Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

I'm stressed out the wazoo at the moment and fuming.

There are things that I am happy about but I'm just going to go into the things I'm pissed about.

I have lots of orders for my scarves but I'm really annoyed at my Mother, I told her that I wouldn't be able to make any scarves tomorrow because I have to do work for college (3 essays 2000 words each) and I have already got six orders that I haven't made yet. What does she do, she says to one of her clients that I may have one of her scarves ready next week. AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. It takes three and a half ours to make these scarves when I'm able to knit fast, the average time is four hours.

I need to sit down and do this essays and I'm in college all week, HOW would I fit in another scarf when I won't have my current order done until week after next? When I got angry about this I was told I was over-reacting and that I've been bad tempered towards her all day. Who could blame me when I overhear her telling someone I'll do something I can't do?

On top of this, my wool supplier sent me wool that I can't use (so far two balls out of 16 are unusable). My Mother said to use them anyways and then told me that I was bad tempered when I said that the wool was unusable. She said that she couldn't understand why I couldn't use it and sell it anyways.

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

You're mother should not speak on your behalf. She may have been trying to be encouraging, best case scenario, all of that. But, all the same, she should not speak on your behalf. She risks putting you in a bind with client.

There's even a business principle, which I think some people take too far but which can be good in small doses, of: underpromise to the client and overdeliver.

Good luck with school. And yes, that certainly is a lot of writing. Perhaps with your Mom, just focus on the future. Maybe when things calm down just tell her something of the sort, Mom, please don't promise on my behalf to clients.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
You're mother should not speak on your behalf. She may have been trying to be encouraging, best case scenario, all of that. But, all the same, she should not speak on your behalf. She risks putting you in a bind with client.

There's even a business principle, which I think some people take too far but which can be good in small doses, of: underpromise to the client and overdeliver.

Good luck with school. And yes, that certainly is a lot of writing. Perhaps with your Mom, just focus on the future. Maybe when things calm down just tell her something of the sort, Mom, please don't promise on my behalf to clients.

Thanks AardvarkGoodSwimmer, I did try that and she said that perhaps I should remove the display so her hairdressing clients couldn't order scarves from me. I got an order for six scarves from one of them (but personally) and there are others who have expressed interest. I'll try again when I'm more relaxed, it's possible she just heard the anger and not the message.

I like the concept that you mentioned, it's probably why I got so angry with her, she was doing the reverse.

Thank you for the luck, I need all that I can get. :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:42 pm

You're welcome. And congratulations on this business. :)

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Thanks. :)

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 2:12 pm

Forget about that client. Let your mother look like a fool so that she knows better next time.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 3:48 pm

FireMinstrel wrote:
Forget about that client. Let your mother look like a fool so that she knows better next time.

Thank you for your time to post FireMinstrel, I appreciate it.

In truth though, it would be my reputation damaged by doing that and this woman (the client) talks a lot, that was part of why I got so angry. Many of my orders so far have been word of mouth, the other amount is from my Mothers clients.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:06 pm

your mum was trying to help, but she did it wrong
you were trying to explain she did it wrong, but you did it wrong
nobody's perfect

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 7:51 pm

I think your mom overstepped her boundaries by not speaking with you first. So you are right to be upset. Maybe when you've cooled off some, you could have a talk with her about your feelings.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive