Page 5 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 3:00 pm

About to be invaded?

Put them on a bus and send them back to Florida.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 7:49 pm

Niagara Falls declares state of emergency ahead of April 8 total eclipse as 1M expected

Quote:
Niagara Falls, Canada, has declared a state of emergency ahead of the April 8 total eclipse as 1 million people are expected to flood the area.

The Ontario side of the falls has started to prepare for the expected influx in visitors coming to see the total social eclipse in early April.

The famous falls have been listed by National Geographic as one of the best places to see the eclipse – a phenomena not seen in the area since 1979. The city is within the path where the moon will entirely block the sun for a few minutes.

Mayor Jim Diodati estimated the city would see the most visitors in a single day on April 8 with an estimated 1 million expected. On average, the city see 14 million visit per year.

The state of emergency, which was announced Thursday, will allow the city to execute additional planning to help prepare for traffic jams, cell phone network overloads, and a higher need for emergency services, and more.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2024, 9:23 pm

^Kinda funny.

Zomg emergency; tourists are coming for one day!

W/e just put some extra shitters all over the place so people have somewhere to piss/s**t and beyond that let them deal with traffic & general busy-ness.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 12:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I was born very near Niagara Falls, just a few miles away. That would be a very unique experience to watch a solar eclipse. At the junction of two countries (U.S. and Canada).

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 2:52 pm

Since my house is between two steep hills and covered with trees, I thought I would check to see if the eclipse is visible at my location. So I went outside and identified the suns location at that time of day (3 P.M.). IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't ask for anything better. But will the weather cooperate?

Indiana has some very interesting weather. We might even see a tornado, or hail storm or flash floods or ?????. Or it might be a clear perfect day for a very unique event.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:44 pm

jimmy m wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I was born very near Niagara Falls, just a few miles away. That would be a very unique experience to watch a solar eclipse. At the junction of two countries (U.S. and Canada).

The problem for Niagara Falls and Hamilton is that nearby Toronto will be just outside the path of totality. So a lot of Toronto area residents are going to want to take a normally quick drive to the path of totality.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 7:58 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Since my house is between two steep hills and covered with trees, I thought I would check to see if the eclipse is visible at my location. So I went outside and identified the suns location at that time of day (3 P.M.). IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't ask for anything better. But will the weather cooperate?

Indiana has some very interesting weather. We might even see a tornado, or hail storm or flash floods or ?????. Or it might be a clear perfect day for a very unique event.

A total eclipse is special no matter where you see it. But I would imagine having it occur in the place you call home, the place you are so familiar with will make it so much more special.

I am getting 90 percent not nearly the effects you will get and I am both excited and worried the weather will ruin the last chance I will get to see something like that. It can’t imagine the intensity of feelings if I was in the path of totality.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 12:04 pm

A few days ago we were in the 70s and 80s degree weather outside. As I look out the window, it is snowing mixed with rain. So predicting the weather this time of year is difficult to say the least.

One of the local weather forecasters has made the following prediction.

Hoosiers can now count the days until the total solar eclipse rolls over Indianapolis on one hand, and the weather forecast has slightly improved for April 8.

The National Weather Service in Indianapolis offers a 7-day forecast and despite severe weather yesterday and cold rain today, the weather during the eclipse could be mild.

Still five days away, the forecast is limited and may change as we progress through the week.

The local NWS meteorologists in Indy say there will be a 20% chance of showers for Monday, April 8. This is a slightly better outlook than yesterday’s forecast for Monday. Skies are predicted to be partly sunny with a high near 67 degrees.

But it is still a few days away and forecast may become clearer during the next few days. After all when I looked outside a couple minutes ago, it was a heavy snowfall.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

The weather forecasters are getting excited.

One Week Until Total Eclipse

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 12:26 pm

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 12:35 pm

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 2:07 pm

New York Inmates Suing to View the Solar Eclipse Due to Prison Lockdowns

Quote:
Six New York inmates have filed a lawsuit against the state’s corrections department after the department announced a statewide prison lockdown on April 8 that would bar them from seeing the total solar eclipse, which they allege violates their religious freedom.

The six plaintiffs—of which there is a Christian, Muslim, Santerian and atheist—have each “expressed a sincerely held religious belief that April's solar eclipse is a religious event that they must witness and reflect on to observe their faiths,” the complaint says.

DOCCS Acting Commissioner Daniel F. Martuscello III previously issued a memo saying that all 44 prisons in the state would have to remain in their housing units from 2 to 5 p.m. on April 8. Of that group, 23 facilities that fall in the path of totality were directed to be closed to visitation all day. A partial eclipse is expected to begin shortly after 2 p.m., with totality starting at 3:18 p.m. in upstate New York, according to NASA.

Plaintiff Jeremy Zielinski, an atheist, says that he requested special permission to view the eclipse. His initial request was granted but later revoked because of the lockdown order, he says in the lawsuit.

"Mr. Zielinski firmly believes that observing the solar eclipse with people of different faiths is crucial to practicing his own faith because it is a central aspect of atheism to celebrate common humanity and bring people together to encourage people to find common ground," the complaint reads.

The DOCCS says the lockdown is a “proactive approach to ensure the safety” of the prisoners and staff. “Recognizing the surge of visitors expected in the region during the eclipse, the Department is working with the New York State Eclipse Interagency Task Force to ensure DOCCS visitors and staff are not stuck in traffic or otherwise stranded,” a DOCCS spokesperson told TIME. “For this reason, visitation will be suspended at all DOCCS facilities in the path of totality on Monday, April 8, 2024 and will resume on Tuesday, April 9.”

The department will also be providing solar eclipse glasses to staff and inmates who may be able to view the eclipse from their unit.

DOCCS added that all religious requests related to the eclipse are currently under review.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 4:22 pm

I read my local newspaper article about the upcoming solar eclipse. Some of the advice given in the article is worth noting.

The town I live in is small. The same may be said of other cities in the path of the solar eclipse. The surge of people into our communities may effect some of our services because they can become overloaded. This is especially true of cell phones, internet access, access to emergency first responders, etc. The article indicates:

Have communication plans in place. With the influx of visitors possibly straining our cell phone towers and our internet connections, prepare a communication plan early with family and friends. Coordinate where you will be, if and where you will meet and plan for extra travel time.

Have cash on hand for purchases, in case internet access becomes limited or card readers are down.

Have a fully stocked first aid kit nearby, and expect potential delays in response times from emergency services.

Many of the services that we take for granted day in and day out may be overwhelmed.

Interesting. I have an old fashion telephone. It may actually be operational if the normal cell phones and landlines go offline. It may actually be one of the only phones that continue to be operational should the rest fail.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 10:33 pm

We all got post cards telling us to plan ahead and that cell phone service might go down.
Suppose to be cloudy here .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 11:32 pm

uh oh, that means it will likely be cloudy in farmington/fredericktown MO. :(

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 11:33 pm

Excuse my ignorance but when is this thing?