Is Aspergers the worst thing in the world?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Aspergers is the worst condition in the world?
Strongly Agree 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Agree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Some what agree 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15

DHaze
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

Rebellion against your handicaps gets you nowhere. Self-pity gets you nowhere. One must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world -- making the most of one's best.
- Harry Emerson Fosdick

Everyone occasionally has problems living with themselves as they are. Asperger's can cause this to be a much more difficult enigma when concerning how to find our own ways to cope with our individual personalities. One way that I have helped myself live better is to hold myself to a level of integrity with my anima of being. Some people don't like me as a result, but at least I don't have to lie to myself in order to be able to lie to others about my personality.

You may want to consult with a psychiatrist/psychologist in regards to depression as well. Depression in males causes they to incriminate outwards sources for their internal feelings and extricate their ego from the situation. (I.E. blaming Asperger's, blaming others.) Depression may also cause irrational thoughts and feelings - such as feeling that AS is worse than cancer and the belief that you are the ugliest person in the world.

Live your life as yourself and you will find true friends who accept you for who you are, not what persona you make for yourself to be.

Last edited by DHaze on 28 Nov 2011, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somerandom15
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2011, 2:19 pm

Aspergers isn't the worst thing in the world, aspies not being everywhere is the worst thing in the world.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm

Aspergers is worse than cancer is partially true.
Early stages of cancer can be treated, eliminated and cured.
There have even been cases where advanced cancer has been reversed and cured due to positive think and making lifestyle changes.

Most people with Aspergers are usually negative, pessimistic, self defeatist people with the fixed mindset of a child. Aspergers is a life long condition that can cause a lot of pain and trauma internally and externally in an Asperger sufferers life. There is no magical cure to Aspergers to reverse the sad, lonely, depression, socially isolated, victim, woe is me condition.

People with their Aspergers, often define themselves by their condition. Aspergers seems to be the only thing they have in their life and if it was taken away they would probably be worse off than before.

Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory is the pin up boy-man with Aspergers. He has high intelligence combined with the emotional maturity of a child. Aspergers are genuinely self centred, lack people skills, only see the world in their eyes, find it hard to express emotions/feelings, insensitive and lack empathy towards others. They also come across as know-it-alls regardless of their intelligence level and they genuinely have behavioural problems and learning difficulties. People with Aspergers have to learn how to fake emotions/feelings and empathy to attempt to fit into a world that does not accept Aspergers.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 on 29 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm

:roll:

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:40 pm

Again, allow me to cite watching my father die of cancer.
If I had to choose between a) dealing with my father's death as an NT and b) being me with my dad still around to this day, I would instantly choose alternative b. With not a nanosecond of doubt.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 11:50 pm

It's pretty bad but I know a number of people suffering through much worse.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2011, 12:04 am

Aspergers is a very bad condition that it makes it impossible for a lot of sufferers with this condition to live a fulfilling and rewarding life. Life long suffering with Aspergers or a short term suffering with cancer if you decide not to get the chemo to extend you life by a few extra months.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 on 01 Dec 2011, 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 Nov 2011, 12:06 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Ohh, let me have a go!

I'm the ugliest person in the world! I make peoples' faces melt before they've even seen me! I blame my Asperger's for making me bang my toe into the table yesterday! CURSE MY ASPERGER'S FOR CAUSING SO MUCH PAIN. The whole world is hell when my toe hurts that badly! I get rejected by my own BlackBerry! Just yesterday it refused to get my e-mails because it apparently had "low battery". WHAT IS THIS INJUSTICE?
Oh yeah? You wanna know true injustice? Whenever I ask Siri on my iPhone 4S a question, or tell her to do something specific, she takes me to this thread. When I ask her to dial a number she says she can't dial it because there is a 100% possibility that the other person hates people with Aspergers. I go into stores and make people with heart disease have heart attacks because they look at my face and sense my Aspergers.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:49 am

DHaze wrote:
Rebellion against your handicaps gets you nowhere. Self-pity gets you nowhere. One must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world -- making the most of one's best.
- Harry Emerson Fosdick

Everyone occasionally has problems living with themselves as they are. Asperger's can cause this to be a much more difficult enigma when concerning how to find our own ways to cope with our individual personalities. One way that I have helped myself live better is to hold myself to a level of integrity with my anima of being. Some people don't like me as a result, but at least I don't have to lie to myself in order to be able to lie to others about my personality.

