Iran seizes British sailors, may put them on trial

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 6:41 pm

Several days ago Iran seized 15 British sailors in what they claim was Iranian waters (something the British dispute).

From the BBC

Quote:
Iran's detention of 15 Royal Navy personnel is "unjustified and wrong", Prime Minister Tony Blair has said.

UK officials are waiting to be granted access to the HMS Cornwall staff, who were seized on Friday, and have not been told where the group are held.

Hardline students close to Iran's president have called for the sailors to be put on trial [for espionage-Jim]

(source)

Such a trial, if held, would violate the Geneva convention, of which the Islamic Republic claims to be a signatory. Article 46, section 2:

Quote:
2. A member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict who, on behalf of that Party and in territory controlled by an adverse Party, gathers or attempts to gather information shall not be considered as engaging in espionage if, while so acting, he is in the uniform of his armed forces.

The maximum penalty for espionage in Iran is death. It is possible that this entire action is an attempt to gain some sort of leverage with the British, or even potentially it's (for now) American ally.

I noticed this quote on the BBC's website for this story from , Gary, "The country of Iran needs to have a good long hard look at how this situation will look to the rest of the world."

Unfortunately, since the Ayatollah Khomenei seized power, it has been demonstrated on numerous occasions that the Iranian theocratic leadership do not lie with world opinion nor with the concerns of their own people.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 6:46 pm

It also says "They were paraded blindfolded on television and later freed."

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 6:52 pm

Yes, there was an incident in 2004:

Quote:
The seizure of the boarding party carries echoes of an incident in June 2004 when a group of eight marines and sailors were held for three days after being seized by the Iranians in the Shatt al-Arab waterway.

They were paraded blindfolded on television and later freed.

I just hope it ends that "innocently."

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 1:20 am

Great.....

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

26 Mar 2007, 10:09 am

I wonder why the British troops did not defend themselves rather than surrendering to the Iranians?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 10:52 am

The British Navy boarding American ships in American waters, and in International waters, was the cause behind the War of 1812. They backed out of that one before they were slaughtered at the Battle of New Orleans. Back then they were an Empire, not a failed welfare state. They are not getting any smarter.

An Iranian ship, flying an Iranian flag, in Iranian waters, an armed force boards it, that is an act of war.

During the War of 1812 all British ships, war or merchant, were declared fair targets by America.

Britannia has not ruled the seas for a long time. The Iranian coast is defended by Chinese Silkworm missiles
In the Straits of Homez the British Navy would be sitting ducks. Send in the fleet, never see it again. Iran sells oil to China. Close the Straits, the world economy collapses. No economy, no taxes, no governments.

Now I am for it, nothing left to tax but Capital. Rome went through that just before they fell, so did England. A Social Welfare State based on education, food, shelter, health care, with economic freedom could work. Norway, Sweden, are good models. Americans pay a higher percentage of income, but do not get any services, such as health care, a quality education, being sure of a roof over their head, that their children will eat. That they will not spend their golden years eating dog food.

England an Atomic Power? At the first launch of an atomic weapon in the next war, everybody will launch, use it or lose it. It really does not matter after the first hundred.

America and England are broke, only religious nuts want war, the armies are exhausted, Afganistan is being lost, Iraq does not look good, so adding Iran and Syria will improve things?

Which oil company do they work for?

The Geneva Convention refers to a Party to the Conflict, where A State of War has been declared.

Espionage, or Piracy, would be a closer description of the action.

In a secret directive Bush has abolished International Law, The Law of the Sea, the Geneva Convention, and History, which he never read. Unless Halliburton has a secret plan, he will be out of office in less than two years, but we will still be here, if we are lucky.

Liberty is setting an example for the world to follow.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 12:38 pm

A sort of correction is in order.

Iran has not ratified (indeed neither has the United States) the part of the Geneva Convention that Article 46, section 2 is in. This specifically, is protocol one. The reasons given by then President Ronald Reagan why the U.S. did not ratify the agreement are here.

Iran is however bound by all the articles and Geneva I, II, III and IV.

From Geneva Part I

Quote:
Part I. General Provisions
Art. 1. The High Contracting Parties undertake to respect and to ensure respect for the present Convention in all circumstances.

Art. 2. In addition to the provisions which shall be implemented in peace time, the present Convention shall apply to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them.

The Convention shall also apply to all cases of partial or total occupation of the territory of a High Contracting Party, even if the said occupation meets with no armed resistance.

Although one of the Powers in conflict may not be a party to the present Convention, the Powers who are parties thereto shall remain bound by it in their mutual relations. They shall furthermore be bound by the Convention in relation to the said Power, if the latter accepts and applies the provisions thereof.

Here is a link to the full Geneva texts

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2007, 12:45 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
I wonder why the British troops did not defend themselves rather than surrendering to the Iranians?

There could be a number of good reasons. One is that they probably have instructions not to get involved in any armed conflict with Iran. What would it have achieved if they had? If they were outnumbered and outgunned some would still have been captured, but others would be dead. Also, it would have created a much larger political problem.

