Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 5:27 pm

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/gwen-ifill-dead-pbs-news-anchor-dies-at-61-w450341

Us Magazine wrote:
The prominent African-American journalist, who moderated two vice president debates in 2004 and 2008, as well as a primary debate between Senator Bernie Sanders and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton earlier this year, took a leave of absence last week during the election and in May due to health issues related to cancer.

"Gwen was a standard bearer for courage, fairness and integrity in an industry going through seismic change. She was a mentor to so many across the industry and her professionalism was respected across the political spectrum. She was a journalist's journalist and set an example for all around her," PBS NewsHour executive producer Sara Just said in a statement to Politico. "So many people in the audience felt that they knew and adored her. She had a tremendous combination of warmth and authority. She was stopped on the street routinely by people who just wanted to give her a hug and considered her a friend after years of seeing her on TV. We will forever miss her terribly."

Ifill, who graduated from Simmons College in Boston, worked for The Washington Post, The New York Times and NBC before she first became a moderator for PBS’ Washington Week in Review in 1999. Ifill, who also penned best-selling book The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama, was scheduled to receive the 2016 John Chancellor Award from Columbia University on Wednesday, November 16.

I'm a bit of a PBS junkie, and I really liked her, ALOT----VERY classy lady.

My deepest, heartfelt condolences to her family.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm

Gosh.

I will miss her too.

On a lighter note: her pinnacle of fame was probably during the '08 election: when she was played by Queen Latifah on SNL in a sketch lampooning the debates between Palin and Biden with Ifill as the moderator. Pretty good casting. Latifah made a pretty good Gwen Ifill.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Nov 2016, 8:02 pm

That's sad, cancer is awful awful thing.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 8:28 pm

^^ Yeah, I remember the last time I saw her, and it startled me, to see her so thin.

@naturalplastic: Yeah, I remember that----she really DID do a good job!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 11:52 pm

She was taken from us too early,we can't cure cancer soon enough.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm

Oh no! This is sad news. I really think she was great on pbs.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2016, 11:31 am

^^ Yeah, me too!!

One of the reasons why I liked her, so much, was because she was tough, but STILL a lady. I know I'm really old-fashioned about this----and, apparently, the only person, here, that feels this way----but, I've always said: "there are alot of women in this country, but not nearly as many ladies"; and, one can be BOTH (tough and a lady), IMO. I'm not looking forward to when this older generation of journalists die-out----Barbara Walters, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Andrea Mitchell, Lesley Stahl, et al. (and the gentlemen: Tom Brokaw, Charlie Rose, and Peter Jennings, Walter Cronkite, and Tim Russert, whom we've already lost)----thank GOODNESS for some of the younger ones: Savannah Guthrie, Deborah Roberts, Lester Holt, Anderson Cooper, et al.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2016, 9:08 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
^^ Yeah, me too!!

One of the reasons why I liked her, so much, was because she was tough, but STILL a lady. I know I'm really old-fashioned about this----and, apparently, the only person, here, that feels this way----but, I've always said: "there are alot of women in this country, but not nearly as many ladies"; and, one can be BOTH (tough and a lady), IMO. I'm not looking forward to when this older generation of journalists die-out----Barbara Walters, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Andrea Mitchell, Lesley Stahl, et al. (and the gentlemen: Tom Brokaw, Charlie Rose, and Peter Jennings, Walter Cronkite, and Tim Russert, whom we've already lost)----thank GOODNESS for some of the younger ones: Savannah Guthrie, Deborah Roberts, Lester Holt, Anderson Cooper, et al.

I agree! Doris Kearns Goodwin is great. I have read several of her books. I still enjoy watching Charlie Rose. I think he is one of the most intelligent interviewers ever. I also really liked Tom Snyder.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Nov 2016, 8:48 pm

She was much too young to have passed. She definitely possessed a passion to perform her duties in the media to the best of her ability. She did it well because it was her passion. She had worked for one of the networks that has always given me comfort, PBS. In the days leading up to the election, I found myself navigating to PBS news because it seemed more sensible and comforting to me than the type of coverage being offered on the major networks. The world would do well to have more like Gwen Ifill. She possessed a powerful presence while maintaining a respectful nature toward her subjects.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 1:41 am

RIP, dear lady.