Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 8:25 pm

Well my mom and dad said something to the effect of "if you want to live in this house you have to live with our rules" over a fight about me making spinach instead of broccoli which somehow translated into how my dad thinks that I think he's evil and also that I can't follow simple instructions or hold down a job (which I am doing so screw them).

Well my brother suggested I could find a roommate to share the rent with and I just wanted to know if anyone here had any advice for that. Because this seems like a pretty good option to me.

Problem is I am seventeen and so that really limits my options. I can't work full time, and I don't know how many people exactly will be willing to rent to me, especially without a cosigning adult.

Does anyone have any advice?

(Price-wise provided I can get a job wherever I plan to move I should be able to handle rent with a room-mate. After tax I apparently make a little under 1000 dollars a month).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

You could invite me over to supper and I'll eat the broccoli while you eat the spinach.

Plus, one look at me and they'll leave you alone as long as you promise never to invite me over again.

:)

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

Best bet is to check the local classified, online or in the local paper or what have you. Most places will probably have a plethora of rooms to rent. If you live in a university town, bunk with university students.

Poor motivation

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2013, 3:20 pm

In some places, house sitting for people while they are out of town for a while might be an option.

To get something like that, you would have to be very clean and dependable and trustworthy. The last thing most people would want is for you to throw a party in their house while they are out of town.

Naturally, there would be gaps when you would have to go home or somewhere else to stay between house sitting opportunities. But the prospects of having no rent or utilities would be nice.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm

Well I applied for jobs and opened a bank account in the town I intend to sneak to. My older brother said he would consider rooming with me.

Rent is 880 a month at the apartment I checked out, I can have pets, and it's two bedroom. Which means provided I have a room mate I can handle it. (I'll probably need to work two jobs.)

My plan B is to call my aunt in another state and ask if an earlier offer to take me in still stands. Plan C is my cousin in a slightly closer but still six-hour removed state would be willing to let me crash on her sofa until I get a job in that area. Plan D is my other aunt in another state who would almost definitely take me in no questions asked but is of questionable mental state and therefore not my first choice.

I am definitely not staying in this house though.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 9:40 am

Before you do anything I think you should check on the legal status of leaving home at 17, where you are. Even though you are less than a year away from being a legal adult, in some places parents can call the cops and have them bring back a kid who is only a month or two away from being 18. I'd also talk to your parents and make sure they are going to be ok with you leaving, as in not calling the cops on you.

Is there any chance you could talk to them and set up some kind of mutually agreed upon rules for to help give everybody their space, and that they and you could follow? Sometimes it's hard to actually realize that the child is growing up already and is almost a legal adult and shouldn't have to be under such a watchful eye and have so many restrictions placed on them. That's a normal part of parenting, just like wanting to be out on your own is a normal part of growing up. An agreed upon contract of sorts between the three of you might be able to smooth things over for a while, if they will abide by it.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Before you do anything I think you should check on the legal status of leaving home at 17, where you are. Even though you are less than a year away from being a legal adult, in some places parents can call the cops and have them bring back a kid who is only a month or two away from being 18. I'd also talk to your parents and make sure they are going to be ok with you leaving, as in not calling the cops on you.

Is there any chance you could talk to them and set up some kind of mutually agreed upon rules for to help give everybody their space, and that they and you could follow? Sometimes it's hard to actually realize that the child is growing up already and is almost a legal adult and shouldn't have to be under such a watchful eye and have so many restrictions placed on them. That's a normal part of parenting, just like wanting to be out on your own is a normal part of growing up. An agreed upon contract of sorts between the three of you might be able to smooth things over for a while, if they will abide by it.

I turned 18 in November of my senior year in HS. My parents knew I wanted to move out, although they were against it. They said that as long as I was in HS they considered me a minor and that I had to live in their house and obey their rules. Once I graduated, I was free as a bird. I graduated on time that June-and moved out the following Monday.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

They are absolutely NOT OK with me moving out. But no, there's no way, because my dad is a narcissistic abusive as*hole who's not going to change. I've already tried the whole "contract" thing, and it doesn't work.

I mean two can play at that game. If they call the police on me I'm just going to mention that he hits my little brother and sometimes me. They won't do jack for it because of the autism.

That's why my plan involves me leaving the state. I'd be leaving the jurisdiction of our local police, using a bank account in a non-chain bank, and I figure it'd take them a while to figure it out.

I just need until march.

Also I've already graduated high school so that's a non-issue for me.