Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 8:45 am

someone send me a message yesterday about Earth hour,
I never heard of it.
I like the idea of a small action over the whole world, I think it creates conciousness...

http://www.earthhour.org/home/

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 9:04 am

Quote:
Today (Sat 28thMarch) : Earth Hour

in australia, we were all supposed to switch everything in our houses off between 8:30 pm and 9:30 pm tonight. all the businesses in the city switched off their lights, and the opera house and harbor bridge switched off their lights. the city was supposed to be totally black for that hour.
i heard that the eiffel tower was even going to be "dimmed" for an hour (not switched totally off (snobs)).
i heard that even new york neon lit streets would be switched off for an hour.

i liked this idea very much.
i liked the idea of switching my lights off to save energy so much, i could not wait for 8:30pm, so i switched all my lights off at 2:00pm for an hour.

i got my "hour of no power" in early.
(which was handy as it was dark by 8:30pm)

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 9:04 am

hey lemon, long time no chat,

I was told about earth hour a couple of weeks ago by a fellow user of wrongplanet (strapples) basically how its "celebrated" is at night turn off all non critical devices for an hour, have as much people as possible to do this to help save energy for just that one night.

I know sounds odd but some people do things like this

at first I thought it sounded like one of them pre-school teacher directed "theme of the day or week" things

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 10:08 am

yeah I known about it since a while. Im thinking of beeing around the city tonight and catch on video when they light out the biggest landmarks in my capital city.
But on the other hand I have so incredible many other videos that still havent been edited so therefore I have an internal videostop at the moment. I get to see how it was anyway...

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 2:01 pm

yeah, cool this big cities participating, i'd love to see that, but well i live in a very small village, i don't think the people have heard of earth hour here.

it seems one should be careful not to switch off or switch on lights at the exact time cause that might cause problems, don't know if that's true.

happy earth hour (soon) !

heya doordoctor ! !

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 2:04 pm

I'm gonna switch my lights off during the hour, but I wanna keep the TV and computer, cos I'm gonna watch a movie with my mum, and I also wanna stay on here. But the lights being off helps cos from a satellite they would only see the lights (or lack thereof), so TVs and computers won't affect it.

I like being in the dark, anyway.

y es como un semestre"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 2:09 pm

lemon wrote:
someone send me a message yesterday about Earth hour,
I never heard of it.
I like the idea of a small action over the whole world, I think it creates conciousness...

http://www.earthhour.org/home/

I am turning every light in my house on my grounds up full for an hour.

ruveyn

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:24 pm

So, if everyone on the electrical grid suddenly stops using power, what effect will that have on the grid? I would expect overloads...

or maybe this is a nefarious plot by someone who wants a good portion of the available electrical power freed up to enable testing of a device that consumes an awful lot of power, like a planet-dissolving death star laser or a hurricane generator...

If saturn suddenly gets vaporized on that day, you'll know why...

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:30 pm

jrknothead wrote:
So, if everyone on the electrical grid suddenly stops using power, what effect will that have on the grid? I would expect overloads...

or maybe this is a nefarious plot by someone who wants a good portion of the available electrical power freed up to enable testing of a device that consumes an awful lot of power, like a planet-dissolving death star laser or a hurricane generator...

If saturn suddenly gets vaporized on that day, you'll know why...

Good point. Paranoid beyond belief, but not entirely unfeasible...

y es como un semestre"

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 3:42 pm

so tonight turn on everything in your house

alcockell
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2009, 4:12 pm

Too right... we Aspies *need* this high-tech economy...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:37 pm

cant, ill be playing l4d, cod4, or css during that time.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 5:55 pm

I heard about it this morning but I didn't hear about the time until just now. I think it's a stupid idea and I won't be doing anything for it. I just hope no homeowner or business owner is forced to participate.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

arnyswart
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2009, 6:17 pm

I personally think it is idiotic if anyone knows anything about power it is not like water. If you do not use it, it still needs to be created and then bled off into the earth. Think of all the poor workers on the power grid who will have to put in extra hours working tonight to cope with the change. No one ever considers what grounding electricity does on a grand scale however I think they should.

IBM have a much better idea. They are analysing the power consuption of different areas and will start a distribution based on known consumption rather than unlimited supply. This will reduce Australias required power output by up to 30% continuously by making it more efficient. Now that is Earth year. :)

I am a great believer in conservation but this idea to me is just idiotic. Now Earth hour to build natural ways or gaining energy via sola, wind etc would be a much better use of everyones time.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2009, 7:06 pm

I also find it stupid that people would want to aim to turn off everything for 1 hour, rather then reduce consumption overall. 2nd way is far better. One is feasible in the long term and one is not.

I was at work (supermarket) during 'earth hour'. They turned off every 2nd ceiling light while leaving on every single light that shines down on certain products (eg makeup, produce department) to make them look more appealing. Good job work at turning off the essential lights but leaving all the pointless ones on.

I also find it silly that people wish to save the earth by conducting unnecessary travel to go to some earth hour concert. how much power does that use to set up/run?

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 7:36 pm

My mom just invited me to drive downtown with her to walk around in the dark. If they shut off the streetlights outside my house I'd go out because I love the dark, but it seems stupid to waste gas to drive downtown when you wouldn't otherwise.

But we're 6 minutes into earth hour here and the lights are still on outside my house so no darkness for me :(