Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:04 am

More than half of Black women ages 15-49 live with little to no abortion access

Quote:
9early 7 million of the country’s 11.8 million Black women of reproductive age live in states with abortion restrictions or plans to implement them, according to a new report from a pair of reproductive rights organizations.

The report illustrates the number of Black women affected by abortion restrictions across the country. It was released Wednesday by the National Partnership for Women & Families, or NPWF, land the organization In Our Own Voice.

According to the report, 57% of Black women ages 15 to 49 (which the organizations consider reproductive age) live in states with bans or threats to abortion access, which have increased in the two years since the Supreme Court overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade decision.

Jocelyn Frye, president of the NPWF, said in an interview that Black women in those states are “overwhelmingly” concerned about their physical and economic security.

The report also found that 2.7 million of the Black women of reproductive age living in such states are already “economically insecure” and that 1.4 million of them work in service jobs — which are less likely to provide resources like paid sick days, flexible scheduling and more. They include Black women with disabilities, multiracial Black women, veterans and immigrants.

“In addition to abortion bans, they’re also concerned about things like economic opportunity and cost of living, racial justice, which are directly tied to the abortion bans,” Frye said.

About 43% of Black women of childbearing age living in states with abortion restrictions or where abortion is under threat are in Texas, Florida and Georgia, three states with some of the toughest laws, according to the report.

That tracks considering Southern states make up a majority of states with abortion restrictions, and most of the nation’s Black population is concentrated in the South.

Nearly 50% of Black women ages 18 to 44 living in states that restrict abortion have spent the last two years since the Supreme Court’s decision weighing difficult options and asking tough questions, according to the report: “Will I live through childbirth if I get pregnant?” “Will I be arrested if I miscarry or need an abortion?” “Should I give up on having children altogether?”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:07 am

This is exactly what draconian laws regarding abortion and marijuana are designed to do.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:00 pm

All thanks to a bunch of MAGA/fundie cultists.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:58 pm

Huh? But I've seen so many pro-life conspiracy theories about how Planned Parenthood is part of a Marxist plot to abort black babies and minimize the black population!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 2:30 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
All thanks to a bunch of MAGA/fundie cultists.

Ever since the Civil Rights Act came into force in 1965, many right-wing politicians, mostly at the state level, tried to find loopholes to make blacks' lives a living hell.

The War on Drugs is perhaps the most well-known example. This quote is from Nixon advisor John Ehrlichman:

John Ehrlichman wrote:
“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Now proficient in ChatGPT!