Seeking ugly women for Outback's lonely hearts

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:28 pm

Seeking ugly women for Outback's lonely hearts

This is wrong on so many levels... why seek 'ugly' women? Why not look for 'adventurous' women with 'pioneering spirits'?

And if 'attractive' women show up, will they be turned away?

As someone with prosopagnosia (inability to recognise faces), I am often left puzzled as to why some people are labeled as 'ugly' or 'pretty', when I can't see much of a difference between them...

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:58 pm

The advertisement is somewhat prejudice. Basically they are implying the men are so desperate that they will except any woman even the ugly ones. Which further translates into basically only fat women are called ugly these days.

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2008, 11:45 pm

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Therefore the "ugly" women part makes no sense, and is just a toned down example of sexism.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:19 am

Ticker wrote:
Which further translates into basically only fat women are called ugly these days.

While I agree with most of your post, Ticker, I have to disagree with this part. From personal experience I can say that there's ways to be thin as a rail and still be considered ugly enough to exclude and ridicule by the most self-professed "tolerant" and "accepting" people you know. :roll:

jrknothead, maybe it's just because I myself have been on the receiving end of discrimination and mistreatment based on my looks, and also because I'm asexual, but I also don't get the whole thing of "who's hot and who's not." Sometimes a certain thing about someone, like their eyes or their hair, will be intriguing to me, but not enough to decide if I like them overall or not. The things "normal" people obsess over confuse me and seem irrelevant.

It would be amusing if no one actually showed up to that, whereas it would be quite sad if a lot of people have internalized people's insulting them enough to label themselves as such and attend.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:16 am

lure women over by insulting them???

stupid idea.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:27 am

BokeKaeru wrote:
:

jrknothead, maybe it's just because I myself have been on the receiving end of discrimination and mistreatment based on my looks, and also because I'm asexual, but I also don't get the whole thing of "who's hot and who's not." Sometimes a certain thing about someone, like their eyes or their hair, will be intriguing to me, but not enough to decide if I like them overall or not. The things "normal" people obsess over confuse me and seem irrelevant.

Consider yourself lucky... people who judge others based on looks alone are people you're better off not knowing anyway...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 8:55 am

This might actually be a brilliant idea. Lonely guys get laid, ugly girls get attention of lonely guys. It's a win-win. But how many ugly girls have to be told they're ugly ?

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

well they are cleverer than you give them credit for. Just because the girl thinks she's ugly, doesn't mean she is. There might be a girl who finds herself unnatractive, with very low self asteem, but the guy will find her attractive. In that case this girl will shoot below her league and go out with a desperate loser, who's very sneaky :P

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:51 am

No, assuming she has no illusions about her own homeliness ...

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 10:43 am

Well, if they're not ugly when they get there, they certainly will be after a couple of years living in the outback....

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 10:59 am

The kind of female tough enough to exist in the wasteland would not be pleasing to the eye. As a woman, you'd need more testosterone than the average man. There's nothing ladlylike about peeing in a hole in the ground and biting the heads off snakes.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:19 am

I kind of like the idea. You certianly can feel ugly inside as well.
I most certianly would have added the "and men", but the over all concept I like.
And indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

jrknothead wrote:
BokeKaeru wrote:
:

Consider yourself lucky... people who judge others based on looks alone are people you're better off not knowing anyway...

I agree, but dread to think of how many people are in that category you describe.

If there's anywhere in the world where ugly men are in demand, please let me know. It's not for me, of course. :) I've done all that reproduction malarky, it's for a sad and lonely friend of mine

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 6:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The kind of female tough enough to exist in the wasteland would not be pleasing to the eye. As a woman, you'd need more testosterone than the average man. There's nothing ladlylike about peeing in a hole in the ground and biting the heads off snakes.

It's not quite like that in Mt Isa. The dust from the mines is probably more deadly than any snakes.

On sabbatical...

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

Weird. But the quote at the end is funny:

Quote:
And several local women said there aren't a lot of gems to be found among Mount Isa's men, either.

"We've got a saying up here that the odds are good, but the goods are odd," 27-year-old Anna Warrick told The Brisbane Times.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2008, 3:37 pm

Who's to say who's ugly anyway? Someone that one person thinks is "ugly" might be thought by someone else to be very attractive, especially if they like them as a person.