... how do they know it was on mars that they discovered sand?
how do they know that the curiosity rover landed on mars and not some other planet?

i questioned the existence of mars once, and i was asked to look into a telescope that had "mars" in it's field of view, and the owner of the telescope asked me if i could see the heavenly body that they had focused their telescope on, and indeed i could, and they then exclaimed that i had seen proof of mars's existence, but i was not convinced.

how did he know that the dot i was looking at was mars?
he said that it was in the location that mars was expected to be, and i again asked how he knew that that object was "mars" since the planet i was looking at did not have the letters "mars" written on it, so how could anyone know what planet it was.

the person who i had this conversation with became convinced that i was not worth the effort to talk to further, and i avoided a negative situation where i had to tell them i had lost interest in what they were saying so i think it turned out well.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2012, 10:49 am

I don't think people are fully understanding the significance of this. If there is sand on Mars, that is clear evidence that there were previously....

Rocks on mars!! ! :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:57 am

there are still rocks on mars so your joke does not work with me.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

IDontGetIt wrote:
I don't think people are fully understanding the significance of this. If there is sand on Mars, that is clear evidence that there were previously....

Rocks on mars!! ! :lol:

Well I thought it was funny anyway! :lol:

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

What the hell is this a joke or for real.

Nasa isnt to be made fun of, they hire plenty of us types, and the work they do is super important.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

Stoek wrote:

Nasa isnt to be made fun of, they hire plenty of us types, and the work they do is super important.

This all follows on from a statement made by a senior NASA scientist a couple of weeks ago saying that an "Earthshaking discovery" had been made on Mars and that it would be "one for the history books". Everyone has been waiting with baited breath expecting something along the lines that microbial life had been discovered or evidence that it had once existed. This statement turned out to be nothing but hype and a huge disappointment.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Stoek wrote:

This all follows on from a statement made by a senior NASA scientist a couple of weeks ago saying that an "Earthshaking discovery" had been made on Mars and that it would be "one for the history books". Everyone has been waiting with baited breath expecting something along the lines that microbial life had been discovered or evidence that it had once existed. This statement turned out to be nothing but hype and a huge disappointment.
Considering their is a well documented knowledge of sand storms on mars Id like to know what op actually meant.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:28 pm

Stoek wrote:

NASA is but a bloated shadow of its former glorious self. The U.S. no longer has the edge in space exploration, particularly manned exploration.

ruveyn