Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 3:26 am

Woodpecker wrote:
Well if it is a 16:1 ratio then it sounds like have better than the spanish flu which I think had a 33% death rate. I heard that the infection rate for spanish flu was about 100% of the population. Spanish flu scares me a bit, I hope that a vaccine is found soon !

How Is It Treated?

Four antiviral drugs are licensed to treat the disease in the U.S.: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir. Most of the viruses are susceptible to all four, but the CDC currently recommends oseltamivir or zanamivir to treat and prevent swine flu infections. The antivirals should be taken as soon as possible symptoms appear.

Tamiflu, the generic name for oseltamivir, appears to be effective against the new strain when taken early, says the CDC

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 3:57 am

Damn, it could be in my city already, Auckland. This thing is moving fast.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:59 am

Happens with international travel. I guess now we just have to hope for the best.

Cant quite get the odd image out of my head of pigs coughing and sneezing though, and rolling in the mud to cool down from fever. Pig Flu?

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:36 am

OrderAndChaos30 wrote:
This video contains some useful information, especially about the sort of masks recommended.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dK5AngPPOo

Who knows, on a more cynical note perhaps our lack of social skills and contact will mean Aspies will inherit the earth.

Nice! Thanks much!

Raikai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2009, 6:08 am

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
the new strain of swine flu is a mix of H1N1, H3N1, and H5N1 (human, swine and avian respectfully), which, seeing as most of those killed so far are under 45, seems pretty lethal. The odds of this combination occuring naturally? must be fairly astronomical.

The incubation period for flu viruses in humans is about 12 days. the mexico outbreak began around the 23rd/24th of this month.

Approximately two weeks ago several samples of an experimental virus combining H1N1, H3N1 and H5N1 went missing/got out of Glaxo-Smith Kline laboratories in Switzerland, Germany and Czech Republic. There are only two circumstances I can think of myself where an organisation such as GSK would want to combine these viral strains:

a) They are attempting to create a vaccine against a biological weapon which either does exist or may exist.

b) They are trying to create that weapon.

There are reported cases of infection not only in Mexico City, but so far as I've heard, San Diego, Texas and possibly New York (schoolchildren are being tested following possible exposure on a trip to Mexico)

For several months now in upstate New York there are reported to be miles and miles of car transporters (pulled by trains) idling at a long disused rail depot with more being added over time. Some of these transporters are apparently fitted with benches and manacles/chains. Some are filled with plastic sheets, plastic coffins.

Yesterday the makers of Tamiflu, Glaxo-Smith Klein, approached the World Health Organisation to inform them that they had a large supply of tamiflu ready on 24 hour alert, and that it was effective against H3N1, swine flu, they may possiby have used the words "effective against this strain".

As a note, one of the largest shareholders in Glaxo-Smith Klein is one Mr D. Rumsfeld.

There is more.

I read things, I draw conclusions...

Hey titus,

ever read "rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy? I'd recommend reading it, or at least looking up the plot summary. It's eerily similar.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 6:20 am

zen_mistress wrote:
Happens with international travel. I guess now we just have to hope for the best.

Cant quite get the odd image out of my head of pigs coughing and sneezing though, and rolling in the mud to cool down from fever. Pig Flu?

No. Pigs can't fly this fast. I suspect government.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2009, 7:01 am

We are quite literally all doomed. I wish I could make an underground survival shelter for myself. It's also funny in a not funny way that something like this comes along when the world is very much over populated and the economy is apparently shafted. I'm sure life will be much better for the survivors. :|

weatherkid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2009, 7:17 am

Postperson wrote:
OrderAndChaos30 wrote:

Who knows, on a more cynical note perhaps our lack of social skills and contact will mean Aspies will inherit the earth.

yes, i like that idea.

That would be cool! Can I be king of the weather geeks?

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 8:44 am

Quote:
Hey titus,

ever read "rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy? I'd recommend reading it, or at least looking up the plot summary. It's eerily similar.

ooh, that is a bit creepy. I was thinking "sell vaccine to a disease we made" in order to "make a killing", if you will, in government contracts for it, as opposed to apocalypse....Kind of like A scanner darkly (**spoiler alert**), where the company paid to rehab the users put the former users to work in the fields growing the flowers which make the drug (forget its name now); or how all the contracts to run the oil fields in Iraq we're sold, at a snip, to a handful of American and British oil companies. What's a few hundred thousand killed or maimed at these prices!! !

sorry, not sure if you're taking the mickey a little or being serious...aspie! :lol: :roll:

Concenik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2009, 9:46 am

Data Supporting Enhanced Human H5N1 Transmission in Egypt

US Air Force Study Suggests 2009 Influenza Pandemic in 1996
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Mocks Pandemic Drills were ran March

Fear of a great plague
The Great Swine Flu Scare of 1976
Mandatory Vaccine Nation

Pre-pandemic bird flu shots eyed / Health ministry to urge study of potential early vaccination recipients

Japan

March 24, 1976: Ford Orders Swine-Flu Shots for All

Twilight of the Psychopaths

Last post by: nik

Experts fear escape of 1918 flu from lab
New Scientist | October 21 2004

Inside source reveals FEMA & DHS preparing for mass graves and martial law near Chicago
Feb.11th2009

Firm set to reap rewards on swine flu

Fort Detrick disease samples may be missing

Biotechnology Company Provided Advance Warning of Mexican H1N1 "Swine Flu" Virus Outbreak

Baxter to work to contain Mexico flu outbreak

10 Students in New Zealand Test Positive For H1N1 Flu

*last post* by: nik

(forum)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:51 am

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 77,00.html

Swine flue: 22 new suspected cases found in New Zealand
April 26, 2009
A School group from New Zealand's largest city of Auckland was quarantined at after returning from Mexico, New Zealand media reported on Sunday.
Twenty-two students and three teachers from Auckland's Rangitoto College were being quarantined at home in Auckland on Sunday after returning from Mexico, many with flu-like symptoms, Radio New Zealand reported.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:57 am

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:

No. Pigs can't fly this fast. I suspect government.

I suspect tourists to Mexico and Airline Tickets, especially after Spring Break

Quote:
Symptoms of infected pigs include fever, depression, coughing (barking), sneezing, difficulty breathing, red or inflamed eyes, lack of appetite and discharge from the nose or eyes

Speaking of govenments www.cdc.gov has latest information

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 12:09 pm

It’s probably even less than 16:1 since 1,324 is only the number that showed serious symptoms and that they know about.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm

I see conspiracy theories as not so relevent for most the part. Regardless of where it comes from, it doesn't change the fact that it's spreading fast and could cause global issues.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:15 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 77,00.html

Swine flue: 22 new suspected cases found in New Zealand
April 26, 2009
A School group from New Zealand's largest city of Auckland was quarantined at after returning from Mexico, New Zealand media reported on Sunday.
Twenty-two students and three teachers from Auckland's Rangitoto College were being quarantined at home in Auckland on Sunday after returning from Mexico, many with flu-like symptoms, Radio New Zealand reported.

Yeah. it seems to be well contained enough. Im not worried yet because Im at the other end of auckland to the students. Anyway I think the world is responding well to this and containing the cases so I dont think we need to expect the Apocalypse yet, we just need to be very careful.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:59 am

1 case in manchester UK, 2 in scotland (edinburgh i think)