American TV is so stupid!

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 12:10 am

Jetfox wrote:
shrox wrote:

Sure, but threatening someone because they don't pay you no respect? That's bullying, no likes a bully. Especially if it's the world's most advanced military power.

and everyone that whines about the usa is just spitting in the military's face. and when i say us i mean us as a country as a people. and as far as i'm concerned they should expect hate and anger. and it has almost nothing to do with respect the usa has done more for this world then anyone and in it's time of need no other countries even lift a finger to help instead they whine because they get the aftershock. after we go through hell and back.

unbelievable is all i can say. meanwhile if the usa crumbles every other nation goes with it, so besides lazy, stupidity is also a factor.

and do you think i really care, not like anyone out there can find my house anyway we had to give fedex directions for god sake. but yeah the usa is getting destroyed from the inside for 4 years straight and no one gives two s**ts and japan is hit with a hurricane and every freaking business news station etc.. etc... is willing to help in whatever way they can even the usa with our 10 trillion$ debt that can't afford to get much higher.

my only concern was for two things, the game companies and the bullet trains beyond that i don't give a damn. heck i feel the worst for those super expensive trains. and i was worried the next games to be released were going to be delayed big time.

and god knows we are going to have to help get the railroad rebuilt for them. the fact that anyone is asking anything of us right now is straight BS. we are hurting enough as it is.

oh why are you worried obama doesn't have a spine to attack anyone outside the borders, you are lucky i'm just a normal person. heck i agree this recent war was unnecessary we could have threw a few bombs in that direction and could have spared the lives of thousands of soldiers. but we couldn't just sit back and let them attack us, and now they want to build a temple on our ground where they killed thousands of our people for no bloody reason other then some psycho said so. how can you justify that.

the families tied to that event are still hurting to this day, i am far beyond the ability to care what happens beyond our borders at this point.

Well, I am big enough to take their abuse then.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 12:23 am

shrox wrote:

Well, I am big enough to take their abuse then.

then your better off then me obviously because i lose what little patience i have left every damn day. i swear when november comes and obama is kicked out of the white house i'm gonna need serious therapy, just to fix my mental state alone.

i'm surprised anyone can watch the crap and be able to tolerate it for more then 2 seconds.

but that's you not me. but yeah i'm also going to need personal therapy for the crap that has been flung at me on the net for 10+ years nonstop. and i am on prozac right now, it helps but only so much.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

I don't watch most shows on television. I like to watch "Bones" and "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. I like documentaries because they help fulfill my desire for information. I like some of the shows on BBC America. I really enjoyed "Keeping Up Appearances" and "As Time Goes By".

mv
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 10:27 am

Wow, I had no idea how good I had it. My TV has an "OFF" button!

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

mv wrote:
Wow, I had no idea how good I had it. My TV has an "OFF" button!

:lol:

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

From the book, Free Ride by Robert Levine, where in the author analyzes how the internet is affecting decent TV shows, first he notes that cable makes TV shows that are so good, you will PAY to watch them. Examples such as Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad. They don't make their money on the commercials they make their money on the subscriptions.

The four major networks in USA have gone in a different direction, meaning reality TV. "As they lose young viewers to cable and ad dollars to the Internet, they fund fewer scripted shows. That's the real reason why reality shows have become so popular; they're cheap. "Without a doubt, there's a trend on broadcast networks ...and you see it in the number of reality shows that now populate prime time..to get as much audience as quickly and as inexpensively as you can, sell advertising, and move on to the next one, " Sapan says. This is the business model that brought us The Bachelor.

page. 142

Meanwhile, producers are flocking to making TV specifically to be viewed online, again cheaper production values, blah, blah, blah.

It will all get sorted eventually, but that is why there is so much boring, embarrassing, ridiculous Reality TV now.

