I can't stand criticism older people get for having kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 2:24 pm

I seem to think this one of the reasons I feel I ''have'' to find a partner and start a family sooner rather than later because I seem to also feel that those who have kids in their 20s and 30s get happy congratulations from family, friends and others but older people who have children will still get the same reaction, but will get some negative responses, berating them for having kids too late and should have done it earlier and so on. I've heard of a few celebrities who had kids later than usual. There was the American actress Hilary Swank who had twins and even older celebrities like Robert de Niro who had his seventh or eighth child at 79 or 80, but I am just as guilty of thinking that that is too old really to be having children but I can't dictate what he should or shouldn't be doing and why should anyone else ?

I seem to feel like I don't want to be in a group of people in the future who had kids at a later stage of life and I seem to think all the parents I see with kids all look like they are in their 20s or 30s and not older but I mean I can't tell that and so that's why I'm feeling this ridiculous need to ''catch up'' because that's what they are doing now in life even though it seems hard to make that decision because I'm not in a relationship.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 2:30 pm

No matter what you do in life someone will voice criticism. Constantly flinching away from potential criticism isn't a good way to live and ultimately just leaves you with a lot of missed opportunities, while still leaving you open to criticisms.

To quote a great Canadian poet, if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

And there will always be people to criticize that choice.

With that said, since you can't avoid some amount of criticism you have no choice but to make peace with receiving some amount of criticism.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 2:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

To quote a great Canadian poet, if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

:heart: