Anyone else find going shopping for cloths miserable?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2015, 12:21 am

Earlier today, my parents essentially blackmailed me into going to Kohls for new cloths. In my opinion it is one of the most miserable experiences I have to endure Trying on fifteen or sixteen different pants with God knows how many different fabrics (for me its a textile nightmare trying on all these foreign cloths) in a place that has lighting just painful to be in. IDK, i appreciate that my parents care enough about how I dress to buy me cloths its just. I would rather us all go back to bloody togas if it meant never having to go clothing shopping again.

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2015, 12:37 am

I hate buying clothes for that very purpose, to me it's a waste of time trying on 15 pairs of Jeans. It's really annoying

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:26 am

Yes, when I was a child, teenager and early 20's. Interestingly it's a bit easier for me now as an adult.

But when I was young, it was a nightmare, and I'm sure it was for my mother too when she took me. The lighting bothered me insanely, and the getting in and out of the clothes. I remember having meltdowns and not even knowing why I was feeling so much anxiety and agitation (I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, so nobody knew why I was the way I was).

Also, in the time and place where I was a child, they used to have communal changing rooms. That was horrifying to me, the lack of privacy, even when I was a kid. It just really upset me.

I found myself growing out of some of the discomforts, particularly when I experienced more cubicle situations and the communal space went the way of the dinosaur -- so, that helped, for one thing.

The lighting doesn't bother me so much but I still get annoyed if there is loud music pumping. I try to stay very calm now, and stay conscious of the fact that I may start to feel flustered in the whole experience. So some techniques I use is to move very slowly and deliberately, both when looking at the clothes on the racks (focus on one thing at a time in order not to get overwhelmed), and when in the cubicle trying on the clothes.

I make myself do slow, deliberate movements physically in everything I'm doing, also in breathing, while taking off and putting on the clothes, and I find that this helps me not get flustered and frustrated and start to get sensory overload.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

I try to try on as few items as possible. If it's a familiar brand in the right size I'll buy it without trying it on. And if I can feel that the texture will bother me I don't even consider the item.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

I stopped trying on any clothing about ten years ago. I figured out how to tell if anything is the right size by laying it against my body, both tops and pants. I can tell if I like the feel of the material with my fingers. Therefore my clothes shopping trips now take an average of 10 to 15 minutes.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 9:43 am

I only ever go shopping with my mom, and I find it to be an unpleasant experience. I feel like I can't pick out what I want because she is always there, and trying clothes on is tiresome. Most of the time when we're shopping, I'm thinking, "Can we just go home now?" Maybe I would like shopping better if I did it by myself.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 3:28 pm

I like shopping but I hate trying clothes on.
Fortunately I can feel the material with my fingers and I am able to guess the size by laying clothing against my body so it isn't much of a problem but sometimes I am mistaken.

Therefore I go to secondhand shops when they run 50% or "everything 2-5PLN" sales.
Even if I buy something that doesn't fit I don't feel guilty to throw it away or cut it to make dust clothes because it's really cheap. For the price of a single t-shirt in regular shop I can buy like 10 t-shirts in a secondhand if I want.

Secondhand items are also usually already washed a few times so there is no risk they will go weird after first wash. And most materials get more pleasant after a few washes anyway - factory new clothes texture sometimes can actually hurt before you wash them but gets quite nice afterwards. Not to mention some of secondhand stuffs already lack tags so I don't have to cut them off myself.

And I have my method of choosing clothes. I get overwhelmed by the bunch of colors all around so I just stick to two colors - red and black. If I see a red or black thing I will check it out, everything else gets ignored. Right now I no longer have to intentionally focus on ignoring them - all I "see" is black and red. It's like hunting for collection items. Or perhaps it IS hunting for collection items. I seem to collect red and black stuffs of all kind. Even my computer mouse is red-black.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 6:57 pm

I like trying on clothes, especially bras which are a special interest for me since I was a little girl. I don't really have issues with any fabrics, although I don't care for turtlenecks.

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm

Shopping for pants is such a long, tiring, slow process for me. Because I have an hourglass figure(waist is smaller in comparison to my hips) I run into either one of two problems:
-the waist is the right size, but my thighs are too big
-the pants fit, but the waist is too big(a common problem with high waisted pants)
Or sometimes the pair of pants is just too loose altogether.....

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I try to try on as few items as possible. If it's a familiar brand in the right size I'll buy it without trying it on. And if I can feel that the texture will bother me I don't even consider the item.

This is almost exactly like how I am. I know my sizes when it comes to all articles of clothing, and they pretty much fit the same at all the stores I usually shop at. The only thing that I would consider trying on are dresses. :roll:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

Anna_K wrote:
Shopping for pants is such a long, tiring, slow process for me. Because I have an hourglass figure(waist is smaller in comparison to my hips) I run into either one of two problems:
-the pants fit, but the waist is too big(a common problem with high waisted pants)

Did you try low waisted pants?
I also have the problem of most pants being too wide on my waist and I have 2 favorite pairs of jeans - both of them are low waisted yet comfortable anyway. They don't feel like falling off or bare my lower back as some other low waist pants do.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:12 pm

15 pairs of jeans!? Wow, I usually can only try 2 or 3 pairs before I'm done. My mother once said I'm worse than my father when it comes to buying me clothes. What I really hate about it is having to go in the dressing rooms to try them on. I hate undressing, trying on clothes, and if they don't fit or look right I have to dress again and look for my mother who doesn't stay outside and wait until I finished she just goes off somewhere. I just plain hate it. I heard that other women will try on clothes without buying anything, it's their idea of "fun". That... is really frightening.

Also I totally gross in anything I wear, it doesn't matter what it is. :(

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Anna_K wrote:

Did you try low waisted pants?
I also have the problem of most pants being too wide on my waist and I have 2 favorite pairs of jeans - both of them are low waisted yet comfortable anyway. They don't feel like falling off or bare my lower back as some other low waist pants do.

Yep. I figured out that low-waisted pants are better for me size-wise. The feeling of my pants falling off bothered me a lot too, but I now have a low-waisted and high-waisted pants that fit properly. I rarely ever wear jeans regularly, I usually wear leggings or yoga pants.

AwdiKei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2015, 12:10 am

Yes. There is surely a minimum of at least 3000 other people who have similar feelings. I am one such individual.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 3:52 pm

I'm hourglass too but probably heavier than you guys. Usually I always had the issue where I need a bigger size on the butt but it would be loose on the waist.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2015, 9:54 pm

To answer the original question, I do like having clothes and things and I don't actually mind trying things on, but at the end of the day, I just feel I've waisted looodes of time ... And money. And it's lame because my mom is the shoppy kind of person and she imagines I'll grow up like that; which I wont.

...and for me, NOTHING fits. In pants and tops; because I happen to be really skinny but pretty small and flat (especially at the top) and I don't like dressing like an 8 year old.

Sarah xx