Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2008, 9:42 am

Since we are known for thinking creatively, would like to know some of your unconventional ideas ...I had my glasses go through the washer and dryer by accident (don't ask, please) , and the lens kept popping out of the frame. I wear them at night when I take out my contacts. They fell out once again, so without the screw, I had an idea. I took a needle and thread and sewed the hinges together tightly with matching thread. They are super snug, and I shouldn't have to worry now about crawling on the floor looking for that missing eye piece... Will save up for new glasses, but until then......Anyone :wink: listening out there? Would love to hear your ideas!

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 11:01 am

I was thinking of making mobile solar platforms to put in lakes and the oceans. They would be circular in design, with the top domed and covered in solar panels. The inside would house capacitors to store that day's electricity, then as the capacitors fill up they would come to a relay station to transfer their power to to provide communities with electrical power.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2008, 11:19 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
I was thinking of making mobile solar platforms to put in lakes and the oceans. They would be circular in design, with the top domed and covered in solar panels. The inside would house capacitors to store that day's electricity, then as the capacitors fill up they would come to a relay station to transfer their power to to provide communities with electrical power.
I am so humbled right now... :wink:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 4:35 pm

I had an idea of a a stun gun that works pretty much like a Taser... only its an actual air gun that shoots double-pronged darts. The darts contain a small but high-capacity battery that releases it's stored energy almost instantly. The two prongs on the dart act like electrical contacts. It may not be as powerful as a Taser, but would probably still hurt life a mthrfer. It would be better to own one of these than a gun with actual bullets.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 5:25 pm

I wanted to start a business where rich blokes who own exotic cars could lease them to me, and I would sub-lease them to people who've always wanted to drive one. Sounded good, but there was too much liability involved and the Insurance agencies almost freaked out when I described it to them. Sounds lovely though, doesn't it? "Care to drive a ferrari for the weekend, sign up here ! !"

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 8:13 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I had an idea of a a stun gun that works pretty much like a Taser... only its an actual air gun that shoots double-pronged darts. The darts contain a small but high-capacity battery that releases it's stored energy almost instantly. The two prongs on the dart act like electrical contacts. It may not be as powerful as a Taser, but would probably still hurt life a mthrfer. It would be better to own one of these than a gun with actual bullets.

I actually thought up something similar years ago, what you'd need would be capacitors instead of batteries, and some sort of high voltage power supply to charge them up before firing them. There are a number of problems though, notably that capacitors powerful enough aren't sufficiently miniaturized, that it takes a sustained shock to incapacitate without doing lasting harm, and that not everyone responds to electric shock in the same way. My personal twist was to combine a series of high voltage capacitors in the dart with a very small dose of muscle relaxing toxin such as curare, so that the combined effects would be sufficiently incapacitating as to prevent someone from running or operating a weapon effectively. I still don't see it as a viable self defense tool, but as more of a corrections officer kind of device, because you quite simply can't get enough knock down power in an electroshock device while keeping it non-lethal.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:59 pm

Hmm, didn't realize that a sustained low-power shock would work better than an instant high-powered shock. And yes, the size and weight of the capacitors would be a factor. But with recent power cell tech, batteries are starting to get more powerful for the same size, so why not keep them the same power level but make them smaller?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.