Wanting to Socialize, but also don't want to

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2015, 3:42 pm

Does anybody else ever want to talk to others, but feel so anxious about it that it prevents social interaction? :( I often feel really frustrated and unable to just walk up to someone and start a conversation because I'm afraid that I'll say something wrong or offend someone on accident.

Apollo21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2015, 11:17 pm

I understand this completely. Mine is less from anxiety and more from I just don't want to put the effort in. It's so draining keeping up with conversations, knowing the cues and paying attention to everything so that you come off as normal. I often wish there was a way you could skip the "getting to know you" phase and just become great friends who know, respect and understand each other. That way, I don't have to be so "on" all of the time. I've only made it to that point with maybe 4 or 5 people in my entire lifetime, including romantic relationships.

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2015, 12:47 am

I totally agree with what you say as well. I don't want to put in the effort for people I don't like or don't have anything in common with. I too have a core set of people that I can be myself with, but otherwise I feel like I'm wearing a mask. It's hard to get in the morning sometimes and know that I have to wear a "mask" most of the day. Small talk will be the death of me, I swear.

abeautifulmind
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2015, 2:47 am

We have to wear masks when we communicate with people who are not similar to us. We do not have to wear masks with people who are similar to us. By similarity, I mean similarity in intelligence, depth, outlook , interests, creativity level and sometimes, emotions. But for me it is the similarity in IQ level and interests ( such as reading books ) that has been the most prominent factor in communication.
Putting a mask on is nothing but "adaptation" according to me, which is a good skill in a way but also painful at times. I wish that I do not have to wear masks often and neither want my friends to wear any masks. I love being with people who can get me, without them having to wear any masks too.
Having to follow some fixed social rules while conversing or being afraid of offending others while conversing means that you are not yet familiar with the rules of that group but even if you are familiar with those rules someday, and adapt nicely to the group, you might not derive much satisfaction while conversing with them because this is your "learned" behaviour and not "actual/natural" behaviour. Although all types of social behaviour is learned upto some extent but there is something that is unlearned/original/natural/instinctive too and when we get to express it, we are happiest.