What is the dumbist social mistake you have ever made?

Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

hj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2009, 2:51 pm

my health and social teacher was talking about mental illness and said phycitrist get inside peoples heads i had a apponitment with one for the 1st time the next day ! and i though he was going cutmy head open and hav a look later i found out it a figure of speech WHOPPS

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:07 am

In year 8 sometimes when I spoke to my friend Alex when he stood he'd lean against the wall and put his hands on his hips, and I being the clueless person I am, interpreted it as a flirty gesture (he did like me but that's how he stood anyway and I read to much into it). So when he spoke to me I said "are you flirting???" and said what I was interpreting outloud, so he'd be like "what makes you think that??" and I'd tell him. I kept on doing that for a while, I'm such an idiot.

When I was 12/13 I went to a sleepover with my mate bethan and whilst I was in the shower bethan and her mum were arguing over what she was wearing. When I went back in her room Bethan was all tearful about it and I didn't know what to do so I was just walking around looking stiff and uncomfortable until she perked up, I said nothing and I probably looked like a heartless cow.

Kallie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Nov 2009, 10:55 pm

When I was in eighth grade, I used to go around saying "AUGHHH I'm going to eat you!" instead of "I'm going to kill you" or "I'm going to slap you" I didn't know what it meant. This summer my friend who is not straight who happened to like me told me she was going to eat me, and I asked What does that mean? And she explained it to me and I felt beyond dumb for having said that and realized how creepy and weird it must have sounded.

I've also not cried when people in my family have died or were sick and didn't really feel sad. That might be because I wasn't very close to them but I asked what the big deal was and why everyone was crying at a funeral once.

lolcatsrule_123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2009, 9:28 am

well, i have made so many mistakes but the one that really stands out for me was when i was about 7 or 8 years old and i was talking to an older student, and she was playing with plastic handcuffs with kids like cops and robbers, and i was talking to her, and i recalled the other night i watched law and order on tv with my parents and they were trying to apprehend a rapist/murderer and i said to the older girl, ''your like that guy on tv, the murderer guy killing people'', well she took it seriously and was shocked, she told her teacher and it was later revealed that she had started crying and i had to sit outside the head teachers office crying, wondering what i had done, what was worse the teachers were told what i had said and said they were ''disgusted at the lack of respect'' and tutted a lot. i can also remember the time i was 4 and only in primary 1 and i was sitting with older students (again) my auntie had got me a black note pad with a little pink sparkly heart on the cover and a pink pen and i was drawing and they told me to put ''Mrs ******* is a tart'' well, they took it too the head and guess who got in trouble??, i also didn't school that challenging in a lot of my younger years so i wasted a lot of time in the school toilet, like the time i played, ''hairdresser'' with kayleigh, my only friend, where we washed each others hair with soap but then got caught by the teacher, what's worse is i started laughing when i was getting in trouble.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:08 am

You want me to pick just one?!?! Oh god... :D

RedMageGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2010, 4:00 am

Uhhhhh.... When I first started year 7 I was making mistakes all the time. I was overexcited and jumped into things quickly and startled quite a few people... And they just thought 'wow, what is it to her?'

lithium
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2010, 8:20 pm

won an award.

got on stage to accept said award while already drunk as hell.

guy hands me microphone asks me questions. i in all my aspieness decide to answers these questions with short sentences whilst more nad more turning myself away from the crowd, when the guy who was asking the questions (who apparantly was some kind famous tv person of some sort) tried to point out to me that the crowd was over there (in a joking way) i simply replied that i knew they were there, finished the questions and stumbled around a bit. half an hour later i get hit on by girl who also thought that ripped jeans and shirts with anarchy patches looked so much better at award shows (yes i dressed that way that night :D ) do i feel regrets.............nah

Eto
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2010, 4:07 pm

I'm not sure about "the dumbest," but just a few weeks ago my dad's girlfriend showed up at his house. I'm not especially fond of her, though I don't really dislike her, she just gets on my nerves sometimes.

So yeah, she walked in the door and said "So it's been a few weeks! Did any of you miss me? :D?"

And I kinda sorta burst out laughing. >> I didn't mean to, but as soon as I did I felt really bad.

trigger65
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2010, 12:58 am

OH GOSH!! ! Almost got the crap beat out of me for this one, I was hanging out with my younger brother and his friends. one of his friend's mom had gotten in a really bad accident the night before and was in the hospital, someone asked if she was alright, and I had to blurt out "Of course she's not alright! She's in the hospital!"

they should've asked if she was GOING to be alright!

Oh! and n 7th grade I asked my incredibly hot math teacher who always wore really nice clothes... "If you're a teacher, how can you afford such nice clothes?"

She thought I was calling her a whore...

kathryn_7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2010, 4:20 pm

for my final for film class, i had to do a presentation in front of the class for about 10 minutes. I was so overwhelmed that i couldn't get through a single sentence correctly. It was a powerpoint so i didn't have to make eye contact, but i felt like a complete idiot for only for 2 minutes. Don't know if this is the dumbest, but definetl one of the most humiliating.

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2010, 8:05 pm

kathryn_7 wrote:
for my final for film class, i had to do a presentation in front of the class for about 10 minutes. I was so overwhelmed that i couldn't get through a single sentence correctly. It was a powerpoint so i didn't have to make eye contact, but i felt like a complete idiot for only for 2 minutes. Don't know if this is the dumbest, but definetl one of the most humiliating.

I had a friend in High school who did that. But on top of that he locked his knees. Although I can never remember what his speech was on, I certainly will never forget what Noah taught ME that day: If you lock you knees long enough, you'll pass out.

He still has not lived that down. :P :lol:

I am very blunt. People find that awkward.

aziraphale

13 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

Oh Edgar Allen Poe, I have had a lot. I think the one that sticks out most in the mind would be when I walked up to a girl and attempted to flirt with her by telling her she had a pretty nose.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:41 pm

I've had too many to list...I make one or two of them a day.

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2010, 7:25 am

- I said "You are tricky" to a girl I didn't know so well. She looked at me strangely and replied: "Okey...?"
- I told my mother that she looked like a troll, and that only a tail was missing. I forgot thinking.
- "But what will they think when they see your necklace close?"
- "Oh, what a shame. I'm really sorry." (I really meant that, but I sound so ironic that the girl I was talking to become ... irritated? I have a monotone voice.)