Scared of heart attacks because of their unpredictability

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 9:54 am

It's not just heart attacks but even strokes, cancers and so on. I seem to feel that as someone of my age I probably don't need to worry about them but I still hear stories of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s having these issues even though I seem think these types of things happen to much older people. I just can't understand why I have worries about these things when I know full well I am not ill or unhealthy as I don't smoke, I am not obese, I do a fair amount of walking, use my bar bells or do press ups on occasions and eat a balanced diet (most mornings and lunchtimes I eat muesli cereals). I can't understand why thoughts of dying from something without warning are coming into my head again. I used to have these worries sometimes as a child and why now ?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 10:10 am

I think it's normal to start thinking about those possibilities as we get older and kind of face our mortality, even though it's likely a long ways off.

I had a stroke in my mid-40s, and another in my early 50s. I'm not saying that to scare you but so you know that I survived and it wasn't the end of the world for me either time, literally or figuratively. You could also talk to your doctor about your fears and concerns because they can offer mental health support or direct you to someone with more expertise in that area of phobias.

I don't know if I'm able to give medical advice to you since this is in The Haven. Apologies if you aren't looking for medical info. The best preventative advice I can give is that you might consider seeing your GP once a year for a full-body physical including blood labs, cholesterol, EKGs, a full-body skin check, etc. Get regular colonoscopies and prostate checks with PSA. Keep track of your blood pressure at home with a home monitor, if your doctor thinks it's a good idea.

It sounds like you're young and fit but I understand how stressful it can be to have ongoing worries, especially if the concern is something we can't really control. It sounds like you're on the right track by identifying your concern and being mindful of your own physical and mental health.

Sending best wishes.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 28 Apr 2024, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 10:11 am

Maybe you could get testing prescribed as a medical necessity to relieve anxiety?

KardiaMobile can detect AFib, Bradycardia, and Tachycardia, with more determinations available with a KardiaCare membership. $79 accessory for a Smart Phone.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 10:32 am

BTDT wrote:
Maybe you could get testing prescribed as a medical necessity to relieve anxiety?

KardiaMobile can detect AFib, Bradycardia, and Tachycardia, with more determinations available with a KardiaCare membership. $79 accessory for a Smart Phone.

The thing is though I don't feel like I want to take anymore medication. I do take citalopram 10mg which I've taken for some years but I don't feel I want to take anymore than the dose I've got.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 1:41 pm

John Nash was a Nobel prize winning mathematician who famously suffered from mental health issues.
2001 movie A Beautiful Mind.

He learned to manage his issues without medication but very few have ever done that.

10mg is the lowest dose of that SSRI.
But, based on your constant posts on Wrong Planet, it seems that it is not effective.

Last edited by BTDT on 28 Apr 2024, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.