Do you pray to cope with life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2009, 7:11 am

I do. About my mood, my career, my social life, even for guidance before I go to a party. Or sometimes just to thank God(?) for the help I've received thus far. And I'm not religious, truth be told.

But when I do, I feel weak and needy since I know nobody else who prays as often as I do. How about you guys?

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:30 am

Every day, I do it every day and usually more than once.
Well, most of the time.

yagottalaff63
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2009, 7:47 am

Yes, I do. When I'm driving somewhere, alone, I'll talk to God about things that are worrying me or things that I'm thankful for.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 8:30 am

edit: Sorry for being a distraction.

Last edited by FaithHopeCheese on 30 Dec 2009, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2009, 9:12 am

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
I guess I am HSP not AS, because I do give a damn about people and wish someone would give a damn about me.

I reckon lots of aspies care about other people, and definitely want to be cared about. Sometimes we're even more sensitive to other people's suffering than the average person, perhaps because of our own experiences. I think it's a bit of an urban myth that a lack of intuitive empathy means we are completely selfish. Lots of us learn to empathise to some degree using logic and reason, and lots of us do care about the people around us, even if we find it hard to show it in a conventional way.

Yeh, I often talk to or think about God (or in my case, Krishna) I know I do lots of things that aren't "acceptable" according to religious rules, but I don't let that put me off any more. I used to be feeling guilty about this or that, but I figured that the guilt was just creating an unnecessary obstacle, and I'm really happy with things now. Don't let anything get in the way :)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 10:27 am

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
Yes constantly, and since finding wrong planet, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to connect. I'm listening to music and sending prayer requests to different religious sites that I turn to when I feel lost. I guess I am HSP not AS, because I do give a damn about people and wish someone would give a damn about me. In the real world I just shut people out because I find that I am trying to relate with an honest heart, but they're just trying to have fun. LIFE IS NOT FUN. Unfortunately, I'm obsessed with this site so I can't stop myself from being here. Oops, rant....

oh, wow, FHC, you don't really think that all Aspies don't give a damn about people, do you? Some of us just do, some of us learn to. Search Love and Dating if you don't think Aspies yurn and pine for contact with others. We would probably be better off if we didn't care so much about other people, really. . .

and Life can be fun, not all the time, but some of the time. In an Aspie way, of course. By the way, what is HSP?

Merle

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 10:54 am

edit

Last edited by FaithHopeCheese on 30 Dec 2009, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:11 am

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:
Yes constantly, and since finding wrong planet, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills trying to connect. I'm listening to music and sending prayer requests to different religious sites that I turn to when I feel lost. I guess I am HSP not AS, because I do give a damn about people and wish someone would give a damn about me. In the real world I just shut people out because I find that I am trying to relate with an honest heart, but they're just trying to have fun. LIFE IS NOT FUN. Unfortunately, I'm obsessed with this site so I can't stop myself from being here. Oops, rant....

oh, wow, FHC, you don't really think that all Aspies don't give a damn about people, do you? Some of us just do, some of us learn to. Search Love and Dating if you don't think Aspies yurn and pine for contact with others. We would probably be better off if we didn't care so much about other people, really. . .

and Life can be fun, not all the time, but some of the time. In an Aspie way, of course. By the way, what is HSP?

Merle

Sorry, I didn't mean to steer away from the topic, I was just relieved to see this thread.. HSP - Highly Sensitive Person. I've only heard about it here... without any official diagnoses I am grasping at straws trying to figure out the best way to direct my life. Anyway, yes I can see that a lot of Aspies yearn and are lonely, it's just that I have reached out to a few and not gotten a favorable response. Maybe it's my approach... I need to learn the game.... And there is a game no matter if you're Aspie or NT.. I think the Aspie game is pretending to not give a sh**... actually that's the NT game. I don't know what I'm talking about....

so few of us do know what we are talking about, ((((((FHC))))))) Just keep posting, we are always here for ya! :D

Merle

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 11:38 am

I pray often. I pray about the same as the OP. When I'm in need, depressed, confused, or sometimes just to say thank you. I really truly believe it helps. Actually I have OCD also and I used to justify my intrusive thoughts as signs from god. (for example if I make this basket, then my friend has a crush on me, it's a sign from god. That's an OCD intrusive thought that happens about 30 times a day) They weren't really signs from god and that's why I never thought I had OCD. It's all sorted out now though. God works on a much bigger scale than that.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2009, 5:03 pm

robinhood wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:
I guess I am HSP not AS, because I do give a damn about people and wish someone would give a damn about me.

I reckon lots of aspies care about other people, and definitely want to be cared about. Sometimes we're even more sensitive to other people's suffering than the average person, perhaps because of our own experiences.

Yeah, really FHC... do you ever look at the topics at Social Skills board? Thread after thread after thread of people complaining about feeling isolated and lonely, or not having friends or not saying the correct thing and becoming an outcast over it. I have no IDEA why you'd think aspies don't care about people. :?

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 5:34 pm

edit

Netish
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2010, 10:48 am

Off topic:
hello people...this topic is about prayer not FHC, if you have a problem or want to discuss something pm her or make a new topic!! !

On the topic:
I pray all the time, particularly at night when trying to go to sleep. I am a highly religious person, but I think what defines a "religious person" and what constitutes "praying all the time" has become misinterpreted by society due to its increasingly immoral ideology.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 11:41 am

robinhood wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:

I reckon lots of aspies care about other people, and definitely want to be cared about. Sometimes we're even more sensitive to other people's suffering than the average person, perhaps because of our own experiences. I think it's a bit of an urban myth that a lack of intuitive empathy means we are completely selfish. Lots of us learn to empathise to some degree using logic and reason, and lots of us do care about the people around us, even if we find it hard to show it in a conventional way.
Logic and reasoning means nothing if there is no emotional capacity to empathize. No one's gonna go like "I am a human being, other people are human beings, therefore I should give a s**t about em".

Empathy is pure emotion. Maybe you need logic to figure out why people feel the way they do, but you're not gonna magically give yourself the capacity to feel empathy.

Anyways, I don't pray since I don't believe in God. I think it's real weak to do so. You're much better off mentally toughening yourself up (which takes years to do, but is worth it).

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2010, 4:32 am

Well, to continue with the topic........

Yeah, it's good to hear other people take it seriously too- it's good to not feel alone in this. I just hope God/ the higher power can hear me now and answer my prayers soon!

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2010, 8:14 am

Thrice as of today that I can remember... I... don't really believe in god... but... the two times I can remember asking the big man upstairs for something.... it happened O_O... probably why I remember them.... sure I've probably done it once or twice more and had it not work out, but hey, always healthy to talk to someone about things, even if it's just yourself :).

(I'm open minded, so I'm very willing to believe in god... but don't have any real evidence.... except for the fact my prayers were answered twice in the past.... still, I want logical evidence! xD)

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 10:27 am

I pray everyday for better circumstances in my life and for other people too. I've been doing it for most of my life. Sometimes I feel as if my prayers go unnoticed and thus become despondent and other times I realise that I just need to be more patient. It can be source of frustration as well as a source of hope.