Anyway I'm sure pay-back time will come. I think Iran's going to get a very bloody nose sooner or later...

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 11:17 am

In regards to this

Quote:
A senior American commander in the Gulf has said his men would have fired on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard rather than let themselves be taken hostage.

In a dramatic illustration of the different postures adopted by British and US forces working together in Iraq, Lt-Cdr Erik Horner - who has been working alongside the task force to which the 15 captured Britons belonged - said he was "surprised" the British marines and sailors had not been more aggressive.

Asked by The Independent whether the men under his command would have fired on the Iranians, he said: "Agreed. Yes. I don't want to second-guess the British after the fact but our rules of engagement allow a little more latitude. Our boarding team's training is a little bit more towards self-preservation."

The executive officer - second-in-command on USS Underwood, the frigate working in the British-controlled task force with HMS Cornwall - said: " The unique US Navy rules of engagement say we not only have a right to self-defence but also an obligation to self-defence. They [the British] had every right in my mind and every justification to defend themselves rather than allow themselves to be taken. Our reaction was, 'Why didn't your guys defend themselves?'"

(source]

I kinda wish this American officer had kept his mouth shut, and I bet his senior officers aren't too pleased with what he said. Nevertheless, it is interesting to learn the differences of the rules of engagements between U.S. and U.K. forces in regards to Iran. To be fair to the British sailors however, I can understand why Britain would be more reluctant to engage Iran in such a situation as if the UK were suddenly forced into a full scale shooting war with Iran (which had certainly not been something the U.K. had been actively desiring to get into) they would have been in a more disadvantageous position then the The United States due to their smaller military.

Technically what the Iranians did, and I have little reason to believe the UK is lying in regard to the position of their boat, was an act of war. There was a report the other day of the Iranians softening their position. It looks like Blair might be toughening up his talk, although I'm not sure what that means. There is certainly already a lot of firepower off the Iranian coast.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 11:23 am

From the Wall Street Journal Editorial Page:

Quote:
Earlier this month, the Sunday Times of London reported that the Revolutionary Guards newspaper Subhi Sadek suggested seizing "a nice bunch of blue-eyed blond-haired officers and feed them to our fighting cocks." One possible motive: The apparent defection by Revolutionary Guards commander Ali Reza Asgari, who disappeared in Istanbul last month and is said to know a great deal about Iran's nuclear program. The Iranians may now be using their hostages as payback for General Asgari's defection--or as ransom for his return.

Given the Iranian regime's past success with hostage-taking--whether with U.S. diplomats in Tehran in 1979 or Westerners in Beirut in the 1980s--they may also figure that Prime Minister Tony Blair is willing to pay a steep price to secure release of the sailors before he leaves office later this year. Or perhaps the Iranians want to bargain with Mr. Blair's successor, presumably Chancellor Gordon Brown, whom they might suspect would take a softer line at the U.N. They may also be trying to create a rift between the U.S. and U.K. by offering to trade the British troops for Iranians the U.S. has recently detained inside Iraq.

It's also possible, as Walid Phares of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies points out, that the Iranian leadership may be seeking to draw Britain (and the U.S.) into limited military skirmishes that they think could shore up domestic support against widening popular discontent.

Another possibility: sufficiently bloodying Coalition forces in Iraq to hasten their withdrawal. The mullahs might even hope any fighting would embolden Democrats to do Tehran's bidding by passing legislation that forbids the Administration from attacking Iran without prior Congressional permission. Such a plank was contained in the supplemental war spending bill that passed the House last week until cooler heads removed it.

As with the 1979 hostage crisis, how Britain and the rest of the civilized world respond in the early days of the crisis will determine how long it lasts. Britain has already demanded the safe and immediate return of its personnel; they will have to make clear that its foreign policy will not be held hostage to the mullahs...

Most important, the world should keep in mind that Iran has undertaken this latest military aggression while it is still a conventional military power. That means that Britain and the U.S. can still respond today with the confidence that they maintain military superiority. That confidence will vanish the minute Iran achieves its goal of becoming a nuclear power. Who knows what the revolutionaries in Tehran will then be capable of.

(source)

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 12:20 pm

Apparently the Iranians have been trying to set traps inside Iraq to get U.S. prisoners. The U.S. used to have the same rules of engagement as the Brits. Coalition forces have taken hundreds of Iranian and Iranian intelligence forces as prisoners as they have tried to trap Coalition forces into becoming hostages.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 12:59 pm

Well, we'll give them a taste of Brit Power, we will ! !!

And you thought the Yanks would fire the first shot at Iran ! !!

C'mon, lads ! !! Over the top ! !!

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:03 pm

I think King George wants to be the one to fire the first shot....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17810017/

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 5:19 pm

The carriers deployment is in connection with the Iranian nuclear standoff. You will note there is a French carrier, the Charles de Gaulle, is in the Gulf as well. I would not advocate launching any preliminary strike in regards to this, although if Britain were to invoke article 5 of the NATO alliance it would be our responsibility to join our allies. It would be counterproductive to start something without British involvement (it would be like the U.S. invading the Falklands during that crisis) and I do not see that happening.

