Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kate_Austen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2008, 10:16 pm

Anyone else wish they could force theirself to believe an imaginary friend was real? I have this sudden urge to want to trick my senses into believing an imaginary friend is real so I won't feel so lonely.

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm

I can't say I've ever felt specifically like that but there certainly has been times where I've wished to be able to have contact with more people than I do, or to get to know people I haven't had much of a chance to. I'm guessing you're feeling isolated? I can totally understand how that feels, and I hope things change for you soon.

Kate_Austen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 8:40 am

Extremely isolated. ;.;
I hate feeling so different from everyone else.
My best friend doesn't even seem to want to listen to me even just randomly talk anymore.
Parents are making fun of me.
-sigh-

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2008, 9:18 am

Really sorry you're feeling that way :( I certainly know what it's like to be isolated, I'm jobless and have finished school so I don't really get an opportunity to see people very much. Just try and hang in there! There are plenty of people here who are perfectly fine with listening to rants :P I'm not too good at helping unfortunately but I don't mind listening. I know this is the most predictable thing to say ever, but have you tried talking to your parents about why they make fun of you?

Kate_Austen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 9:44 am

They make fun of my bc their view on aspergers and autism is very wrong. They're convinced I don't have it and am just being stupid because I'm not mentally challenged. They refuse to read up on it or listen to what it really is. -sigh- The school is getting me testing once it starts in the fall bc my parents or grandparents aren't being very understanding and aren't really all that willing to understand.

I'm just kinda depressed, I guess. Last night I was trying to talk to my best friend about a twist in our RP and she flat out told me she didn't want to hear what other people had to say about it. I can't tell if she doesn't want the twist bc it's boring or if it's more of a touchy subject than I thought it was. I still have the urge to chat w/ her about it, bc I find it interesting...but now I'm forced to just talk to myself in my head -again- until the subject no longer becomes interesting...which could take ages. >.>

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2008, 10:00 am

In my experience there are two types of parents when it comes to AS - those who go all out with it, decide to tell everyone else you have it, diagnose everyone else with it, and just generally try TOO hard. Then you have those who either don't believe/accept that you have it or just try not to talk about it, or like you talking about it. This is usually because they believe their kid having a label could get them teased, bullied, etc, and they want their child to be -normal-. EVERYONE wants their children to be normal, and I'm sure (though I don't know anything about your family at all so I apologise if I'm completely wrong) that they only feel that way because they are either afraid of what having a diagnosis means, that it could mean you get treated differently etc, or because they think you're just trying to find an excuse for the way you are, or that you are just being a hypochondriac. Parents can sometimes be quick to assume their teenagers (I'm assuming that's what you are) are naturally wrong in their opinions simply because they are teenagers, unfortunately, and take their kids opinions less seriously. Could you perhaps print off a simple fact sheet about what Aspergers actually is (I'm sure there are plenty on the net) and show it to them? If they see those symptons laid out in front of them it might click in their head and realise what you're saying may be true.

In either case, having a diagnosis will definitely help, and at the end of the day, being your parents, I am sure if it was made clear to them that you do have AS (If you truly do) then they will be supportive. Just try and be clear and logical about why you think you do have Aspergers, and if at teh end of the day they still aren't willing to listen, then it isn't the end of the world, because there are plenty of people out there who can give you support - just make sure that no matter what they respect you, and even if they disagree with you about having AS, that they can't "make fun" of you, because it's their job to support and encourage you, and if what they are doing is making you feel bad and even worse, then they shouldn't be doing it. If you had a chat with them, let them knew just how much of an effect it was having on you I'm sure they'd try their best to change.

Kate_Austen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 3:19 pm

I've tried showing/telling them what it really is. I've tried telling them what they think about aspergers and sensory processing disorders isn't what it really is, but they'd much rather make fun of me and believe what they wanna believe.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 3:30 pm

As far as I'm concerned, they are real.

Kate_Austen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2008, 3:52 pm

I wish I could convince myself that. I want to see mine...and feel mine...and hear and smell and hey...perhaps even taste mine.