Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2009, 9:12 pm

I met a kid recently who I consider my friend. He has reasonably severe APD. I'm capable of coping with it, but it would be helpful to know exactly what's going on with him, 'cause I can't find a decent explanation.

I just want to figure out why he has such extreme speech impediments and why at times, it takes two minutes for him to respond to something I say.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 9:31 pm

The issue is not that he cannot hear you, it is that the brain is not processing the auditory data fast enough. I particularly have this issue when my attention is on something else. Most words/sounds go by so fast that my brain either does not pick them up at all or it sounds like gibberish at first. In fact, there was an incident where a bus went into a fence about 50 - 100 ft. in front of me and I did not hear one sound at all.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 12:24 pm

do I have auditry processing problems because often when I'm talking to people, especially on the phone I need no ask them to repeat what they said, it happens nearly all the time, it's like what demeus said, it doesn't process fast enough. I first hear aload random gobbldy-gook like charlie browns teacher

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 1:28 pm

If you consider them a friend is it really important?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 1:31 pm

Often I'll hear the beginning and the end of what somebody's saying because it takes me longer to process it. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it still happens quite often.

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2014, 12:20 am

I think it would be comparable to learning a new language (someone just posted about this actually).

You might know what the individual words of a simple Spanish sentence mean, but when they're said to you, it still takes a hair of a moment longer to fully understand it all the sounds and their meaning. It's a bit like that, but with English and it takes longer.

Scissor...me
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Dec 2014, 7:31 am

Well for some people it takes a few minutes to process or to register the message one is trying to pass. I don't know if that's his case because I'm not an expert. But I have known people like that.

Sarah xx

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2015, 8:57 pm

For me, I literally cannot understand what was said at first, and I always say, "what," even if I understand it after a little bit of time before they repeat themselves. It's a little bit like an auditory "dyslexia" at times, but a little different.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~