For the record, Iranian actions against the U.S. forces in Iraq could be used as a casus belli as well but I don't expect anything in that regards since no Americans have been taken.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 6:19 pm

Saddam tried for eight years, he lost millions and never got past the border.

Jimmy Carter crashed and burned, Reagan paid, Iran/Contra, Bush the First was smart enough to stay out of Iraq. Now they no longer report the deaths.

Now that the world has seen Abu Greb, Gitmo, the peace brought to Iraq, they will defend their land, homes, families.

You could terror bomb their cities, kill their women and children. You are The Queen's freelance worldwide bullies. We have a right to make the world obey us because we say so. Or we will beat up your grandmother.

We will kill them all and take the land. Everyone remembers what happened to Native Americans, they are waiting for you. You have no friends. They have many.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 6:59 pm

Inventor wrote:
Saddam tried for eight years, he lost millions and never got past the border.

Jimmy Carter crashed and burned, Reagan paid, Iran/Contra, Bush the First was smart enough to stay out of Iraq. Now they no longer report the deaths.

Now that the world has seen Abu Greb, Gitmo, the peace brought to Iraq, they will defend their land, homes, families.

You could terror bomb their cities, kill their women and children. You are The Queen's freelance worldwide bullies. We have a right to make the world obey us because we say so. Or we will beat up your grandmother.

We will kill them all and take the land. Everyone remembers what happened to Native Americans, they are waiting for you. You have no friends. They have many.

1. Saddam did get past the border, just not very far. He lost approximately one million men in the war. It should be noted that the Ayatollah Khomenei in the later courses of the war was as stubborn as Saddam in the early courses, refusing to sign as status quo treaty that would have ended the conflict when it was clear he could not topple Saddam Hussein. He lost one million soldiers, including child "martyrs" send to detonate land mines ahead of his main army.

2. Jimmy Carter was defeated in the 1980 partially because he inept weakness in handling the Iranian crisis. The seizure of 444 hostages constituted an act of war on the United States and the failure of the administration to respond as such has been sadly repeated again and again. Yes, Ronald Reagan paid for hostages, and that action was the single worst act of his presidency. George H. W. Bush's decision to "stay out" of Iraq, his decision to do nothing, to provide zero air cover to Iraqi groups rebellion against Saddam Hussein was a terrible miscalculation to say the least. It led the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocents and left Saddam to remain in power for more then a decade more.

3. You say that now that "the world" has seen "Gitmo" and "Abu Greb," that it will defend their land, their homes, and their family. Pray what is "the world?" Is "the world" the rulers of Iran, a theocracy with little more then a paper democracy, who is refusing to comply with demands to suspend enrichment of uranium? Is "the world" the "insurgency" in Iraq, that is more then willing to use children as either bombs or the targets of them? Is this "the world?"

Oh the horrors of "Gitmo," a military stockade that violates no international agreements by the United States, and a prison that is so horrible that compared to the prisons on the very Island (Castro's Cuba) it is maintained, it is practicably a luxury spot. Yes, and I do condemn what happen at Abu Graib, and I am sure you think it worth the constant attention it got in the mainstream press. Sure, religious prisoners have had their their heads crushed by steamrollers in North Korea and non-isolated acts of torture are occuring throughout the world (as well as slavery) at this very moment. But no, let's focus on this more isolated (and terrible) event.

4. Actually, neither the United Kingdom nor The United States target women and children. In fact, medals have been awarded to service members who have sacrificed their lives protected them. But who cares, let's lie about that, right?

We also haven't "taken" any land. The Iraqis have their own country and their own resources that belong to them. The United States, and UK has not seized Iraqi resources.

5. Why do many war oppenents talk as if the everyone in Iraq that opposes the war is one united group or even everyone on the planet opposes some "American war machine." This is not the case.

Quote:
Insurgent leaders and Sunni Arab politicians say divisions between insurgent groups and Al Qaeda in Iraq have widened and have led to combat in some areas of the country, a schism that U.S. officials hope to exploit.

The Sunni Arab insurgent leaders said they disagreed with the leadership of Al Qaeda in Iraq over tactics, including attacks on civilians, as well as over command of the movement. ...

Insurgent leaders from two of the prominent groups fighting U.S. troops said the divisions between their forces and Al Qaeda were serious. They have led to skirmishes in Al Anbar province, in western Iraq, and have stopped short of combat in Diyala, east of Baghdad, they said in interviews with the Los Angeles Times.

Al Qaeda in Iraq, which has taken responsibility for many of the most brutal attacks on civilians here, is made up primarily of foreign fighters. Although it shares a name with Osama bin Laden's group, it is unclear how much the two coordinate their activities.

(source)

The U.S. is attempting to persuade insurgent groups to turn on al-Qaida

Quote:
The news came as the departing US ambassador said Americans are in ongoing talks with insurgent representatives to try to persuade them to turn against al-Qaeda.

(source)