Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 10:59 am

richardbenson wrote:
i also read somewhere that it would be worse in the fall. is that because it gets colder or what? more people huddled together. they've closed some schools down in phoenix i think but im not worried. i dont hang out around people anyways. if this thing becomes a killer i might have to to go extremes to save myself like have no contact with humans for awile.

what is eveyones elses plans if this becomes a killer?

I plan to stay away from crowds, keep my self (especially my hands) clean, wear a mask out of doors and not to worry much beyond that. One does what one can.

In the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, more people survived than died. Also we have many more treatment modalities now, than we did then and some form of mitigating medication is in the works. Even now, most of the people who got the H1N1 virus infection have recovered.

I think the media are making hysteria unnecessarily.

ruveyn

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 11:15 am

I don't see it as 'hysteria' I see it as a 'practice' run with the world going through the motions.

unless, of course, it is YOU that died, then you could probably justify the hysteria

Merle

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 3:56 pm

It all seems a bit overhyped at the moment. However, apparently the killer Spanish flu in the early 20th century was fairly mild in the spring, and then became deadly the autumn after. Therefore, the thing to do is to try and contract it now - it seems fairly innocuous and few people have been infected (so you will get the best care and drugs), whereas if it does get worse later this year, the hospitals will be overwhelmed, the drugs will have run out and it might be much more severe and more likely to kill. I'm off in search of someone whose been to Mexico.......

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 4:59 pm

I read somewhere that the mortality rate was higher in Mexico because of:

1) The ignorance factor:

People that were infected did not seek help in time. They were probably the first one infected and did not know that it was "serious s--t". The point is that EVEN IF there is no serious influensa going on and you feel REALLY bad, seek medical attention - everyone react differently to diseases.

2) Religion:

The hospital staff said that it was "gods punishment" and instead of treating the patients with the available anti-viral medicin, they PRAYED TO GOD. (Yeah, that certainly helped the pilot that crashed a while ago and killed almost all passengers instead of even bothering to try to LAND THE PLANE!)

Now, i am not surprised why they have a higher mortality rate :roll:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 6:05 pm

Ichinin wrote:
I read somewhere that the mortality rate was higher in Mexico because of:

1) The ignorance factor:

People that were infected did not seek help in time. They were probably the first one infected and did not know that it was "serious s--t". The point is that EVEN IF there is no serious influensa going on and you feel REALLY bad, seek medical attention - everyone react differently to diseases.

2) Religion:

The hospital staff said that it was "gods punishment" and instead of treating the patients with the available anti-viral medicin, they PRAYED TO GOD. (Yeah, that certainly helped the pilot that crashed a while ago and killed almost all passengers instead of even bothering to try to LAND THE PLANE!)

Now, i am not surprised why they have a higher mortality rate :roll:

do you have the documentation of this information? Could you cite it, please? I know it was the Smithfield packing plant in the State of Veracruz wa the nexus, but could you post a URL to where this story of the 'God's Punishment" was cited?
thanks

Merle

oh, never mind, I found all of this in just one google search, I will leave you to your own conclulsions.

Apr 28, 2009 ... dismissed as a gay disease or god's punishment for promiscuous sexual conduct? ... a person who is (claimed to be) a doctor tells of hospital and city

A. Swine flu is considered endemic in the United States, and outbreaks in pigs have also been ... You started war on Islam so God has given you the punishment you deserved! .... Can't you be respectful for others' beliefs and civilized for god's sake? ... in Leviticus Chapter 11 verse 8 regarding Swine it says: ...

This Imam from North Carolina says that The Swine Flu is Allah's curse upon America. ...

As far as I am concerned all deaths from Swine Flu can be blamed on the CDC, .... Now the Swine flu is called the H1N1. I call it's God's punishment for .... tracts of some patients and hospital staff have died while treating patients.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 8:37 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
do you have the documentation of this information? Could you cite it, please?

Its a google translated article so the grammar is a bit... well, far from perfect, but you get the general idea:

LINK

It is the primary article i read about that. As for the people seeking help in the last minute and end up dying, i have to dig deep into the browser history file and its late. Can do that tomorrow if you want.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 9:18 pm

Ichinin wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
do you have the documentation of this information? Could you cite it, please?

Its a google translated article so the grammar is a bit... well, far from perfect, but you get the general idea:

LINK

It is the primary article i read about that. As for the people seeking help in the last minute and end up dying, i have to dig deep into the browser history file and its late. Can do that tomorrow if you want.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_worl ... fied_.html

respiratory syndrome, or SARS.

