Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

I usually feel this way. I'd rather do things with friends. It's awkward doing things with parents, like going on walks and other places. You?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

I'd rather be alone. If that's not a viable option then friends are the second choice. I hate doing things with my parents too.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

gailryder17 wrote:
I usually feel this way. I'd rather do things with friends. It's awkward doing things with parents, like going on walks and other places. You?

I feel the EXACT same way!! !! ! I thought I was alone!! ! I always hang with parents because I don`t have friends around here and the friends I do have a never see! So it is boring but I love my parents so much and I get along with them. I don`t ever wanna go on walks with them either. Last summer I told my dad that I was embarrassed about walking with him and my mom and he said, "ur not 15 anymore stop being embarrassed ur 21" and I got mad and threw a temper! I wasn`t gonna walk with them anyway he just suggested it.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

I rarely have friends, so I really have no choice but to do stuff either with my parents or by myself.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 11:32 pm

gailryder17 wrote:

I think all teens are that way. The only difference between you and others is that parents try to force themselves on you because of your Asperger. If you didn't have Asperger then they would have simply assumed that you need to be with other teens, like any normal teen does.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 2:29 am

gailryder17 wrote:

You feel this way because you are a teenager and at a point in your life where you are trying to assert your independence and become your own person and you probably, at least subconsciously, worry your parents will ruin this image you are trying to create to your friends, that you are old enough to take care of yourself.

It's ironic because once one actually is an adult, one usually has no qualms about being seen with or spending time with their parents

One of the tell tale signs of actually maturity is not having an issue hanging out with ones parents....of course unless one's parents are those unsufferable types.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 2:46 am

Chronos wrote:
One of the tell tale signs of actually maturity is not having an issue hanging out with ones parents....of course unless one's parents are those unsufferable types.

Well, I never mind doing things with my mom, and definitely am not afraid to be seen out in public with her. I too have thought that to be a sign of maturity, not worrying about people thinking you're loser or whatever for "hanging out" with your parents. Of course, I prefer to spend time alone and do 90% of the time. :P I only wish I had spent more time with my dad.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 3:45 am

I think thats natural, most people dont want to do things with their parents by the time their teens. For me, I find it annoying to be around my parents too long. Whenever they go on trips, I never go cause I cant stand them for long periods of time. Im more happier being alone often times.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 5:00 am

Roman wrote:
I think all teens are that way.

Nope.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 8:34 am

From a parental point of view, I would pay GOOD MONEY to have my son go do something AWAY from us parents and be with friends. I don't think he minds us, and yet I think he knows that he should be out with peers, goofing off -- but it just NEVER occurs to him to do this! I love my son, and love spending time with him, but I'm painfully aware that at 15, he really should be out doing stuff with other people his age. I'm under the impression, though, that short of arranging for friends to come over, there's not much I can do to facilitate his doing stuff with kids his own age.... and I'm very frustrated by it. He's actually fairly social, too -- he just doesn't even think about inviting friends over unless I suggest it.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

That's actually pretty normal for your age.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 9:07 am

Not that unusual sounding

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

BillyIdolFan217 wrote:
gailryder17 wrote:

I feel the EXACT same way!! !! ! I thought I was alone!! ! I always hang with parents because I don`t have friends around here and the friends I do have a never see! So it is boring but I love my parents so much and I get along with them. I don`t ever wanna go on walks with them either. Last summer I told my dad that I was embarrassed about walking with him and my mom and he said, "ur not 15 anymore stop being embarrassed ur 21" and I got mad and threw a temper! I wasn`t gonna walk with them anyway he just suggested it.

1: I like your username. I listen to some Billy Idol songs, plus 217 is my birthday (Feb 17).

2: I think I will be embarrassed for a while.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

I go for walks with the mother to get me out of the house, but other than that I don't like going out with my parents because I feel like it's embarassing.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 3:10 pm

It's not so much that I care what others think as much as I like to do things independently.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 4:50 pm

I have no qualms hanging with my mother.

My stepfather's another story. :\

My sister, totally. She's awesome. :P (And probably reading this)