Deathly afraid of life after high school. Please help me

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

norintha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2013, 2:32 pm

Here is my situation. I am a senior in high school and I only have 2 months til graduation. Everybody is talking about collage and future careers and its scaring me. I have no idea what I want to do after high school. I've been thinking about this for years but nothing. Since I know I already missed the deadline for college applications I figured I would just get a job and go to college next year because I still need to work on my drivers lisence and get a decent car and there is nothing wrong for waiting to go to college right? But the thing is idk what I would go for. I have NO idea what I want my future career to be. I've had ideas and suggestions but I have not found anything I want to go to collage for and do for the rest of my life. I don't really feel like I've found my calling you know? If that makes any sense. All I know is that I want to get a good job that I like doing, a car, and get out of my parents house and start my own life. But a lot of people make it seem like the only way is college and idk if I really want to go anyway. But I don't want to spend my life working a bunch of lame jobs either. OK I feel like I'm going on and on about this. Basically, now that I'm close to graduating I'm scared on how the rest of my life will be. I'm full of questions and fears of the future. Will I find my calling? Will I find what I want to do for the rest of my life? Will I move out of my parents house? Will I have a happy life? Stuff like that. Anybody else scared by this? Can anyone give me some advice? I would appreciate it.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

I'd say go to a community college for now and take some core courses, the kind that will be required in any major, like English composition and college algebra. That gives you over a year before you have to pick a major. And if you don't already have a part time job, get one. Working will really help you get an idea of what you will and won't like doing.

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2013, 10:15 am

What are your special interests? Perhaps you could get a job related to your special interests.

And by the way, there is nothing wrong with waiting to go to college. After high school, you are pretty much going to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life, and when you want to do it. Which, naturally, is scary. I haven't graduated high school either, and I'm a little frightened of what will happen, but excited at the same time.