What is the dumbist social mistake you have ever made?

Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 1:51 pm

The dumbist thing I every did was that a girl in my class wrote me a letter saying that she liked me and I wrote back saying that I loved her more than anything in the world. Things didn't work out so good. What is the dumbist social mistake you have ever made?

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 2:15 pm

There is the standard list of stupid things I have done/said when I am around people that I like. This list probably culminates with me falling over while talking to a guy I have a crush on.

I'm trying to find the all time "dumbest" thing....*searches brain*

I almost hit someone who, by a slip of the tongue, called Asperger's a "disease." I didn't, but i had to leave the room, really fast.

I asked a dinner guest once if he had said what he said because he meant it, or because he was just showing off...The room got really quiet, really fast.

I might have to add to this post if i think of anything else that has happened recently. All the really hideous stuff took place when I was much younger. That, and I've learned not to care, and how to block bad memories.

No fears on your letter "mistake." It sounds like something I would do. Unless you were lying. That would have been just plain stupid,

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:28 pm

Dumb social mistakes? I got a million of 'em:

Once I wrote a letter to my best friend telling her how much I was in love with her. She responded with a letter calling me "revolting lesbian slime", among other things. Needless to say, we're not on speaking terms anymore.

The first time my Nana met my sister's husband, I pointed to him and said, "Hey Nana, this is the guy who knocked my sister up!"

Once, when my brother and I were small children, he hit his head on something and got a huge bump. My mom said, "Look at your poor little brother's head!" I looked at it and responded with, "That's gruesome." My mother was very upset. "How could you say that about your own brother!?"

Another time, a friend at school was talking about her Italian heritage and how much she loved Italy. Now, I was getting pretty annoyed, because one of my older sisters (not the one previously mentioned) was living in Rome at the time, and I had the immature feeling that Italy had "stolen" my sister from me. So all of a sudden, I blurted out, "I hate Italy! Italy sucks!" The whole lunch table got quiet, and my friend grabbed me by the shirt and said through clenched teeth, "Don't you ever talk about Italy that way again!"

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

I ran out on the Deaf-Blind of OADB and then 6 months later the organization banished me. A Deaf-Blind couple was hurting my feelings right there in front of everybody but I ran out without telling a Deaf-Blind person who was happy I was there. It tops all the mistakes I made in school and everything cuz of the emotional pain I've had to live with for 4 years now. I will NEVER do that one again in this lifetime! The Deaf-Blind get paranoid easier than we Aspies do. I gotta tell at least one that I'm leavin'. When I get back with the Deaf-Blind I WILL tell at least one when I'm leavin'.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:01 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Once, when my brother and I were small children, he hit his head on something and got a huge bump. My mom said, "Look at your poor little brother's head!" I looked at it and responded with, "That's gruesome." My mother was very upset. "How could you say that about your own brother!?"

I don't see much wrong with this. Also, why did she ask you to have a look at his head in the first place?

I can't think of my stupidest mistake. One I keep making though is the one where, when I want to photograph someone and they don't want to because they think they'll look bad in ithe photo, I say automatically, 'I'll make you look good in it'. They always interpret this to mean I think they look ugly, but I'll hide their ugliness. I don't mean this, I just mean I'll do my best to eliminate the factors which commonly make people look bad in photographs. The last person I said this to was my grandma :lol:

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 5:08 pm

Actually making friends. For example you know that kid with AS who's my friend I always keep telling you about? Nowadays, he seems to cling to me most of the time (I even started running away and hiding from him). I also had a similar thing at my summer camp last year.

POKEMONMASTER260
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2008, 7:28 pm

Something I did in 1st grade..........

tikidweller
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

Well today my friend and I were having fun and wrestling in the hallway and she ended up pushing me over and I fell and sort of landed on another guy that I didn't know very well. I made the mistake of apologizing profusely to him which only made the situation worse and more embarassing than it needed to be. oops :oops:

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

My first girlfriend who was 11 never had on glasses before and never had changed her hair style, the last day I was going to see her, she was heading back to the States from Japan with her family, she had a different hairdo and had glasses on. I asked her, "Why are you wearing glasses?". I was already depressed that she was leaving, after I realized how stupid that question was I felt right miserable.

In high school a girl asked me to walk her to her class and carry her book. We had to go upstairs and I usually went up pretty fast, she was keeping up well and I thought she was impressed with me and that she had said "Faster, go faster." So I blast up the stairs all proud thinking myself impressive. I didn't notice her come up or pass me so when it was clear that I had missed her I went to my class. Her friend came to the class to get the book I carried, when I asked what happened she told me her friend had said that I was going to fast. She thought I was being an ass. That crushed me, she was a cute girl I fancied.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2008, 12:51 am

roygerdodger wrote:
Actually making friends. For example you know that kid with AS who's my friend I always keep telling you about? Nowadays, he seems to cling to me most of the time (I even started running away and hiding from him). I also had a similar thing at my summer camp last year.

I have the same problem. I go to make friends, and then I realize how much I hate being friends with people and make an ass of myself because I panic. Or I offend them and then they say bad things about me, which I suppose is what I deserve in all logic.

Kissemiss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2008, 4:42 pm

Oh cheese, I've called my grandmother fat without thinking and alot of things, but I was just a kid back then so I guess I can handle things like that better now.

Though today I told my teacher he looks alot like the guitarist in a punk band I like so he joked around and said ''You think he's handsome 8) ?'' and I said with a weird expression ''Well he looks like you...'' and I realised later that maybe he took it in a negative way so I went to apologize :P.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 1:30 pm

1) tripped over in front of lots of people

2) threw mud on my m8 (grant)

3) called my m8 mum (nathaniel)

4) my m8 tried to rub his penis on my leg (jordan)

miss_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2008, 2:25 pm

its like a repeated mistake of falling in love too easily. sometimes i don't even think i'm falling in love but my emotions overwhelm me and i just say it anyways. almost like i feel like i'm in love when i'm truly not.

Asleep, I still see you lying next to me
So deep that it didn't even bleed and catch me
--The Used

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2008, 5:51 pm

Hmmm...

While hanging out in a high-school hallway with some friends, I once said guys wearing purple looked "so gay", not realizing that one of my guy friends had just come out of the closet.

That was awful, massively humiliating, and also a major wake-up call. I've never used the word "gay" as an insult since, and am also active with Day of Silence and SAFE (Sexuality Advocacy for Everyone) at my University. Don't think of me as a homophobe or anything--I'm slightly bisexual myself. And I was 14...and didn't know how to pretend to be normal.

tikidweller
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

I think that everybody's bisexual to some degree...

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Apr 2008, 11:22 am

kleodimus wrote:
3) called my m8 mum (nathaniel)

I once called my teacher "Grandma". :lol: That was funny, but not a social mistake, I just did it by accident for some unknown reason.

One of my biggest social mistakes would be talking to someone (and showing them information) on my first day of high school about my at-the-time serial killer obsession. I was labelled "psycho" for a LONG time.