Pasta firm Barilla boycotted over 'classic family' remarks

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

Of course people have the right to disagree with same-sex marriage.

And consumers have the right to reach for a different brand on the shelf. And people who support same sex marriage have the right to attempt to persuade consumers to do precisely that.

The opponents of same-sex marriage in the United States are vocal--but they are a steadily diminishing minority.

The war is over--but like Teruo Nakamura, the holdouts will continue to fight a losing battle.

lunarastro
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 1:50 pm

I personally wont be buying Barilla any longer. There are so many other pastas available, I dont see the point in making money for someone who publically against gay marriage. He said it himself- if the people dont like his advertsiing, they are free to buy a different brand of pasta. So be it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:13 pm

^But what about the workers - the ones who actually make the product? Are they all homophobic? Are you sure? If they all share the CEO's homophobia, then a boycott is justified. But if even one ordinary production worker - who may be LGBT - then innocent people are being punished for one person's bigotry.

That's like denying recess to an entire class of students because one of them flipped off the teacher.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lunarastro
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 2:51 pm

The CEO is the mouthpiece for the company. If the company dosent support LGBT rights then I feel I have no choice but to boycott their products. I know the workers dont have a choice in the matter, but I cant not in good faith give my hard earned money to a company that thinks LGBT families are less than/inferior to other families. Plus, since Barilla is one of the most profitable pasta companies in the world, I doubt a few thousand people boycotting their products is really going to affect the workers. DO I feel bad for the Boy Scout who is trying to sell popcorn that I have to refuse to buy because of their policies? Yes- I feel bad for saying no to a little boys who has nothing to do with it, but I still wont give my money to the boy scouts, or Salvation Army or Chick Fil-a or any other comapny I know is against the LGBT community.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
^But what about the workers - the ones who actually make the product? Are they all homophobic? Are you sure? If they all share the CEO's homophobia, then a boycott is justified. But if even one ordinary production worker - who may be LGBT - then innocent people are being punished for one person's bigotry.

That's like denying recess to an entire class of students because one of them flipped off the teacher.

Fnord, I've never known leftists to be concerned with harming innocents when it comes to advancing the catechism of the Deformed Church of Political Correctness. As Comrade Lenin said, to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs. And the communists--kissing cousins to our liberals--broke about a hundred million of them. Decency and the left are irreconcilable.

Last edited by Thelibrarian on 30 Sep 2013, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

It would seem that some people want everyone working at Barilla to suffer economic hardship just because the CEO is a jerk.

Would it be fair to boycott all LGBT-made products just because Jeffrey Dahmer was serial killer who raped, murdered and dismembered 17 men and boys from 1978 to 1991?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 3:06 pm

I'm calling "First World Problem" on this one...

Another Paula Deen... a fresh victim of the increasingly low threshold for "newsworthiness".

lunarastro
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 3:24 pm

Again- I dont think the workers will suffer any economic hardships because I dont think the boycott will make much of a dent in Barrillas profits. As far as boycotting LGBT made product and the Jeffry Dahmer thing- hey if that is how you as a person feel you want to spend (or not spend) your money- I dont really care. You have every right to spend your money with whatever companies you like for whatever reason you like. I may not agree with your decision, but I cant stop you from doing it. The only power as a consumer that I have is where I spent my money. I choose not to spend it on Barilla products. Plain and simple. Oh, and thelibrarian wrote[/u]: Decency and the left are irreconcilable. I find this to be and abrasive and ugly statement. So I am not a decent person because I would rather not spend my money with a company whose policies I dont agree with? Really? So my volunteer work with the local elementary school, the local animal shelter and the Girls Scouts dosent count for anything? My regular contributions to various charities , my work with the local food pantry and visit to the nursing home with my dog dosent make me a decent person? My love and commitment to my wife and daughter to make sure that are well cared for and happy is overlooked because I'm "leftist"? Wow! You have some tough standards to live up to.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

