Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Would you rather have intelligent discussion on any subject then non-intelligent on your special interest?
Yes, intelligent the best 70%  70%  [ 16 ]
No, my special interest 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but prefer interest 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
No, never intelligent. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other or see result 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 23

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:28 pm

Would you rather have intelligent discussion on any subject as long as it is intelligent discussion? I know I do.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:04 pm

I prefer constructive dialogue over debate

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2011, 9:07 pm

What do you mean by "intelligent"? I don't understand it.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:59 am

Okay I will define what I mean.
I mean you talk to share knowledge, you discuss a subject other than tom cruise or that one girls' nose. It involves a deal of learning and understanding. And what I mean covers creative dialogue as well as debate.

Bayes_Freedom
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2011, 7:36 pm

That definition of intelligent discussion was mainly content-based, rather than form-based ("discuss a subject other than..."). Seeing as the question is dealing with content as the second variable - an interest or non-interest - it's not a particularly useful definition in this instance. I'd define intelligent discussion as one where information is shared with the intention of updating beliefs, challenging current thought and developing models of reality.

This could be in any area, and yes - I would rather prefer that type of discussion in any area than stale, useless small chat about a topic I am interested in. Because I like to *stay* interested in my interests, and such small chat is very likely to do the opposite.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:30 am

Actually I do think that form is important for the type of intelligent discussion I seek. Content is also important yet less important personally. Thank you for sharing your idea with me. It has helped me understand what I am thinking of myself.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 7:55 pm

I would rather talk about my special interest, even if it's a less intelligent conversation. I do enjoy intelligent conversations, but only if it's a topic I'm able to speak intelligently on and with someone I'm comfortable around.