Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Comet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 11:23 am

I get it alot ok im 16 but i hate doing it and most of the time refuse does your parents make you wash the pots ?

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 1:35 pm

I tried to get my kids to wash pots when they were small to earn pocket money in order to learn 'work ethic'
They did a terrible job everytime, water spilled everywhere and pots not cleaned properly so I would tell them to stop and do it myself
Then I heard them talking one day as they started saying 'do it really badly then she will not make us do it'
- same for every chore I tried to get them to do, i don't have the patience to put up with a 'bad job' and they knew it...
If your parents are NT this probably wouldn't work for you - just cause strife.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2007, 2:34 pm

Our kids take their plates and cups to the sink, scrape them off, and put them in the water after dinner...if they have been fighting, they all get to do the dishes together, washing, drying, and then putting them away...they grumble, yes, but I also let them know I only have 2 hands and they can help.They also make their beds, even if it just means throwing the comforter over top.. I do 3-4 loads of laundry every day, and all gets folded or put on hangers. The kids are responsible for taking their basket of folded clothes and hung clothes to their rooms and putting them away.. All of this teaches them responsiblity, it may be a pain for them, but it teaches them discipline and to take part of the household chores.....What else would you be doing if you weren't helping to do these chores? We all have things to do, sometimes we have to work before we can play..Peace.

Comet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 2:34 pm

Yeahi tried that one do it really bad us loads of soap etc but its not worth the hassle because i just get moaned at so i sometimes just do it which i dont like i'd prefer to cook,

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 5:06 pm

I don't mind, someone has to do it.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Dec 2007, 9:25 am

My mother always makes me wash pots.

I don't mind though.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 9:29 am

Um...no, but I do it anyway because I'm their son and they support me.

What, really, is the issue here?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 11:31 am

Yeah, they made us do chores. Trying to get out of it by doing a bad job didn't work. If we did a poor job we'd have to do it again, and again, and again, until we got it right. Refusing got us spanked and yelled at and sometimes sent to bed without dinner. So we mostly did a good job the first time. Chores included doing dishes, taking out trash, cleaning our rooms, raking the yard, and keeping our stuff picked up and put away, or it was thrown away.

We got an allowance too.

When I became a teenager I was so used to doing chores I would just do them because I saw the need for them, without an allowance. Now that I'm an adult on my own I do them because I can't stand living in a sty.

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2007, 11:39 pm

i feel absolutely disgusting all over when my parents make me wash the pots and pans. just the thought of that soapy dirty water all over the place makes me feel like i need 10 showers.

tikidweller
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2007, 12:22 am

Yep, my parents make my younger sister and I wash the dishes daily. I think it's a pain in the ass and it really annoys me when they ask us to do it at the most inconvienient times, like when we're right in the middle of watching a really good TV show. But then again I think we should just get over it cos it's part of life.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 11:32 am

Sometimes... but our dish washer sucks so bad half of the time I don't mind doing it :lol:

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:08 pm

only on holiday, if the staying place isn't a hotel and doesn't have a dishwasher. I hate it.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:26 pm

All dishes, no reward, other than, "We feed you." :?

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

Do your parents make you wash the pots?

If you are a native English speaker, I am somewhat disappointed by this.