Plan B, don't have a TV at all or just don't watch it. There is a whole decade of popular culture I don't know a thing about because I was boycotting TV, I thought it was stupid and something my parents did..... :D

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 5:26 pm

5 Words - My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

Watch it, get your soul destroyed....s....l.....o....w....l....yyyyyyy.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2012, 9:28 pm

What MV said, the off button...

vampresstcullen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

AngryDesiDoughboy wrote:
I can't stand american TV anymore. There's too many stupid reality shows, such as Jersey Shore, Meet the Kardashians, etc., and don't get me started about 'tru' Tv, or any of that kind of stuff. UGH!! There's NO sophistication! It's not that I can't enjoy simplistic things. I can. But it's such a waste to have shows that either depict a distorted version of reality, continuously feed stereotypes about gender(you can't say that these shows don't send a message...) or just feed our fascination with the obscene, the crass, and the unnecessary.

"Married?!" "...Married!!" "...Married...!?!?" "Yes...MARRIED!! SHEESH!! !" (LOL)

Um, there may be a few shows you dislike but bashing all shows on American TV is just unrealistic, in my opinion. And is it really only American TV with stereotypes and crap in it? In my time alive there's been all shorts of shows on television. You're just picking out the worst xD. Cheer up

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 9:44 pm

You have to remember that TV's demographic is mainly people who haven't figured out that the Internet and video games are better sources of entertainment. If a TV show is really really good, then you might as well just wait a while and rent the DVD set, or watch it on an online subscription service. If a TV show isn't all that good, then why would you watch it in the first place?

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2012, 7:49 am

American television is mostly garbage because most of the best programming these days come from subscription television, basic cable (prime-time), broadcast television (prime-time), sport, and movies. The rest is full of daytime television garbage for people who are out of work for various reasons, "local" news, and informericals, reality television garbage than real programming. Even the best programming these days, you have to buy cable,and even then the programming is limited to the most profitable narrow genres.

I get my visual content via the internet from various sources, because cable has switched over from niche programming, to reality tv with a theme. G4 got affected by it, Discovery channel got affected by it, A and E, MTV and everything else on cable.

As for PBS, everytime I switched to it they're broadcasting some stupid pledge break show for old people to donate just to produce more pledge break programming. PBS compared to the BBC is a joke.

Seriously, how do people watch them anyway? I do not get the appeal of these programs. Besides I've stopped watching cable because I've moved from a house to a apartment that is difficult to get cable from.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 12:25 pm

There are few good shows because it takes a lot of talent to make good television. There's a lot that goes into making TV shows and movies and we have higher standards than the majority, so we often get screwed. Easier to pander to the masses than aim for a more sophisticated crowd.

That said, I love the Late Late Show with Craig ferguson and we do have shows like Grimm, Leverage, Better Off Ted and Arrested Development...

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

Here are the american tv shows I usually watch:

-Daily Show
-Colbert Report
-Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
-Jimmy Fallon

I use to watch Monk and Pysch, but I can't get the new episodes of Pysch, and Monk ended. :cry:

Another good show is Myth-busters.

Sometimes I watch Star Trek on Netflix, but that probably doesn't count.

Are these shows good or bad?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

Daily Show and COlbert Report are awesome...I also like The Big Bang Theory, Spin City and Scrubs.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm

Lately I've been watching a lot of Classic TV, namely ME-TV, Retro-TV and occasionally, AntennaTV. About the only modern shows that I watch, other than the local news, is Dr. Phil, CSI, and Great Performances from the Metropolitan Opera. I watch the classic show like Bonanzo, the original Hawaii Five Oh, Gunsmoke, Dragnet, Adam-12 and Emergency! since they are the only shows that make sense to me. I also watch Hopalong Cassidy, since it went off the air before I was born, to see what was the big deal with Bill Boyd, who played Hoppy on radio, in the movies and TV. I watch the Cisco Kid, mostly because I was a fan of O. Henry at one time. Lassie, I have to turn off at times since I end up having a meltdown, because I end up missing the collie and Sheltie I had growing up, as well as the collie mom and dad had while I was in grad school. Too Cute on Animal Planet will set me off on the waterworks, depending on the breed.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

ME-TV Saturday night. Batman, Lost in Space then Star Trek!