Just having a horrible time lately

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm

Hi all.
Just having a bad time. There are some major personal issues going on, and I've been getting into a more reckless frame of mind.... drinking more, thinking of actually going to a local bar (I never do that), thinking of a one-night-stand (I don't do that, esp since casual sex would break me and I'm too easily taken advantage of esp when drunk which is why i only drink at home).
I've been wanting to scream and throw things, though I haven't. I have been stimming a WHOLE lot more lately and shutting down multiple times a day.

You are very likely an Aspie

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2013, 10:55 pm

Sounds like depression and self-loathing. It's probably not rational but I wish I knew how to get over it. All I know is that if you're going for rock-bottom than booze is a good way to get there if you want to pull out of it than the typical ways would be, healthy relationships, anti-depressants and hobbies.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:04 pm

Healthy relationships!?
This is a forum for people with aspergers pss...whatever!

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2013, 11:04 pm

I find that any sort of cardio activity that you do for 25 mins or more helps.
It won't magically fix your depression, but it will burn off some of the stress hormones, and if you implement that along with a healthy diet into your lifestyle, you will find your lows won't usually be so long lasting or as low.
I have a routine that I keep up three days per week, consisting of exercise bike for 25 mins, 100 ab crunches, and have started introducing some dumbbell work.
All this can be done in the home, so no need to go out feeling like crap and having to face people.
I have found though, that I need to transition into "exercise mode" so I keep some clothing I use only for exercise.
I also swim 40 laps of a half size pool every weekend.

I know this all sounds like hard work, but I built it up incrementally, and I can honestly say that after a lifetime with depression, this is the only thing that works for me, and it does work about 95% of the time.
The other 5% you just have to accept that anxiety and depression just go with being on the spectrum, so it takes a bit of self care.
Go for a walk in the park, take a bush walk, or read a book, watch a DVD, just anything that will give you a reprieve that you usually enjoy.
Even if you can't enjoy it as much as you normally would if you were in a good mood, you'll still feel better than if you were sitting around moping, or posting on FB or WB about how depressed you are, which can put you into a vicious cycle.

Drinking in and of itself I not bad; but drinking when you're already feeling low will make you feel worse not better, and clearly going to a bar or having casual sex (or both) is not healthy, mentally, emotionally, or physically.
If you have to get out do so, but a library or café may be a healthier option.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:11 pm

benh72 wrote:
I find that any sort of cardio activity that you do for 25 mins or more helps.
It won't magically fix your depression, but it will burn off some of the stress hormones, and if you implement that along with a healthy diet into your lifestyle, you will find your lows won't usually be so long lasting or as low.
I have a routine that I keep up three days per week, consisting of exercise bike for 25 mins, 100 ab crunches, and have started introducing some dumbbell work.
All this can be done in the home, so no need to go out feeling like crap and having to face people.
I have found though, that I need to transition into "exercise mode" so I keep some clothing I use only for exercise.
I also swim 40 laps of a half size pool every weekend.

I know this all sounds like hard work, but I built it up incrementally, and I can honestly say that after a lifetime with depression, this is the only thing that works for me, and it does work about 95% of the time.
The other 5% you just have to accept that anxiety and depression just go with being on the spectrum, so it takes a bit of self care.
Go for a walk in the park, take a bush walk, or read a book, watch a DVD, just anything that will give you a reprieve that you usually enjoy.
Even if you can't enjoy it as much as you normally would if you were in a good mood, you'll still feel better than if you were sitting around moping, or posting on FB or WB about how depressed you are, which can put you into a vicious cycle.

Drinking in and of itself I not bad; but drinking when you're already feeling low will make you feel worse not better, and clearly going to a bar or having casual sex (or both) is not healthy, mentally, emotionally, or physically.
If you have to get out do so, but a library or café may be a healthier option.

Those cardio activities would give me a heart attack for sure. Let alone the rest of the sports you are suggesting.
I would be dead within a week if I would follow that program.

I think it is best to start slowly and carefully when you are not used to pshysical exercise.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:32 pm

Some good advice already given.

I just wanted to give you some questions to ask yourself. You can see your in an emotional state and trying to maybe fill immediate holes, but those may not be the same as the ones that are really bugging you underneath.

What was going on before you entered the bad phase?
What happened, or what things began to get on your mind that began making you feel bad?
Perhaps it is a pattern & has happened before?
If it is a pattern what are the elements that make it up?

It may seem like you have already gone over this with yourself, but what didn't turn on the lightbulb in your head last year, may now. See if you can identify the root problems and perhaps learn something you can use to start addressing those.

:cry:

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Some good advice already given.

I just wanted to give you some questions to ask yourself. You can see your in an emotional state and trying to maybe fill immediate holes, but those may not be the same as the ones that are really bugging you underneath.

What was going on before you entered the bad phase?
What happened, or what things began to get on your mind that began making you feel bad?
Perhaps it is a pattern & has happened before?
If it is a pattern what are the elements that make it up?

It may seem like you have already gone over this with yourself, but what didn't turn on the lightbulb in your head last year, may now. See if you can identify the root problems and perhaps learn something you can use to start addressing those.

:cry:

Your are not a therapist are you?
If so, this forum is a no go area for these fraudes.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:47 pm

pokerface wrote:
Your are not a therapist are you?
If so, this forum is a no go area for these fraudes.

Read my profile *&$# for brains, and then go troll somewhere else.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 11:52 pm

No please avoid any and all destructive behavior when feeling this way. When times are tough allow yourself some time to take it easy and watch a funny movie or exercise to get rid of pent up frustration.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2013, 12:06 am

pokerface wrote:
Healthy relationships!?
This is a forum for people with aspergers pss...whatever!

I've found a few people I'm comfortable around. It's very rare but it does happen under the right circumstances and it does help.

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2013, 10:02 pm

Thank you, all.

The thing about my drinking is that whenever I am drunk, I find everything absolutely hilarious, no matter what frame of mind I started out in.

Exercise? an excellent suggestion, and I have actually recently (within the last month) started an exercise routine. I'm happy to report that I am seeing the results of it, too. While I wasn't big, I wasn't where I wanted to be, and my confidence suffered. I am back on the road to being where I want to be, fitness-wise (I want to go back into martial arts).

I am an artist by trade, but I have been unable to paint.

I will hopefully be getting a crystal ball tomorrow, because they're soooo pretty and I could stare at something shiny and sparkly and deep for a long time with great enjoyment. I might start a collection of them.

I am in therapy intermittently (cost permitting).

My situation right now is very bad, but there are some other factors that could turn it around dramatically and rapidly very soon. I hope so.

You are very likely an Aspie