jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 2:31 pm

This gives a new meaning to "sting operation". :oops:

Wasn't this or something similar on an episode of Numb3rs?

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Just as bees forage some distance away from their hives, so murderers avoid killing near their homes, says the University of London team.

That goes completely against everything I've learned and most real world examples. Serial killers usually kill in their comfort zones, which are usually somewhere around their home or a previous home.

Three years!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 3:16 pm

Gil Grissom would be utterly fascinated. :wink:

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 8:20 pm

Dexter would too, but then again he'd be trying to figure out to not give away to the bees that he's a serial killer who is also a cop

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:13 pm

How can you be a serial-killer and a cop? That would be like trying to balance your love of taxidermy with being a member of PETA.

Seriously, law enforcement would find you out sooner or later.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:58 pm

slowmutant wrote:
How can you be a serial-killer and a cop?

By being completely fictional. Dexter is a show that doesn't even try to be realistic.

Three years!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:18 am

Heather, you know these things:

Is it possible to be a serial killer and a cop (anything is possible after all, but is it likely)? Everyone knows of the less than virtuous and honourable police officers [who are in the minority, contrary to the belief of some], who're criminals in their own right, but a serial killer [rather than a spree killer]?

I could see a police officer that murdered criminals, by making it look like self-defence; to me, this would constitute as a serial killer.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 7:53 pm

Generally speaking, serial killers aren't likely anywhere, but you know.

I suppose it's possible, but it's not particularly likely in the case that you described. If there are morals involved (ie, the urge to punish the criminals), the officer is not likely to be able to double cross those, as that would make him a criminal as well.

Plus, the setting of a self-defense shooting would eventually become suspicious. Internal Affairs investigates all of those, and the public can get quite rowdy about them as well. It would fall apart sooner or later.

However, cops can certainly be serial killers (just as much as anyone else, at any rate) in other scenarios. There's the retired one here that's suspected of killing two of his wives, possibly more; that would count.

Three years!

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:12 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Heather, you know these things:

Is it possible to be a serial killer and a cop (anything is possible after all, but is it likely)? Everyone knows of the less than virtuous and honourable police officers [who are in the minority, contrary to the belief of some], who're criminals in their own right, but a serial killer [rather than a spree killer]?

I could see a police officer that murdered criminals, by making it look like self-defence; to me, this would constitute as a serial killer.

that is what Dexter does.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:52 pm

Gamester wrote:
that is what Dexter does.

Dexter is a fictional character whose sole purpose is to appeal to the public who like to glamorize things they don't understand. You can like the show as much as you want, but the fact of the matter is that it's simply not realistic.

Three years!

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 8:52 pm

A cop would be the perfect serial killer. A cop has the inside knowledge of investigation tactics and be able to develop measures to counteract these tactics. Plus, in a courtroom, it seems the word of a police officer is treated like the word of God.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:15 pm

The bees knees topic

Holy pollen count! Interesting article, if parallels can be joined between the humble bumble and a serial murderer.

jeffrey dahmer murdered his victims in his own home, as did Ed Gein.And these killer sociopaths collect memorabilia of their deeds in order to relive the event, often found when search warrants are issued, meaning evidence for use in court.

Perhaps some serial killers, like Bundy and the Ripper are more in keeping with what the bee researchers had in mind. I wish them luck.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:31 pm

I am very careful when I take my victim. The event happens at my kitchen table, and I am careful to clean up all crumbs and spilled milk. I can tell you Mr. Charms and Captain Crunch will never be found :-)

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 10:54 pm

cyberscan wrote:
I am very careful when I take my victim. The event happens at my kitchen table, and I am careful to clean up all crumbs and spilled milk. I can tell you Mr. Charms and Captain Crunch will never be found :-)

::Rolls Eyes::

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and the Ripper's my great grandfather. :roll: :roll:

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

cyberscan wrote:

Reminds me... I haven't heard from Snap, Crackle, or Pop in quite some time...