Another story about the aspie and the cop.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:01 pm

Amen to that Ascan.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:10 pm

bloody typical...

i was shocked by not surprised at BeeBee's story. i can see that happening often - people "in charge" who know have the foggiest idea about what's going on, with people like me trying to diffuse a situation, or explain IEPs, etc., etc, and people who are paid three times what i am sticking their (uninformed) oar in , and making the siuation escalate out of control.

yep - this happened to me (as a teacher) - can you guess?

i wish people would let the people who actually know what they're doing get on with their jobs. :evil:

BeeBee - i'm so glad your lawyer sounds as though he/she's on your side. any more news?

and am sending supportive thoughts to you, D and anyone else around you who needs them.

(((hugs)))

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:37 pm

My main concern are the secondary effects.

First, it could actually improve his image (assuming the typical opinions of AS people, and assuming by, reading other people experiences) These are kids, and if the situation was viewed as a rebellious act, two things are likely to occur.
1.) The bullying (if it exists) would likely stop. The other kids would likely respect or fear him.
2.) He would be viewed as 'da man' for standing up to authority. (kids, peer pressure, etc...)

Second, and my main concern; If it isn't already tough enough to be AS, under the scrutiny of i highly social seeting as school. Add that the peer pressure, and cliques. His school was probably a daily challenge prior to this incident. The disrespectful way that he was handled, and the spin that the other students might place on the incident, just exacerbated his already strenuous situation.

I actually was thinking, instead of assuming a defensive posture (regarding the filed charges), i would think another option would be to take an offensive position.
Their own Lawyer admitted that the cop was out of line.
You suggested that D (he already told us his name by the way) had rights under IEP and the principle disregarded State policy, and instituted his own.
Also, the principle, states that he must treat every child consistently. That is a fine philosophy, if every child had the same exact needs. Unfortunately that is not the case, thus IEP.

Reading through this and i suspect i don't have all the facts, but that does not matter.

You seem worried about D and the Charges. I am under the opinion that the school board should be worried. Why do you think that everybody at the school is acting SOOOOO, understanding and helpful about his situation, now.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:43 pm

You have very good points, SB.

I'll need to think them though better. I haven't been getting much sleep as of late. :?

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 4:48 pm

You are a kind person BeeBee.
you have come to my aid in the past without even being asked.

If there is anything i can do for you, i'd like to help

As is, right now. I can offer my pit bull way of thinking. and my best wishes for you and your family (which i give now.)

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

05 Jan 2006, 4:58 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Quote:
having been a former teacher, I can tell you with almost absolute certanity that the school had no support fro dicipline from the parents and they resorted to the next step.

8O

Being on the other side of the table, ie having had a son cuffed and arrested, I think this is a large assumption.

BeeBee

I shoud have said OR not and. My experience has been with parents that WONT help. We had a police officer on campus, and he wasnt allowed to touch a child unless there was physical harm of that child or another involved, and then the principal often usedthe coaches. If your son had an IEP that stated he may remain in the office then the principal is the one to blaim. The officer had no way of knowing, I assume, that he had an IEP or what it stated. As far as being outside his scope as law enforcement... that is iffy. If the principal, who is incharge of the propetery, requests the removal of a person from a location, that can be enforced by police officers in most juristictions. I dont think your son should be charged with a thing especally since that IEP was not followed. The Principal should be looked at because he broke the laws governing the IEPs in the ADA. I would threaten to bring charges aginsst the school because the principal failed to adhere to the ADA and your son'd IEP, which is his responsibility to know about since the office is where your son was told to go.
I had a student that used my room as a "haven" , it was in his IEP as well. One coach tried to write him up for comming to my room (he followed procedures of informing her first) and the assistant principal just laughed at her. But the big principal didnt think that the special ed "stuff" was nessassary and he would have suspended the boy had he been there that day.

I suspect that your principal is not "pro special ed"

As a former teacher you wouldnt beleave the racist remarks, anti-special ed attitides, and so on that are spread in a teachers lounge. I stayed away from all that as often as I could because it was nothing but poison to a young, fresh teacher, as I once was.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 5:18 pm

Another prime example of why you are on 'the list'.

well communicated thoughts.

What i didn't communicate well and which i will take this opportunity to do so.

By acting offeded (offensive stance) over this situation, i believe that you could have the Charges, magically disappear. Any further actions would be your prorogative. But i assume your immeadiate concern is a dismissal of charges. I think its highly likely to occur. Especially because of the assault charges if the officer has bruses. That to me sounds like a reach and a scare tactic.. I always question petty threats.

You should initially include the officer in any offensive stance you take. For it will aid in the squashing of the charges. After your initial concern is satisied to your liking, i would agree withladysmokeater in regards to the role of the officer.

The principle is another matter. If that school was on another planet, like Wrong Planet, the priciple would be charged with flaming, by reason of not following the terms of service.
But, give yourself an opportunity to get to know this person. You already stated that it was their first year on the job. We all know that people go into a new jobg all gung-ho, with a clear philosophy in hand. After time goes by people generally learn to make adaptations to their initial rigid philosophy ( a mellowing with age, and experience).
I know that you are a good hearted person and have no desire to ruin another persons career.

We all make mistakes in judgement, especially in flamed situations. The principles error in judgement could have been just that.

At the conclusion of this whole distastful situation, i wonder; if some good can come of it. Maybe at the very least, on a local level, their is heightened awareness of the special needs of some students in the puplic school system.

That is the end all i would like to see. And perhaps there are many more benefits to the forward progress of special people everywhere. I will give it more thought. right now i cannot think of any more positive long term goals. But i am sure this could be a luanching pad for many positives to come as a result of this distasteful situation.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 7:51 pm

He probably had a reason. 3 teachers yelled at me for being in the bathroom to long and I yelled back and I got suspended for 3 days once. I had to go to speech and class was going to be over in a minute so I didnt have time to get my stuff and ask the teacher.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 8:59 pm

Bland-I think that the authorities in schools sometimes feel that they are running their own little kingdom. I dont think that schools do a good job preparing kids for the "real world". In fact, the school is actually a subculture. No where else in life will you be segregated according to sex and peer groups and have the least amount of freedom; except maybe, prisons. I know that alot of teachers despise kids with differences. I also know that discipline is a must. The teachers of special ed. kids should have a workable plan already in place (with parental input also) in the event of a "situation". The discipline should be explained to the kid also. I did this with my AS son, even though he rarely has meltdowns or serious behavior problems. Hes non-agressive but sometimes wont shut up if hes disappointed and uses violent, graphic language to describe what he would like to do the authorities who wont let him have his way. I discussed every conceivable situation with his teachers and counselor so that there would be no misunderstanding. Fortunately, in our district, we have a well-informed and truly concerned staff and Im so grateful.

EvilWalks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2006, 4:40 pm

Bland wrote:
No where else in life will you be segregated according to sex and peer groups and have the least amount of freedom; except maybe, prisons.

It seems people in prison get time for their own activities, such as TV, weightlifting, basketball. But this is going off-topic of course.