lunarastro wrote:
Again- I dont think the workers will suffer any economic hardships because I dont think the boycott will make much of a dent in Barrillas profits. As far as boycotting LGBT made product and the Jeffry Dahmer thing- hey if that is how you as a person feel you want to spend (or not spend) your money- I dont really care. You have every right to spend your money with whatever companies you like for whatever reason you like. I may not agree with your decision, but I cant stop you from doing it. The only power as a consumer that I have is where I spent my money. I choose not to spend it on Barilla products. Plain and simple. Oh, and thelibrarian wrote[/u]: Decency and the left are irreconcilable. I find this to be and abrasive and ugly statement. So I am not a decent person because I would rather not spend my money with a company whose policies I dont agree with? Really? So my volunteer work with the local elementary school, the local animal shelter and the Girls Scouts dosent count for anything? My regular contributions to various charities , my work with the local food pantry and visit to the nursing home with my dog dosent make me a decent person? My love and commitment to my wife and daughter to make sure that are well cared for and happy is overlooked because I'm "leftist"? Wow! You have some tough standards to live up to.

If this boycott works, by definition it will cost innocent workers their livelihoods. So, if it doesn't work, why would you want to do it? If my statement is "ugly and abrasive", it's because the truth frequently is.

As far as the other activities you mention, I say good for you. I should also say that these activities were not why I made my "ugly and abrasive" statement.

Again, counting fascism, the left slaughtered 120 MILLION people in just the 20C. Being a leftist is nothing to be proud of.

lunarastro
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 3:46 pm

Thelibrarian: my problem is that you paint with such a broad brush. I had nothing to do with slaughtering anyone. Not all people who lean left are bad. I'm not saying I'm proud or not to be left of center, I am just saying I think i am a good person, I do good deeds and help others. I dont think boycotting a company that I never really bought much from in the past, makes me indecent on any level.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

lunarastro wrote:
Thelibrarian: my problem is that you paint with such a broad brush. I had nothing to do with slaughtering anyone. Not all people who lean left are bad. I'm not saying I'm proud or not to be left of center, I am just saying I think i am a good person, I do good deeds and help others. I dont think boycotting a company that I never really bought much from in the past, makes me indecent on any level.

Considering fewer than 3,500 blacks were lynched between Reconstruction and the cultural revolution of the 1960's, most Klansmen never lynched a black. Is it "painting with a broad brush" do denounce the Klan even though most Klansmen never harmed a black personally? Accordingly, were most Klansmen good people? If so, I've hever heard a liberal say as much. We are judged by our beliefs and the company we keep, and rightly so.

lunarastro
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

So if i keep company with 99% right leaning people would you judge me differently? You should be judged by your actions- not your beliefs or accuaintances. Many times they differ greatly.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

lunarastro wrote:
So if i keep company with 99% right leaning people would you judge me differently? You should be judged by your actions- not your beliefs or accuaintances. Many times they differ greatly.

It sounds as if we disagree. For starters, being a conservative hardly makes one a good person. It is also the case that we are judged by our actions AND our beliefs and companions.

One of liberalism's most toxic characteristics is placing the individual and his or her desires and aversions above all else, when the reality is we are only able to exist within the context of our culture and society. Thus, the aspies' existential dilemma: We can't live without people, but we can't deal with them either. In other words, we can't be good people until we learn to respect and value our society since we can't live without it. This is why Socrates chose to die instead of fleeing his unjust sentence.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2013, 5:08 pm

If he doesn't support it, then he shouldn't be forced to have homosexuality portrayed in his commercials. That said, I don't have a problem with people boycotting them either. I doubt though that enough people care enough to go farther than saying "wow what an idiot. Totally not buying anything from that company again" so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
If he doesn't support it, then he shouldn't be forced to have homosexuality portrayed in his commercials. That said, I don't have a problem with people boycotting them either. I doubt though that enough people care enough to go farther than saying "wow what an idiot. Totally not buying anything from that company again" so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Do you think anybody who openly opposes the homosexual agenda should be jailed then? Sent to "re-education" camps?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 8:05 pm

I don't care if some one is gay,why should anyone care?Like 100% of his employees are straight.