Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:05 am

Why do the Austin aficionados stand out in the burning sun for four hours to eat barbecued meat? Eva Wiseman joins the queue to find out

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/ ... p-in-texas

I'm not being funny or nothing, but it doesn't really appeal to me.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:32 am

The only thing in this article that sticks out to me is this ( and it has nothing to do with meat)

"Austinites pride themselves on their individuality, their alternative oasis in a desert of conservatism"

As soon as you get a group of "individuals" gathering together they have instantaneously lost their individuality.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

Uhm, while you're all having a go at a place you've likely never even been to....Austin happened to be my home for twenty years. I loved it there, I miss it every day, and life is very, very good there. The people are great. Thanks for bashing them when you don't even know them. Some of the best people in the world and dearest friends I made are my Austin friends. It's a good place and good people are there. Shame on you.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 9:52 am

I am not bashing anyone I am simply stating a reality. I cannot say I am the only green eyed person in the world when I am only one of hundreds of million. And people who associate themselves as a community of individuals.. well, that is not bashing anyone. I think it is actually an oxymoron to use those terms together.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

Texans are used to the heat,and pretty serious about BBQ.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:46 am

Ah! American food, happy memories. Steak for breakfast and sandwiches that could feed a family. I never visited the place in the article but I passed through Texas once and have fond memories of the roadside diners and their ample menus.