Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 4:07 pm

I never told anybody on here, but 2013 was a VERY bad year for me. I started taking an antipsychotic called Saphris around October 2012. It is a pill that dissolves under your tongue. Starting in January 2013, I had to have about $9k worth of dental work, including a root canal and several new crowns, due to the acidic effect of Saphris. I stopped it around July 2013, because it was causing cavities faster than my dentist could fix them, AND I had no dental insurance, so I wound up owing my mom $9k, and she ended up almost defaulting on a credit card.

I finally got her paid off, and I finally have dental coverage due to a loophole in Obamacare. But I got lazy on dental hygiene, which along with body hygiene has always been a problem for me, and when I went to the dentist yesterday he says, Pezar, you're not brushing! You didn't brush before coming in today! How dare you! I DID in fact brush, and I showed him how I brushed, and he said, no no no, you're doing it all wrong. :oops: :oops:

So I have four new cavities. My mom is pretty mad because it was my lack of correct brushing that caused it. So, I go in January 21 to get my cavities fixed, and try to brush regularly and correctly from now on. My teeth have just about had it from years and years of drilling and a sugar addiction, and I'm worried that I'll lose them all pretty soon.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Hey Pezar.

Wow that really sucks. I wonder if the pharm company knew about the dental erosion during the clinical trials testing and if they made any attempts to resolve it. At least you figured it out and hopefully, you'll be more proactive with your dental hygiene. Don't be too embarrassed about the brushing method; I didn't know there was a correct way to brush...it wasn't until a few years ago when I was speaking with someone that I learned. How were you brushing? I used to brush horizontally from a left to right/back and forth motion, but then someone pointed out to me that it's supposed to be a vertical from up to down motion. Recently, my aunt said that you're supposed to angle your toothbrush at a certain degree. You'd think that dentists would be up to date and all on the same page, but very rarely do they actually sit and teach their patients correct oral hygiene.

Don't forget to floss :)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

That really sucks.

It wasn't all that long ago that I asked the lady who cleaned my teeth some tips on flossing my teeth...

According to my Aspie logic, the best time to eat sweets is before your meal--that way your meal cleans the sugar out of your mouth. I eat ice cream while making lunch.