Islamic Schools Trick African Boys Into Begging

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:03 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351989,00.html

For those of you who chafe at Fox News articles, note that this one is actually by the Associated Press.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

Muslims wonder why they are hard to trust? This story is one of many reasons why Western people are wary of Muslims and their ways. Not hating, just wary. Believing in stereotypes can end up saving your life. It's a rotten thing to say, but it is nonetheless true.

Nobody wins here, especially not Coli. :(

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 4:34 pm

I copied that article yesterday. It broke my heart. I wanted to go there and start a true school. If I did, I would be shot in the face.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:18 pm

I read this yesterday. So sad. Did anyone else read till the end? I was surprised and saddened when I read the epilogue. Poor Coli and his two brothers.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:28 pm

Before a bunch of people post anti-Islamic nonsense, know that anyone can pretend to be a Muslim (or Christian, Buddist, or other religious person) to take advantage of people. I think the KKK claimed to be Christians but that does not mean that Christians are racist. Nor are Muslims child traffickers and child abusers. We shouldn't be wary of Muslims because of this. This is an example of why it's a bad idea to automatically trust people because they claim to be religious. Some of them may be athiests trying to take advantage of people.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:02 pm

You speak the truth, fellow traveller. We are well-met.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:06 am

slowmutant wrote:
Believing in stereotypes can end up saving your life.

Hence why I say that women are incapable of purely rational thought... it's made my dealings with them a whole lot easier when one should never expect a straight logical answer out of a woman... :P

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:31 am

zendell wrote:
Before a bunch of people post anti-Islamic nonsense, know that anyone can pretend to be a Muslim (or Christian, Buddist, or other religious person) to take advantage of people. I think the KKK claimed to be Christians but that does not mean that Christians are racist. Nor are Muslims child traffickers and child abusers. We shouldn't be wary of Muslims because of this. This is an example of why it's a bad idea to automatically trust people because they claim to be religious. Some of them may be athiests trying to take advantage of people.

No True Scotsman fallacy.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:11 am

Odin wrote:
zendell wrote:

No True Scotsman fallacy.

Incorrect.

No true Scotsman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Errors in usage
In situations where the subject's status is determined by specific behaviors, the fallacy does not apply. For example, it is perfectly justified to say, "No true vegetarian eats meat," because not eating meat is what defines a person as a vegetarian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm

That's just sad...what scum.

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2008, 12:50 pm

Wow go ahead and blame a 1500 hundred year old religion and not the people who actually did the crime...

Ooooooh Islam is bad(!) if we got rid of religion all our problems will be over(!)

Yeah like thats gonna happen...

They were probably athiests not Muslims as Muslims do not do this kind of thing. Muslims have morals, no morals and you get a corrupt society.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:06 pm

I also wonder whether this story is anything more than an anti-religious hate article.

Quote:
In the capital of Dakar alone, at least 7,600 child beggars work the streets...The children collect an average of 300 African francs a day, just 72 cents, reaping their keepers $2 million a year.

One keeper doesn't take care of 7,600 children so the $2 million a year is irrelevent. The keeper earns 72 cents/day which is $21.60/month for each child less expenses for rent, food, clothing, etc.

Quote:
He expects them to beg to pay the rent, because there are no fields here to till.

In third world countries, parents can't afford to raise children until the arbitrary age of 18 years old. Many children in these countries must work to provide for their families. It used to be like that in the US too before we became a wealthy country so we don't have any right to look down on other countries for doing the same to prevent them from starving to death.

Quote:
But their earnings far exceed his rent of $50. If the boys meet their quotas, they bring in around $650 a month in a nation where the average person earns $150.

$650/month total. Each child brings in $21.60. That means he takes care of 30 children. 72 cents/day per child = $21.60/month x 30 children = $650/month.

The teacher takes care of 30 children, gives them an education, shelter, food, etc. The parents don't pay any tuition or any fees to cover the cost of room and board because they are poor and can't afford too. Therefore, the children must work (which isn't uncommon in 3rd world countries) to pay expenses. Normally, they would work in the fields (probably farming - children of farmers still do this in the US today) but that work isn't available so they have the children beg for money.

The article implies they are overcharging since the earnings ($650) far exceed his rent ($50), suggesting he is making $600 off this deal. What about the cost of food to feed 30 children? Also, aren't teachers entitled to compensation for their services? How many of you would start a boarding school and teach 30 children, provide childcare, food, shelter, and other expenses for only $600/month minus food expenses for all 30 children? That's just $20/month per child minus food and other expenses. Charities seeking donations to help the starving kids in Africa usually want more than that to sponsor a child. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $20/month to feed each child and the religious teacher is educating them for free.

What about the "child abuse" mentioned in the article?
Quote:
It was getting dark. Coli had less than half the 72 cents he was told to bring back. He was afraid. He knew what happened to children who failed to meet their daily quotas.

They were stripped and doused in cold water.

They were probably dirty from being outside all day. "stripped and doused in cold water" = taking a shower in a third world country

Quote:
The older boys picked them up like hammocks by their ankles and wrists. Then the teacher whipped them with an electrical cord until the cord ate their skin.

This sounds bad but it's hard to know exactly what is happening. Some parents in the US whip their kids with electrical cords. Some schools still beat kids with paddles. It's been done throughout history. The situation mentioned may not be any different. If Coli was severely whipped like the article implies, would his father have sent the religious teacher two more sons?

I'm NOT saying I support what's happening. I'm just questioning what is really going on. Are these children really tortured and used as slaves to make their masters rich or is this an anti-Islamic hate article trying to misrepresent what's really happening for the purpose of attacking Islam or religion in general?

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

I think they are attacking Islam. What after 1500 years they now think Islam is bad? It was never bad.

Obviously the begger thing is quite shocking. Just because they live in state where there are Muslims doesn't mean that Islam is to blame.

The result of this crime? A non-moral, non-Islamic corrupt society.

NArt
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm

How something like this becomes an anti-Islamic issue is beyond me. These petty difference that people are so comfortable exploiting will destroy all humanity. Poverty is the true issue - not Islam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utO69ofFaNw

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:49 pm

One thing to think about is: do actions like these have approval in modern Islamic culture and are such behaviors contextually justifiable from the Qu'ran?

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 1:58 pm

I can tell you straight are they are not. Have you ever simply tried to read the Qu'ran?