Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

It's not real informative, but it's short and you won't have to wade through all the chemistry terminology that's got my brain spinning after I decided to pursue a brain storm about X-linked recessive traits this morning...

http://www.drugs.com/news/johnson-johns ... 40282.html

The first thing that crossed my mind is, "So as a little boy he grew boobies?? God, he should be thankful nothing WORSE happened!" But little boys growing boobies is a pretty big deal. I bet that didn't do anything to improve his social and emotional well-being. That's before we start discussing the damage the hormonal alteration may have done to his then-developing brain and body...

If I had a printer, I'd be going through a ream of paper today, getting my kids off the bus, and hopping on I-79 South down to Clarksburg. Then I might just take the weekend and scamper on down to Arkansas to show it to the jackass who prescribed it to me in the first place (because I was visibly irritable after going through four months of enough hell to irritate the living snot out of anyone).

OK, guys, it wasn't your fault. Johnson and Johnson misled you. You thought you were helping me.

OK, guys. I'm not going to sue. I want something better than revenge.

The next time a high-functioning autistic (or anyone else, for that matter) tells you, "This drug isn't helping me. Not only is it not helping me, it's KILLING me," instead of saying "You are not qualified to make that judgment," or, "Think of your children and stop being so selfish," LISTEN TO THEM, PLEASE!!

You don't have to agree with them. But, instead of dismissing them and shutting them down, hear them out and take what they have to say into consideration.

The sad thing is, this suit (and hundreds of others being brought against J&J over risperidone) isn't going to help anything in the long run. It's going to put some money in some peoples' pockets (although not near as much as J&J probably made encouraging doctors to stuff risperidone down kids' throats). It might get risperidone yanked off the market (and that's too bad for the people who really did need it, who were prescribed the drug in a legitimate and responsible manner and who have been actually helped by it). It will raise J&J's insurance costs, and they'll offset that by raising drug prices and proceeding to engage in exactly the same behavior with some new hot drug for some "new" hot condition.

I'm working on an essay for next Autism Awareness Month. This is going to be part of it.

If I don't remember that "we" are somewhere between 1% and 3% of the population, and that spread over a widely diverse spectrum, and that therefore the best way for us to protect ourselves is to focus on shutting up and blending in at almost any cost.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled dosage. Er, programming.