Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Abu_Zarqawi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 9:46 am

i found this after 5 seconds of googling, published in 2006

Quote:
The most commonly used drug by young people was cannabis, which had been used by 30 per cent of young men and 18 per cent of young women in the previous year.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget ... asp?ID=740

granted its not a majority but 30 percent of males and 18 percent of females aged 16-24 is a pretty big segment of the population. and there are plenty of people older than that who smoke weed. of course most of these might not be regular users but its obviously not uncommon. but sure ill give you that a majority of brits dont smoke it

Abu_Zarqawi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 9:47 am

also when i was in cambridge finding weed was about as difficult as finding an upper-class twit

edit: okay ive been looking at some statistics and ill retract the statement that a majority in most countries have smoked weed thats probably not the case. but its still ridiculously common, in many places more people smoke weed than tobacco

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 9:58 am

i guess i was wrong about the statistics...

i still believe cannabis is one of the least dangerous drugs despite how widly it's used and it shouldn't have the media attention it does, there are so many drugs that do harm people that are getting ignored as a result.

the united kingdom government defied drug experts when they changed cannabis from class c to class b... looks like the words of expertsare nothing compared to idiocy.

Abu_Zarqawi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 10:02 am

i thought that reclassification was a good thing. the way i understood was that small amounts had been essentially decriminalized. as for ignoring experts thats been pretty much pandemic in drug legislation almost all over the world for the last 50-60 years

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 10:19 am

Abu_Zarqawi wrote:
i thought that reclassification was a good thing. the way i understood was that small amounts had been essentially decriminalized. as for ignoring experts thats been pretty much pandemic in drug legislation almost all over the world for the last 50-60 years

if you have under an eighth the officer who catches you can mae a decision, take you in or give you the choice to destroy it/hand it over, in most cases if you comply the police wont be bothered by it. with cannabis being reclassified to class b many people believe the lies that the uneducated spit out about the 'gateway' theory and how cannabis is more dangerous than anything else when quite frankly it isn't.

Abu_Zarqawi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 10:29 am

baby steps i guess. i seriously doubt cannabis will remain illegal in europe for more than maybe a few decades. eventually some pragmatic politicians will realize that all the money the potheads are making growing and selling it could be their in pocket if they just legalize and tax the hell out of it. sometimes a greedy state can be a good thing

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 10:41 am

Abu_Zarqawi wrote:
baby steps i guess. i seriously doubt cannabis will remain illegal in europe for more than maybe a few decades. eventually some pragmatic politicians will realize that all the money the potheads are making growing and selling it could be their in pocket if they just legalize and tax the hell out of it. sometimes a greedy state can be a good thing

ever watched l4yer cake? the intro pretty much states the same. if the governemnt focused on the positives rather than the negatives the country might be in a better place.

Abu_Zarqawi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2009, 11:14 am

yeah unfortunately its alot easier to fight against than to fight for things

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Feb 2009, 11:59 am

Abu_Zarqawi wrote:
i found this after 5 seconds of googling, published in 2006
Quote:
The most commonly used drug by young people was cannabis, which had been used by 30 per cent of young men and 18 per cent of young women in the previous year.

"Prescription drug abuse among college students is a growing trend on most campuses. According to one large study, the nonmedical use of prescription medications is second only to marijuana as the most common form of illicit drug use; in addition, the percentage of students reporting the abuse of prescription stimulants can be as high as 25% on some campuses (McCabe et al, 2005).

Students are using these drugs inappropriately to not only “get high”, but to help with concentration when cramming for papers or tests, to self-medicate for anxiety or depression, and even to enhance their stamina when playing sports. Increasing numbers of students think of prescription stimulants as safe “brain steroids” that help maximize performance with minimal risk (Kadison et al, 2005)."

"Many of the same environmental problems that contribute to high-risk alcohol use also contribute to the abuse of prescription medication. Students are unable to find healthy ways to deal with stress and other mental health issues and believe that using prescription drugs inappropriately is socially acceptable and safer than the abuse of other illicit substances (CASA, 2005). Friends will share their medications or sell pills for a few dollars to roommates and acquaintances, making the drugs readily available and inexpensive. Laws and policies may be difficult to enforce when students claim to have a prescription if caught with medication.

To aid prevention professionals tasked with addressing this problem, the Higher Education Center has compiled the following list of useful links and information."

source: http://www.higheredcenter.org/services/ ... e-students

The former things have passed away."

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 3:39 pm

Well it made it on the web, here's a pic: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/80530986/

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 3:47 pm

he earn4d it

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 4:43 pm

familiar_stranger wrote:
KenM wrote:
"Well you see your honor, when my client drove and killed those 3 kids, he was high, so its not his fault, throw it out."

you need to start reading what people post because you're starting to become irritating, the 'client' in your example should be punished for killing the three children whereas you seem to think he's innocent and the weed should be somehow arrested...

the client chose to smoe, chose to drive, and chose the option of risk, it's his fault not the drugs.

I admit I mis said my words. But you can't argue that drugs are known to effect perception, how the mind works. Drugs do have effects on how you make decsions.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 6:51 pm

The trouble is...if you do good ,,,better then the rest of humanity...but then you have a short comming, people get mad at you, even if you are a much better role modle then the people pointing out your flaws. Its like, If you arnt flawless, then dont excell

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 8:14 pm

KenM wrote:

I admit I mis said my words. But you can't argue that drugs are known to effect perception, how the mind works. Drugs do have effects on how you make decsions.

I can see from your posts that you've had a bad history with people around you using the drug. Thereforth I agree that you have good reason for disliking it, anyone with your past (including myself) would.

Personally however I have had little experience with the drug (I'm so paranoid about altering my thought process I won't take anything stronger then aspirin if I can avoid it). However my brother has had a little, he even tried it himself once but become so paranoid the next day he never tried it again. The point is he knows several people who use the drug and not one smokes more than once or twice a week. I don't doubt that some people can become addicted to it, anything and everything has the potential to be addictive, but it's not an addictive drug by nature.

KirliaGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2009, 11:38 pm

Michael Phelps was Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Year," in 2008, on the cover and all. I don't think anyone posted that yet, so there it is. Wonder what SI thinks now.

Michael Phelps? Pfff. Pac-Man is my idol.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2009, 1:10 am

i wonder what the phelps bong would fetch on ebay