Get Rid of PE and Bullying In Schools

Page 6 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2006, 12:40 am

Hey, sorry I haven't posted, I've been way too busy at work.

HQ shall be here, unless we can gather some funds and create an official website.

The internet is the safest place to do this. I'm still working on the letter that I'm sending to the superintendant.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2006, 6:58 am

*wiats patiently for HQ topic to be created*

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2006, 9:38 am

Sometimes fighting back is all you can do. But only as a last resort.In my school nobody does anything about bullying even if you tell your parents first. If they give them a punshment it does nothing but make the bully in question madder. In my school it's ether learn to fight or be a doormat. I've had to take down a lot of annoying boys in my school who dared to mess with me (I once had to wreastle down 5 boys at once not joking) most of the time after you fight and win they leave you alone.
But some places crack down on bullying more then others it just depends on where you are.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 2:05 pm

More like cracking down on being a victim. They bully, you defend. They're let go, you get a record of bullying on your pr (permenat record). I'm sure Roybetito knows what I'm talking about.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 10:56 am

I would get rid of the bullying, but not PE.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 7:59 am

How would you propose to get rid of the bullying?

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 11:04 am

Actually, I am going to do something different with this.

We need exercise; there's no getting around it. Throwing non-competitive exercise routines may help make gym a little more tolerable for us. Maybe petitioning to get a DDR arcade cabinet or two installed in your gym would help out with this; maybe assorted martial arts or fencing or archery could be adapted from their college settings to a manner befitting high-schools. Alternately, some schools give you the option to take weightlifting instead of gym, meaning the class is based on individual rather than team exercise.

As for bullying...I never really experienced it or if I did I never really noticed. Maybe it was because I'm relatively tall, or maybe it's because I was friendly or maybe it was because people thought I had the potential to set off another Columbine, who knows? Chances are you're not as lucky as I am so you are probably going to want to look for another group to take you in as its been mentioned before that bullies target individuals. Notify teachers about people bullying you.

You could always smart-talk to taunters that call you a nancy boy. After all, programming is far more homosexual an activity than involves having 20 buff guys dogpiled on you, then going to the locker room to pat your football teammates on their asses before going in for a steamy group shower. You have same problem with wrestling (though mudwrestling or jello-wrestling females are acceptable, as long as the women involved are hot). Besides, who needs football when there's Halo 2 (this game is unusually popular among jocks). It's amazing how FPS games have gone from being the plaything of social outcasts (Doom and Quake) to being a mainstream activity.

One warning; fighting unfortunately doesn't work, at least in school. Zero-tolerance policies now mean that the bloodied victim is just as guilty as the bully that tore him a new one. It's part of an attempt to teach kids never to fight and to be docile sheep. However, as long as you're not actually caught fighting (e.g. it takes place in a back alley) then you can get off scot-free. If all else fails (and even then you should take my advice with a grain of salt), you could always buy a ski mask and some knuckle dusters, drag this jock out of his current underage drinking party, and beat the living s**t out of him. If you need some heavier ordnance, try setting up a dummy corporation under a false name and purchase riot gear from a legal supplier (like alpineco.com); if you're strapped for cash, you can always go to your local hardware store to get materials for a good tower shield (it should be wood gets the job done), and a lead pipe wrapped in barbed wire or a crowbar (if it worked for Gordon Freeman, it will work for you) will make an effective bludgeon. Remember, the point is not to kill, but to brutalize your tormentor so much he won't ever consider beating you up again as long as he knows but can't prove it was you. So this means you should dispose of all evidence; burn the mask and shield, and dispose of the crowbar after using citric acid to remove your fingerprints from it. When trial takes place and there are no witnesses to testify, or evidence to be used against you, you get off scot-free and his family has to pay the court costs, adding insult to injury.

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2006, 3:23 pm

Roybertito wrote:
PE should no longer be a compulsory class and bullying should have much harsher offenses.

Schools aren't supposed to feel like prisons. To us who are bullied, however, they do.

PE is a huge root of bullying. Being left out of activities, being made fun of from the students to the teachers, and almost always left with a feeling of inadaquacy.

i couldn't agree with you more. i remember junior high and high school PE being my least favorite place to be growing up. if i tried to sit out of sports activities, i would receive a poor grade, yet when i tried to participate in these sports i was taunted and ridiculed because i am awful at sports. i think soccer was the only sport i remotely enjoyed.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 12:43 pm

Any more thoughts?

cedarwater
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2006, 11:14 pm

I'm 48 and the NT mom of an Aspie boy. I had to go to summer school 3 years in a row for gym I skipped the class so much! I can fully agree with the posts about how horrible gym class is. I was on my sons side soooo much in high school the teachers must have thought I was nuts. I can only imagine how terrible gym must be for an Aspie if I hated that much. I agree that if gym has to be mandotory make it yoga, running anything but team sports.

TheLonerLatvianAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2006, 12:07 am

I totally agree. PE is downright awful and should be by choice only. I used to be in PE all the time and I was bullied every day. So my parents took me out and put me in another class.

However this year for my sophmore year I have taken up weightlifting it helps me get in shape and I can also fight back against bullies.

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 4:11 am

TheLonerLatvianAspie wrote:
I totally agree. PE is downright awful and should be by choice only. I used to be in PE all the time and I was bullied every day. So my parents took me out and put me in another class.

However this year for my sophmore year I have taken up weightlifting it helps me get in shape and I can also fight back against bullies.

Yeh, right. As it has been mentioned, the zero tolerance polices in schools usually mean in pratice that the victim is just as guilty as the bully.

You may be physically able to but once I reach betting age, I would be willing to bet money on the notion that you get in at least the same amount of trouble, if not more, than the bully.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2006, 2:07 pm

Adults in general who are supposed to be trusted have this unhealthy obsession with sports.
I see it everyday where people who play sports are given more rights than anyone else. Where I work now, this guy was allowed a week off to go to a hockey camp and another guy gets to come in an hour late to take his son to baseball. I try to get 1 (ONE) day off to go to a wedding that I have been asking about for 3 months now and everyone gives me crap about missing the day. I went in and said "I'm taking the day off anyway". My supervisor told me to just take it off and he would mark me but not to tell anyone about it. This is ret*d! This fixation on sports, especially the part that gives "pro" athletes millions of dollars to play games is the most screwed up part of the world we live in. It boils right down to the childhood gym and phys ed classes too. The school athletes are usually given all the rights and everyone else is left to be ignored. I think the major problem is that phys-ed classes focus on team sports and not everyone is a team sports player. There is skiing, track/field, excercise classes, mountain biking, canoeing..etc. There are so many activities that aren't promoted in the stone-age concept of phys-ed.

I myself am pretty good at things like hockey and football but I remember the schools I went to promoting basketball and baseball with little else. I couldn't play those games worth a damn and got picked on severely in the class. I honestly think that if you don't want to go to a phys-ed class, you should have the right to refuse.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 2:47 pm

I think P.E. should become an elective. That way the kids that are bullied in P.E. can elect not to take it. I don't think P.E. fights the obesity epidemic unless it has changed from when I was in school. Back then it was playing wiffle ball and dodgeball. Dodgeball was dangerous because it did permit someone with a chip on their shoulder to take it out on someone they disliked by slamming them in the head with a ball at full force. I never will forget 3rd grade on Friday the 13th in P.E. when a game of dodgeball resulted in head injuries to three classmates and blood all over the gymnasium floor. That was scary to watch and surprisingly I wasn't one of the ones targeted.

I think P.E. does permit bullying because often its less supervised and kids are spread out along large ball fields when the teacher can not see and hear everything going on. I think teachers bare a huge responsibility with bullying because I saw way too many times where they turned a blindeye when the weird little kid they didn't like either was bullied. P.E. teachers are often football or basketball coaches and they would instigate bullying those who were different by saying things like "quit playing like a girl, don't be a cry baby, don't be a loser, you throw like a girl".

I studied and taught martial arts in my 20's. I really didn't see that it helped kids that much except for occasionally having enough self estem to walk away from a bully. Well it did seem to give the kids more stamina to run fast. :) Kids can't use martial arts in school. If they kick a bully then they are the ones that get kicked out of school. Again it goes back to adult responsibility of supervisings kids at all times and the principal's responsibility to kick out bullies. I remember tons of bullies in my schools and not once did one of them ever get expelled for their behavior.

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2006, 7:54 pm

Yupa wrote:
ilikedragons wrote:
Whats wrong with PE?

PE is said to instigate bullying, and I can see where that argument comes from, because whenever my little brother comes home and talks about how badly his day went and how awful the bullies at school are, he mentions that it always or mostly happens during his P.E. class.

because there is no supervision in PE.. and the locker rooms are a horrible place for a kid who has issues.. I agree we need to toss it out... if the schools can not control the abuse then we as parents need to do something to protect our kids.. do you know how it feels to be the last picked because you are not sport like.. the PE teachers are jocks who gravitate to jocks.. its a horrible palce for a kid...

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 3:46 am

The school I went to banned me from PE and PSHE and ENGLISH caus the teachers couldnt deal with the bullying directed at me.

I still hate PE but I know do Judo. Go figure?