Dr. Jesus Salcedo, director of the Dr. Aurelio Valdivieso General Hospital, realized he had a potential crisis on his hands. The ward Adela Maria Gutierrez shared with at least 20 seriously ill patients had to be quarantined. His terrified staff demanded better protective gear or a transfer.

"The religious ones said, 'This is a punishment from God and we're all going to die,'" Salcedo recalled Wednesday in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

but they did not refuse to treat the patients.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 10:13 am

One "flu" over the cuckoo's nest (or is it a pigsty?) topic

Because the economy has the flu, this has become the human equivalent, and it is not the worse yet. The 1918 Spanish Influenza was an autumn disease in Toronto, and elsewhere; thus we had well be prepared for Fall 2009.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:00 pm

Do you have swine flu? Click to find out!

*For entertainment purposes, only*

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 8:01 pm

Do you have swine flu? Click to find out!

*For entertainment purposes, only*

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2009, 11:52 pm

MONKEY wrote:
orngjce223 wrote:
http://xkcd.com/574/

Read all the way to the bottom.

I can see it now... "Lick me, I'm autistic"... :lol:

:lmao: omg I loled at that, hard.

'S what I aim for. :P

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2009, 9:39 am

heya all, i was just wondering, is swine flu fatal?

been looking for a stright answer all over the web and not found one yet. From my perception it's been said that swine flu has killed people... but "most" get over it and make a full recovery. Whilst i can guess that this means it's not i could do with a straight forward answer, meaning a yes or no, being an aspie and all :).

Also, my personal opinion is that its not too worrying, we survived the bubonic plague and im sure that was probably mutch worse :).

JameAlec
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2009, 11:06 am

coregazer wrote:
heya all, i was just wondering, is swine flu fatal?

been looking for a stright answer all over the web and not found one yet. From my perception it's been said that swine flu has killed people... but "most" get over it and make a full recovery. Whilst i can guess that this means it's not i could do with a straight forward answer, meaning a yes or no, being an aspie and all :).

Also, my personal opinion is that its not too worrying, we survived the bubonic plague and im sure that was probably mutch worse :).
AFAIK, any flu can kill. To date there have been 31 laboratory confirmed deaths caused by swine flu. Only two have been in the US, and the rest were in Mexico. One was a two year old child and a woman with chronic health (and presumably immune) problems, which is to be expected with any flu.

The young, the old, and the immuno-compromised are usually the ones to die, and the reason this flu was causing such concern was because healthy young people seemed to be dying of it in Mexico. The thing to remember is that health care in Mexico is crap; in places where it's available people usually can't afford it, and on top of that they're in the middle of a civil war. Historically people in developing nations have died more of flus, so it's not that surprising.

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2009, 11:33 am

Thank you JameAlec :)

Relyt22

06 May 2009, 11:46 am

I honestly didn't read most of this thread, but I can guarantee you that Swine Flu, for the most part, is no different than any other flu when it comes to how harmful it can be. The only thing that makes it significant is that it's a new mutation that makes the virus spread to other human beings. There are plenty of other influenzas which kill more people, or about the same.

But the mainstream media has been scaring us to death with this new one, like they were doing with SARS. SARS ended up being a very mild disease, and H1N1 has even been declared to be "less deadly than SARS".

The 80-or-so death toll in Mexico (or whatever it is now) has been rumored to be an exaggeration, but even if so, Mexico is a terrible country with terrible healthcare, so keep that in mind.

A lot of people also reference a deadly influenza from the 1920s, which turned into an epidemic and killed, what was it, over 50 million people? People fear this could turn into an epidemic such as that. However, our knowledge of medical treatment in those days was very minimal, and prevention, such as vaccines, were still in the fetal stage.

There was a vaccine developed in the 70s for preventing Swine Flu, due to a short scare about it. However, only a few people actually ended up catching it, and several more people died from the vaccine.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 8:51 am

Coadunate wrote:
What is the mortality rate?

If the numbers I have seen are correct, the mortality rate is about 8%.

Can someone please tell me this: I know that people who already have some sort of health problem are more likely to develop severe influenza or even die. But does anyone know excactly what kinds of health problems they mean, and/or what the dead flu victims had? The only one I know for certain is those with newly transplanted organs.
I have asthma, allergies and some skin problems (very dry, sometimes excema, which makes the small pox vaccine more deadly for me). Do anyone know if these put me in the vulnerable category? I worry...