Would you save humanity?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 7:58 am

Nightwing82 wrote:
Edit: this is an extremely nuanced subject that I struggle to talk about. On one hand, I understand that Muslims face a lot of hate; but on the other, as an ex-Muslim I'm very familiar with all the bad arguments. In my opinion, the problem with religions in general is that their adherents are unwilling to view their beliefs and leaders with any level of self-reflection, which leads them to increasingly embarrassing apologetics. I noticed this is the case with Christianity as well. But it not considered politically correct to criticize Islam.

To me, that's the problem with externalising your moral compass, particularly to books that were written in an entirely different time to the one you live in.

When you can just go to a book (or it's students) to be told how to act and what to think, and that book is absolutely, no questions asked, correct on all matters, there's not a lot of reason to reflect. You already have your answer.

I think the reason that Islam faces so much hate in the Western world is because we have, by and large, shucked our religious beliefs (even many of those who would describe themselves as Christian don't actually read the bible, go to church or live by those values) and replaced them with a heady mix of capitalism, science and individualism. There's a tendency to see cultures that haven't done this as less evolved. Who knows whether that's right or not or whether the west will return to spiritual beliefs at some point.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 10:07 am

Nightwing82 wrote:
Imagine, in a fictitious and strictly hypothetical scenario, that there is a virus that will cause the complete extinction of humans while doing no harm to any other species. And imagine that, for whatever reason, you are the only scientist in the world capable of curing this virus and saving humanity from extinction. Question is: would you save humanity or let go extinct?

We have been reminded time and time again by the few in power that no one is under any legal obligation to help another in need simply because they possess the means to do so, so let's assume that same principle applies here as well.

Given that humans are vile beings, full of racism, bigotry, and hatred for everyone else; that humans are sadistic cruel to other humans as well every other living thing on this planet; that humans are causing major extinctions and destroying the entire planet for nothing more than petty short term financial profits; would you save a species that has never done anything but belittle and abuse you, or would you just let them all die?

Aw man I'm sorry you feel this way

Anyway I'm not sure if humanity wants to be saved We seem too intent on destroying ourselves

Nightwing82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2024, 8:20 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Nightwing82 wrote:
Edit: this is an extremely nuanced subject that I struggle to talk about. On one hand, I understand that Muslims face a lot of hate; but on the other, as an ex-Muslim I'm very familiar with all the bad arguments. In my opinion, the problem with religions in general is that their adherents are unwilling to view their beliefs and leaders with any level of self-reflection, which leads them to increasingly embarrassing apologetics. I noticed this is the case with Christianity as well. But it not considered politically correct to criticize Islam.

To me, that's the problem with externalising your moral compass, particularly to books that were written in an entirely different time to the one you live in.

When you can just go to a book (or it's students) to be told how to act and what to think, and that book is absolutely, no questions asked, correct on all matters, there's not a lot of reason to reflect. You already have your answer.

I think the reason that Islam faces so much hate in the Western world is because we have, by and large, shucked our religious beliefs (even many of those who would describe themselves as Christian don't actually read the bible, go to church or live by those values) and replaced them with a heady mix of capitalism, science and individualism. There's a tendency to see cultures that haven't done this as less evolved. Who knows whether that's right or not or whether the west will return to spiritual beliefs at some point.

From now on I'm going to call it" outsourcing one's moral compass.

I disagree on why Muslims face hate: it is because they are outsiders to western society, and everyone hates outsiders. There are valid criticisms to Islam like any religion, and upholding Islamic rules causes problems. But that isn't why people are hateful. At least here in the US, Christianity is alive and well. And openly hostile to everyone who fails to conform to their rigid standards; whether that be atheists, people of other religions, the LGBTQ community, or even other Christians who do not meet their standards.