You may want to consult with a psychiatrist/psychologist in regards to depression as well. Depression in males causes they to incriminate outwards sources for their internal feelings and extricate their ego from the situation. (I.E. blaming Asperger's, blaming others.) Depression may also cause irrational thoughts and feelings - such as feeling that AS is worse than cancer and the belief that you are the ugliest person in the world.

Live your life as yourself and you will find true friends who accept you for who you are, not what persona you make for yourself to be.

I think this is one of the best posts I have ever seen on WP. I think the quote you included at the start is a must read for anyone struggling with a disability. More and more I have trained myself follow the logic that underlies this quote religiously, and I believe coming to understand this concept is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I will probably repost this quote on my facebook because it is so great, hope you don't mind. :P

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 9:31 am

DHaze wrote:
- Harry Emerson Fosdick

I have started to live as my self after years of hiding my quirks-as an aspie I can only go on what I see and experience and pull whatever information I can out of my circumstances-this actually happened and its not the first time it happened-when I go to a picnic or party (which is rare that I am even invited out) I went there where no one really knew me and had no idea what I am like or what is inside me-every time I tried to talk to someone and approach them-they turned away like I was intruding or so hideous that they couldn't look at me-EVERY TIME!-no one would even come up to me and want to even start a conversation with me-what info am I supposed to get from experiences like that-they are judging my worth on my looks and whether or not to talk to me-they will never know whats on the inside if they cant get past the superficiality of looks-it happens every time and people say "well if they are like that you don't want to know them in the first place" well everybody does it so am I destined to be lonely all my life because I want to get to know them and they turn away from me and I haven't even opened my mouth yet to talk to them and they have no idea even if they have a reason to hate me for what is on the inside-and now even another aspie who I though was my friend is doing things to exclude me now-If someone tells you every day that you will go nowhere,no one else will put up with you to hire you,your ugly,no one will want you etc etc etc all which has happened to me by the way-you will start to believe it especially when you see it happen-and NT's tell me "no your wrong it doesn't happen" well I was there and had it happen to me first hand so do not tell me it doesn't happen-I want to know what the heck I did to whatever runs the universe to have this happen to me-I will admit that I am like most people who wants companionship and intimate relations just like anybody else and it never seems like it will ever happen and not for want of trying-haven't found any true friends yet that are willing to accept me for who I am-find a lot of users that see what I am like and take advantage-every bodies experience in this life is different-some things work for some and not for others and so far nothing works for me-I though it did but I was fooled by a fellow aspie-now thats rough.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

I disagree with that statement. I feel that cancer is a lot worse than AS, because the cancer patient dies.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 12:16 am

Aspergers is the coolest s**t in the world if you know how to harness it.

If you were to present your post to someone who has, say, cancer, he'd punch you in the face, for real.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 2:14 pm

My uncle just lost his life partner to cancer, I found out today. It started as breast cancer, then progressed to her skeleton and basically ate her up.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 8:55 pm

No people are.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Aspergers is worse than cancer is partially true.
Early stages of cancer can be treated, eliminated and cured.
There have even been cases where advanced cancer has been reversed and cured due to positive think and making lifestyle changes.

Most people with Aspergers are usually negative, pessimistic, self defeatist people with the fixed mindset of a child. Aspergers is a life long condition that can cause a lot of pain and trauma internally and externally in an Asperger sufferers life. There is no magical cure to Aspergers to reverse the sad, lonely, depression, socially isolated, victim, woe is me condition.

People with their Aspergers, often define themselves by their condition. Aspergers seems to be the only thing they have in their life and if it was taken away they would probably be worse off than before.

Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory is the pin up boy-man with Aspergers. He has high intelligence combined with the emotional maturity of a child. Aspergers are genuinely self centred, lack people skills, only see the world in their eyes, find it hard to express emotions/feelings, insensitive and lack empathy towards others. They also come across as know-it-alls regardless of their intelligence level and they genuinely have behavioural problems and learning difficulties. People with Aspergers have to learn how to fake emotions/feelings and empathy to attempt to fit into a world that does not accept Aspergers.

Best post ever

Why because I said so :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm

Asperger's is one of the coolest things in the world and I do not suffer. War is the worst thing in the world. I'd rather be AS than NT.