Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 8:23 pm

Hey all,

recently I found out I'm being avoided by a few people in my college, and in short someone's told me that it's mostly because of my social skills or therein lack of such... but also partly because they think I smell bad (and have greasy hair). I'm doing some things to change what they think about me socially, and also showering every day now to change the problems people have with my personal hygiene. But over the last few days I've been prompted quite a bit by some friends and family to use deodorant.

This is something I've never done before, my sister has Asthma, so I was raised not using it, or being around it. I also have my own opinions on the matter now... I feel it's an unnatural chemical stopping a completely natural bodily function, and you cannot stop a bodily function with out some harm or ill effects, and I hate the idea that we live in such a conformist society that everyone -has- to use it. Do you think I should fold to the demands of society and do something I've been against all my life so I can fit in?

on a side note, any sciencey facts you can give me about deodorant itself or it's ill effects (if any are known about yet) would be appreciated.

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2010, 8:40 pm

They make natural deodorant like the Tom of Maine line, but since i have hyperhidrosis I sweat like no other and if I can't stand the smell of me sweating I can only imagine what others would think if they got a whiff of me not wearing an antiperspirant deodorant. I have been around a few people have body odor and it isn't pleasant to be around so I would take that into consideration with your hygiene practices. Another natural alternative is crystal rock deodorant that you run under water. I have tried natural deodorants but they don't work for me so wearing an antiperspirant is a must since I don't want to be known as the girl with bad hygiene who stinks. When I am on top of my hygiene and making sure I am always wearing deodorant and some kind of perfume or body spray I have found that I feel good about myself. So give it a try. Btw for greasy hair I recommend washing with head and shoulders brand shampoo daily.

Last edited by glamourdollxoxo on 30 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MikeyPikey92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2010, 8:40 pm

You really should...I can't imagine going without it...I would smell horrible...

Try out Cologne as well

Brush your teeth and floss

Do everything! you'll feel better!

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2010, 9:08 pm

I use Tom's of Maine and have some important notes:

If you get the one that says, "long lasting" you may have to be careful how you use it--seriously, I'm not making what I'm about to say up.

One day I noticed that my underarms had a cat-piss smell to them and was like, "WTF?!?!?!" I absolutely do not smell like that and was really concerned as to what the heck was going on. After some research on the Internet, I came across some others who reported a similar issue. Apparently, after getting out of the shower and applying the deodorant, if your underarms are still slightly wet, there is a chemical reaction. It has two effects: a) irritation to the skin (which I had as well, but didn't connect to the cat-piss smell) and b) the terrible smell.

Walmart and other stores seem to only carry the long-lasting version, so I've been unable to revert back to the normal stuff. In the meantime I simply make sure my underarms are completely dry before applying and haven't noticed those issues.

Weird I tell you, weird.

On the note of conformist perceptions . . . it's also conformist to not walk up and randomly punch people in the face or not walk in someone's house with dog poo on your feet. This silly notion of conformism is typically pointless as in reality, we all conform--even if we think we don't. It's one thing to reject things that are deemed a matter of preference (music, interests, etc); however, another to reject things that are more along the lines of societal reciprocity. that said, shower and wear deodorant,

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2010, 9:13 pm

I almost never need it, but I drink water almost exclusively... and in all honesty not everyone has the same type/ratio of sweat glands. There is a genetic reason that we smell differently as well as diet. If you are worried about the possible medical issues with using deodorant then try using a natural one. I have personally used Crystal Body Deodorant and it worked fine (baring in mind that I do not sweat much anyway), I am not a spokesperson or anything. It is just the only one I ever tried. It is mineral salts shaped like a regular deodorant, you dampen it and swipe.

I am very sensitive to smells and had no trouble at all.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

I agree with others here; Toms of Maine is a good brand if you dislike chemicals. If you cannot get hold of this brand, go into any health food shop and they will have similar products.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:21 pm

you can get these crystals in a spray bottle that you dissolve in water and spray on - 100% natural. no odor/scent, but stops u perspiring.

im not on commission by the way :P

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm

coregazer wrote:
I also have my own opinions on the matter now... I feel it's an unnatural chemical stopping a completely natural bodily function, and you cannot stop a bodily function with out some harm or ill effects, and I hate the idea that we live in such a conformist society that everyone -has- to use it. Do you think I should fold to the demands of society and do something I've been against all my life so I can fit in?
on a side note, any sciencey facts you can give me about deodorant itself or it's ill effects (if any are known about yet) would be appreciated.

There is a difference, between Deodorant, and Antiperspirant. I gather you are trying to avoid the latter. Deodorant can be fine, as long as you stick with the all natural or as close to natural as possible. An Antiperspirant is the one which tries to prevent perspiring, which is what I find unhealthy.

I went through several type of deodorants; the Crystal, which has been mentioned several times, eventually caused a severe itching rash. (Not saying it would happen to you, just beware.) Then, I tried Toms of Maine. It failed within hours. I went on to try several other kinds, and finally found one which, while not 100% natural, seems to help. It's called Arm and Hammer Essentials. For some reason, I can only find it online, and not in local pharmacies or supermarkets. But it is mild, prevents offensive odor, and lasts approximately 8 hours in cool to warm weather. I have had to reapply it in hot weather, however. Hope that helps!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

I remember being not so politely told that I was offensive in my bodily hygiene. I have since learned if I continually shower and shampoo, launder and fluff dry and wear no scent, my 'social skills' seem to improve dramatically and people are happy to communicate with me. :D

Merle

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2010, 5:51 am

Thanks for all the advice and replies everyone. I guess it's something that needs to be done... Will definatly try out these different brands you've given me, providing they're available in the uk, even then could always get 'em off the internet. So yeah, thanks for the advice and experiences. I'll see how it goes and keep ya updated if I can

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2010, 7:27 am

Hiya,

I'm from the UK, and am really sensitive to smells. I use Crystal Body Deodorant. It comes in a little pump spray and smells of nothing. Feels like just water, so is not sticky.

It allows your body to continue perspiring, but just stops bacteria from setting up shop on the perspiration, which is what causes the smell.

I got it from a health food shop. It comes several forms. I've got a little 118ml bottle and it seems to last forever, several months or a year. Having said that, I am female, and I don't know what your gender is.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2010, 12:22 pm

The active ingredient in most commercial deodorants is Aluminum Chlorhydrate, the same form of aluminum added to municipal water supplies for water purification, where IMHO it is far more dangerous in the long term. Spraying a little in your armpits seems far less likely to be harmful than ingesting it by drinking it constantly.

Wikipedia wrote:
The variation most commonly used in deodorants and antiperspirants is Al2Cl(OH)5. There is no scientific evidence supporting widespread rumors that aluminium salts in deodorants can cause Alzheimer's disease or breast cancer. Amongst others, research published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute[4] found no evidence whatsoever that these compounds increase the risk of breast cancer. However, aluminium is a neurotoxin that alters the function of the blood-brain barrier[5], and it is one of the few abundant elements that appears to have no beneficial function to living cells.

Aluminium, present most often in antiperspirants, but not usually present in non-antiperspirant deodorants, has been established as a neurotoxin in very high doses.[2][3][4][5] At high doses, aluminum itself adversely affects the blood-brain barrier, is capable of causing DNA damage, and has adverse epigenetic effects.[2][6] Research has shown that high doses of the aluminum salts used in antiperspirants have detrimental effects to a number of species such as non-human primates,[7] mice,[8] dogs[9] and others.[clarification needed] An increased amount of aluminum is also present in the brains of many Alzheimer's patients, although this link does not seem to be causal.[10][11][12]

Experiments with mice applying aqueous solution of aluminum chloride to the skin resulted in "a significant increase in urine, serum, and whole brain aluminum"[13] and transplacental passage.[8]

Rumors[14][15] surfaced on the Internet in the 1990s that antiperspirants have a link in causing breast cancer; these are now widely considered to be an urban myth.[16] According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the American Cancer Society (ACS), these claims are largely unsubstantiated by scientific research.[17][18]

NCI considered two studies that address the breast cancer claims: A 2002 study of over 800 patients at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Institute that found no link between breast cancer and the use of antiperspirant/deodorant;[19] and a study of 437 cancer patients, published in 2003 by the European Journal of Cancer Prevention, which found a correlation between earlier diagnosis of breast cancer and antiperspirant/deodorant use.[20] The NCI's analysis of the second study said that it "does not demonstrate a conclusive link between these underarm hygiene habits and breast cancer. Additional research is needed to investigate this relationship and other factors that may be involved."[21]

One school of thought, advanced by the studies of researcher Dr. Phil Darbre, hypothesizes that particular substances in deodorants, such as preservatives called parabens, or bolts such as aluminum chloride used in antiperspirants, get into the bloodstream or accumulate in breast tissue, where they enhance or emulate the effects of estrogen, which stimulates the growth of cancerous breast cells.[22][23] The ACS and other scientists consider these studies to be early and inconclusive, but merit further research; Darbre also stated that her findings did not show causality. The main reservations have to do with the source and significance of the parabens or other toxic substances.[24] Michael Thun, MD, of the ACS argued that even if some of the substances in antiperspirants do promote tumor growth, the risk from cosmetic use appears minuscule compared with other known tumor promoters — from 500 to 10,000 times less potent than taking oral estrogen or being obese.[25]

The FDA warns "that people with renal dysfunction may not be aware that the daily use of antiperspirant drug products containing aluminum may put them at a higher risk because of exposure to aluminum in the product."[26] The agency warns people with renal dysfunction to consult a doctor before using antiperspirants containing aluminum.

All that paranoid stuff aside, Its been in use by billions now for a century with no plague of armpit cancer.

I can say from personal experience that the herbal deodorants do not work. George Carlin used to joke that you could put a bay leaf under each arm and you'd smell like soup. Of course he didn't say it would be good soup.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jan 2010, 3:38 pm

I'd have to agree that herbal deodorants don't work for me. That's why I had to go through so many brands and types until I found one that worked. Of course, if there is an occasion where I want to be especially careful not to offend, like a special social event, I use Mitchum. But that is extremely rare. Mitchum is hard to wash off, and tends to itch and cause a rash for me, when used long term.

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2010, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the information and breakdown "Avengilante". Really appreciate this, and the simple explanation you gave. As you say if it's in drinking water and I'm not using deodorant because I'm worried about the chemicals I may as well not be drinking, heh. I think to a point I've been severely undereducated in the manner of deodorants, but then I guess it's either information that people take for granted, or that nobody's interested in?

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 2:40 pm

I had this issue when I was younger ( 14-18 ). My mom and friends would tell me I sometimes smelled a bit funky and I never been one to use deodorants and perfume, could never take the smell. My mom used to nag at me 3 times a day to take a shower, thing is that I did and I guess I was just in a very sweaty stage in my youth.
I did have the habit of not showering when I was alone in my personal space since I hate getting wet, but when I went out I did my best to stay fresh.
I still got a lot of requests from my mother to take a shower and it was very irritating as well comments from some people but I didn't care much, I never used deodorants though nor perfume.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2010, 2:47 pm

Perfumes and cologne are just too easy to over do. I would not suggest it really. Just showering is sufficient for most people. If you find that it is not enough for you, and you are nervous about deodorants (Some of the ones out now have really intense smells that give me a headache, I would avoid Axe products *gag*), you could try keeping a discrete stash of unscented baby wipes in your school bag. It wont replace showering by any means, but for "touch ups" during the day it would be fine.