Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2009, 3:54 pm

maybe by then we'll have the technology to divert its path

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 4:18 pm

Maybe the Irish Examiner is running this story in an effort to boost their lagging newspaper sales.

A 1 in 44,000 chance (0.00227%) of an impact also means a 43,999 in 44,000 (99.99773%) chance that the asteroid will miss the Earth entirely! (You stand a better chance of drawing to an inside straight in Texas Hold'em.)

I'll be 82 years old by 2039. I'll have a greater chance of dying from emphysema, heart disease, or a gunshot than any old space rock falling on my head!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Alicat1989
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2009, 4:22 pm

do u know how many 'near misses' we have had? millions

wen the world ends u wont know anything about it anyway coz u'll be dead enjoy life while u have it.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 5:19 pm

I like stories about asteroids hitting the earth as much as anybody. This time of year a lot of journos are on holidays, so you tend to find a lot of 'filler' stories in newspapers rather than news.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

relax, this was on the history channel too, so not a chance anything will happen.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:21 pm

In the year 2036 topic

I will be close to 82 years of age. I am not looking forward to that. :roll:

I found a piece of meteorite 9 years ago on my back deck (of the home where I was living at the time). It was about the size of a small potato. I consider myself lucky that I was not hit in the head when it landed. I heard a noise like a thump and went out to investigate and there it was. Small, black and heavy for its size. I keep it for good luck. :D

Death by asteroid. What a way to go. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 7:31 pm

How could an asteroid destroy the Earth in 2036, when Earth's destruction is supposed to already occur in 2012 according to the Mayan calendar?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I don't believe in either "Doomsday prophesy" ... :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 8:40 pm

Dammit, Fnord, asteroids do hit the earth every now and then, sometimes with devastating effects. Here's another one they just noticed, might have caused the Pleistocene extinctions and wiped out the Clovis culture:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=did ... -years-ago

And you'd be less likely to die from a gunshot wound if you'd quit playing poker in Texas.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:35 pm

Hmmm...at least now I know my son's 33rd birthday will fall on Easter Sunday.

Wait a minute...wasn't Jesus 33 when he died? 8O

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2009, 3:37 am

220,000 year ago, 40 miles north of Petoria, 100 time the power of the Hiroshima blast. 1 Kilometer crater. Tswaing Crater.

50,000 years ago Berringer Crater AZ, near the same size.

22,000 year ago, Mauritania West Africa, about the same.

As the Earth is 4/5 water, 4 out of five hit the ocean.

A major hit every 5,000 years seems about right.

This one from 13,000 years ago seems about right, the Lesser Dryas was a 1,500 year dust storm.

The surface of the time has a lot of Platenates, not of local origen.

Some come in so slow they are still deep cold when reaching the ground, and barely make a dent.

Others are a bit faster, leave streaks in the sky, have a burned crust, but are still found on the surface. long angle, lots of air breaking.

Some come straight down, and blow a Kilometer hole.

Some are Cosmic, coming in at 40,000 miles per second, are torn apart by their own pressure wave, like Tunguska, and become a blast wave that starts fires. Tunguska left Yittrium pellets and dust. A rare earth, and a lot of it. Not known concentrated in nature, so some think a ship, it did change course coming in.

Some are crust, some are mantel, nickel iron, and some are core, platenates.

Chunks of core are dense, solid, moving fast, and seem to cause the most damage.

The layer Clovis is found in is gray sand, from organic material, it was long the surface.

Then it was covered by a layer of yellow sand, then red sand, the Lesser Dryas left red sand up to fifty foot deep over most of the western US. There are no intermediate surfaces, it was one long 1,500 year sand storm.

When it was over there were no large mammals, and there are no people continuing the Clovis traits.

Farther east it deposited the Losse soils, seen at Vicksburg MS, 50 to 100 deep, fine powder, wind deposits. Western China got the same, it was world wide.

It was cold, dry, windy, dusty, and right after that the Sahara formed from lakes, grassland, with trees, to desert, reaching Arabia, Iraq.

It was a larger climate change than the ice ages.