Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

This probably belongs somewhere else... but since Mardi Gras is CURRENT... I guess it's here

I know many of us have issues with large gatherings... That's why I don't go to the parades and the like...

A couple months ago, my family (significant other, sister-also with asperger's, brother in law/best friend, and I) moved to uptown in new orleans. At the time, we didn't realize how close we were to the parade route...

In the last day, there have been people who have parked in our drive way, blocking us in... A rude child yelling "look at that ugly man!" and his family laughing at him. A man threatening me because I told him not to park there. Someone pissed on our stoop. An RV parked across the street that is dumping their wash water into the street. People climbing fences and taking other people's decorations.

I am trapped in my home and my neighborhood feels like Kabul, but with music.

bethmc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

Dude, I feel ya.

When I first moved to NOLA, I lived on St. Andrew's St. between St. Charles and Magazine.
Then I moved into the French Quarter. Holy s**t.

Never again. Never again.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 3:50 am

Yeah... I live three blocks from st charles and napoleon... this has been bad

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:47 am

I'm glad we don't have Mardi Gras celebrations where I live. Maybe because it's too cold for idiot women to expose themselves so they can get cheap, junky beads. :) Seriously, I've seen it on TV down in The States and I'm utterly disgusted. Human behavior at it's worst. It seems like every public celebration is only about getting sickeningly drunk or stoned and being as much of an idiot as possible. The sight of the crowds alone make my skin crawl. It's a known fact that no matter how social animals are if they are overcrowded they instinctively turn on each other because there is less food or space. Humans are no different that's why there's more crime and violent behavior in major cities. I can hardly believe I'm the "loser" because of how I feel about this. Go figure. :(

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 10:26 am

In the UK we just have pancake day.

Nobody complains of pancake day.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

Am a bit shocked that planners for theses events don't consider the people living in the neighborhoods. 8O

I live in the city center (downtown for you alot across the Pond) of Liverpool.
In my neighborhood alone theres three public events a year: two street carnivals (Brazilica & Brouhaha) and an urban village fete (Hope Street Feast). The planners of thoses events do think about the locals in the neighborhoods. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

Years ago, back when my future wife and I were living in downtown Spokane near the courthouse, one Sunday morning I lucked out and learned that we would have been trapped indoors by the annual Bloomsday Race, held every first weekend of May. Literally thousands of people take part in running a marathon through the heart of the city, with cheering citizens all along the course - for hours! I had enough sense to move my car to avoid being trapped, then the both of us quickly got ready, then got the hell out of there for the day. That had been years before I had been diagnosed with Asperger's, but I was well aware of the fact that I would probably go insane if I were trapped there.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:36 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm glad we don't have Mardi Gras celebrations where I live. Maybe because it's too cold for idiot women to expose themselves so they can get cheap, junky beads. :) Seriously, I've seen it on TV down in The States and I'm utterly disgusted. Human behavior at it's worst. It seems like every public celebration is only about getting sickeningly drunk or stoned and being as much of an idiot as possible. The sight of the crowds alone make my skin crawl. It's a known fact that no matter how social animals are if they are overcrowded they instinctively turn on each other because there is less food or space. Humans are no different that's why there's more crime and violent behavior in major cities. I can hardly believe I'm the "loser" because of how I feel about this. Go figure. :(

While I don't enjoy the festivities... I am tempted to be offended by your commentary on the cultural heritage... and worse, the fact that you assume that carnival is JUST an american holiday...